Weather or not - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 07-13-2016 Thread Starter

Weather or not

Just wondering if the spring and summer seems to have been unusual for folks in different regions.
In the north east US the usual summer lull in winds hasn't seemed to occur. The usual wind dying at dusk as thermals fail seems to occur less often.
No increase in gales or storms but less often are the times to fly a genny and full main.
Fishing seems different as well. Stripers no longer following past behaviors as regards tides and locale. It's been a good fishing and sailing season but somehow different.
I know " if you don't like New England weather- wait a minute ". Maybe I have a mistaken impression which why I'm asking for your opinion.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-13-2016

Re: Weather or not

Much cooler than usual this June, and drier here.
post #3 of 35 Old 07-13-2016

Here in Maryland, the summer doldrums have just arrived, pretty much the same old - same old. Winds SW 5 - 10 mph on a daily basis, with pop-up thundershowers.

As for the striped bass situation, ASMFC and the state regulators have pretty much screwed the population up again. Maryland increased the minimum size limit, only a handful of charter boats are out fishing for them because catching their 2 fish per person limit is nearly impossible, and the few locations that usually provide some action are producing undersized fish. When the Chesapeake's fish reach four years of age, they migrate up the coast to New England to forage on bunker and mackerel, then migrate back to the bay during the dead of winter, slowly make their way to the natal rivers and spawn when water temperatures reach about 53 degrees. I'm surprised that you have any fish to catch at all up there.

Hope things get better for both of us,

Gary
baywater likes this.

post #4 of 35 Old 07-13-2016 Thread Starter

The fishing from shore with fly has been fairly good. Boat is fine at the hotspots like Cleveland Ledge, mouths of the canal,but various races which in the past were good are dead. Fly hasn't worked for me at all off a boat. Silverside imitations and eels slow trolled in shallow water catch fish near structure. Past experience timing the tides has been useless. Just go when you can. Doesn't seem to matter. Fewer blues more stripers which suits me fine. But mostly schoolies. See more black bass and even bonito then in the past.
Fresh water has been weird as well. Haven't seen a trout all year but catch way more pickerel than in the past and big ones at that. Think the water is warmer even inland. Even deep cold water kettle ponds stocked with trout and salmon produce warm water crappie, bass and yellow perch.
Sorry to hear the Chessie is doing poorly. Maybe I'm seeing Hudson River fish.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 35 Old 07-14-2016

I don't think we've gotten into the usual pattern of trade-like SWer's. We have fronts and lows drop in and drive the wind E and NE more than usual. Today feels more like a July pattern, but it has not been consistent. Offshore fishing S of Marthas Vineyard has been unusual too. The warm fingers of gulf stream water have not made it as far north as usual I suspect stopped by this wind pattern and are stopping at the Canyons (continental shelf). That's made for some great Canyon fishing, but poor fishing on the flat's to the N. Your observations on inshore fishing align with my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
hriehl1 (07-30-2016)
post #6 of 35 Old 07-14-2016 Thread Starter

Much wisdom to your post CC.

What you say makes sense. Friends doing offshore passages both north and south from here have been getting more beat up than usual as grib predictions seem less reliable. Friends went up to Nova Scotia. Had the heat on constantly, worn three layers and never saw the sun. Hate AC but when plugged in it's nearly always on down here.
Just came back from a short cruise of few days. Almost felt like Xmas winds. Very few boats out. Hot, humid air building through the day and wind through the night. Today feels like NE July for the first time in a week.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #7 of 35 Old 07-14-2016

We got caught out fishing S of MV last Friday in the NOAA miss-ed back door cold front. Should have known better, given where the low was, but chose to believe the "most favorable" source. Wild ride home. A few others got caught way down at the canyons and had it even worse. I'd much rather get caught out in a sailboat.

I agree, the forecasters are having a tough time. It's not the usual summer here. I'm hoping it settles into the pattern now, a bit later than usual.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-14-2016

Spring was so late and cold in Downeast Maine, that I didn't get the boat work done that needed to be done, and my boat is still in dry dock. I'm not sure she'll actually make in into the water since now its "friends visiting Bar Harbor for the 100th Anniversary of the park" season.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-14-2016
Old as Dirt!

Perhaps those "up north" have had a late Summer arrival but here on the southwest coast of Florida it seems to have arrived early. We have always scheduled our Summer cruise for several weeks beginning with the first week of June. Originally because of our daughter's school schedule and later because it was warm and pleasant but not miserably hot as it usually is in late July, August and September; and, because the squalls don't usually arrive until late in the day/early evening giving one good windows to travel yet reach and settle into a good anchorage. This year, however, the "miserably hot" days seemed to begin much earlier and the squalls have been hitting us from mid-day on. So, for the first time in 20+ years, we decided to pass on the cruise but will make up for it (I hope!) with an early and extended Thanksgiving Cruise. Unless, of course, winter arrives equally early!

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #10 of 35 Old 07-14-2016

Sunspot activity is currently quite low (at a minimum of the normal ~11 year cycle), and has been exceptionally low during the entire current 'solar cycle' since about 2008, and earlier. This typically leads to average cooler than normal weather.

SWS - Solar Conditions - Monthly Sunspot Numbers ... see chart.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in