A pissant squall - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

A pissant squall

Some of you may be aware that I'm kinda a conservative sailor. I don't like breaking gear, nor paying for a replacement, never mind the work involved in replacing broken gear. It's a rare day when we don't begin a sail with a deeply reefed main and see what develops.
Saturday was one of those rare days. We set a full main (with our ever present Yankee jib) for our sail from St. George's anchorage to Tyrrel Bay. 39 miles. Over a sometimes active volcano.
East a touch south the winds topping out at 14 knots and a bit of a kick from the current after the lee with dips to 8 knots once in a while. Then it settled in to a steady 11 knots. It was really pleasant, with a few clouds momentarily varying the wind speed and direction, just to keep us from falling asleep.
"Want me to get the rain gear?" my wife asks as she shrugs at the squall pictured below. I wave my hand dismissively, "Naw."
I mean look at it. It's about as threatening as a cotton ball!
First and foremost; I can see under it, heck, I can see THROUGH it!
There's no white water under it. None at all. The cloud isn't black and threatening, but light and airy. And it seems tiny, maybe 200 feet across.
Then about a hundred feet from the boat a tiny bit of that smooth water that indicates heavy rain peeks out under the rain. White caps begin to appear in front of the smooth patch and we get hit with somewhere around 40 knots. With full main and Yankee. We are barreling along at better than 9 knots in seconds as I ease the main sheet and Nikki eases the jib and I fall off. 20 minutes or so of cold rain and wind. Sucker punched by a pissant squall? LOL Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
pissant squall 1a.jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2016

Re: A pissant squall

...and then, usually followed by the ubiquitous 'water spouts'.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2016

Dock

Yippee. You now have clean decks

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
...and then, usually followed by the ubiquitous 'water spouts'.
Ah, yes.. the mobile 'drive-thru car wash' for boats. Suds are extra.
RichH, zeehag and seabeau like this.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #5 of 14 Old 07-25-2016

True that. I spent years in the ITCZ. The squalls you can see under and around, the young ones, can be the worst. But 40 knots sounds like fun downwind with white sails ... In a ULDB cruiser. But at 9 knots ... Ugh.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2016

It's the downdraft that gets ya!

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2016
Barquito

Wow. Someone who knows weather, explain that one. Doesn't even look like enough cloud to produce rain.

Valiant 32
post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2016

It's a small microburst. I got nailed by one about a year ago that looked just like it, and struck about 100 yards after I rounded a racing mark. They're very localized and their highest winds are at the leading edge and usually pass by fairly quickly unless you're foolish enough to sail in the same direction that they're moving. Because some of them can be quite small, they don't look very threatening, but they can knock down a small boat and have been known to knock a jetliner out of the sky when trying to land through one. Here's some general info: Microbursts: downburst less than 2.5 miles in diameter
Barquito and mbianka like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2016

Believe it or not, in Arizona we get microbursts, some major and as destructive as a hurricane. Minutes later, they're gone!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-25-2016

They're all pissants until they drive your top rail under.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in