Jersey Shore Dry Slips - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter

Jersey Shore Dry Slips

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a dry slip in NJ's Lawrence Harbor area? I'm looking for a place to put a 16-20ft dinghy for the season. I can be as far South as Leonardo and as as far North as Liberty Landing.

I'm currently shopping for a centerboard dinghy for my family, possibly a Flying Scot or similar. While I don't trust keeping it in the water, I'd like to see if there's a better alternative than trailering her back and forth between the shore and my home in Mercer County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2016

Re: Jersey Shore Dry Slips

With a 16-20ft dinghy, raising and lowering the mast is usually only a 20-30min operation (if that long). so dropping the mast and trailering the boat around a marina to and from the ramp, shouldn't be that big of a deal.

many marina's offer ramp service and dry storage. you've specified a fairly large swath of the jersey coast. i think you'll need to figure out where you want to sail first and then scout marina's nearby

if you're in mercer county (like me, in hamilton) and new to sailing, i'd suggest before venturing into the ocean or barnegat bay, that you give Lake Mercer and/or Manesquan reservoir a shot first. it does mean trailering home each time, but it's a short distance and it's much more calm water.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdidomenico For This Useful Post:
Nephroid (08-09-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdidomenico View Post

if you're in mercer county (like me, in hamilton) and new to sailing, i'd suggest before venturing into the ocean or barnegat bay, that you give Lake Mercer and/or Manesquan reservoir a shot first. it does mean trailering home each time, but it's a short distance and it's much more calm water.
Thanks! Part of my dilemma is that I can't keep a trailer at my house so goal would have been to keep the boat dry slipped in the summer and then store it away at my dad's farm in the winter.

I'm in Plainsboro, so just about 10 min from Mercer. Was also looking at Assunpink Lake as well. Have you sailed there before?

I did most of my sailing lessons out of Liberty Landing on the Hudson and also Powerboated out of Keansburg as a kid. So was generally looking at marinas an hour's drive from home.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2016

Look at the Flying Scot Class website for nearby fleets. Typically they are located at clubs that are set up to support dry sailing.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephroid View Post
Thanks! Part of my dilemma is that I can't keep a trailer at my house so goal would have been to keep the boat dry slipped in the summer and then store it away at my dad's farm in the winter.
Ah, yes, i have the same issue where i'm at. i live in a HOA that doesn't permit trailer storage overnight. i ended up selling my dinghy before i moved into the HOA and bought a bigger boat that i leave slipped in barnegat.

Quote:
I'm in Plainsboro, so just about 10 min from Mercer. Was also looking at Assunpink Lake as well. Have you sailed there before?
i'm not sure you can actually boat on assunpink lake. i wouldn't have thought it's big enough, nor is there any ramp access to it. most people just fish it as far as i know.

Quote:
I did most of my sailing lessons out of Liberty Landing on the Hudson and also Powerboated out of Keansburg as a kid. So was generally looking at marinas an hour's drive from home.
i looked at a google map of the area you mentioned in your first post. it looks like there are a few marina's in that area that I'm sure you could cut a deal with even if they don't officially allow dry sailing. i also noticed a marina that hosts a fleet of hobie cat's, that's probably where i'd start looking.

it's unfortunate that lake mercer doesn't allow dry storage. awhile ago i had a half hearted idea of trying to convince the caspian rowing center to allow dry storage, but i never made contact with them. if i were to get another dinghy to sail on the lake in the evenings i'd probably try again, but having a few more dedicated sailors would help the cause.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-09-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for looking! I love Barnegat but I'm worried it's a little too far a drive for me. I'm definitely going to have to look for that marina with the Hobie Cats. Do you recall where you saw it?

The Assunpink Lake I'm thinking of is down near Millstone between 195 and 33. It's almost as big as Mercer. I've kayak fished there before and there's a nice concrete ramp and fair sized parked lot as well. Seems to mostly frequented by bass boats.

Not sure about the depth though.

Assunpink Lake, New Jersey
https://goo.gl/maps/7UG1PAFqLE32
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2016

Oh, I've not been to that lake. I got slightly confused. by lake mercer there something called the assunpink center which is a dam on the miry brook. which is not the same place.

the hobie cat place was closer to leonardo, i just followed the shore line on google maps. it stood out pretty clearly

barnegat township is probably right about an hour from plainsboro. i drive it from hamilton every weekend, it's a straight shot down 539.

Last edited by mdidomenico; 08-10-2016 at 11:59 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdidomenico View Post
the hobie cat place was closer to leonardo, i just followed the shore line on google maps. it stood out pretty clearly
Thanks, man!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2016
Seņor Member

I think these are the guys you're looking for... SHBCC , I haven't been there in a decade, but I don't remember any dock - you have to beach launch...
The Following User Says Thank You to ottos For This Useful Post:
Nephroid (08-16-2016)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
I think these are the guys you're looking for... SHBCC , I haven't been there in a decade, but I don't remember any dock - you have to beach launch...
Thanks! I looked up their website. It actually looks perfect. I grew up in Holmdel so Sandy Hook was always a popular haunt. A bit far from Plainsboro but worth checking out. Going to see if I can stop by this weekend and say hello.

Hopefully they're monohull friendly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in