Windlass technique: use messenger/snubber line with chain? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 61 Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Windlass technique: use messenger/snubber line with chain?

Is the swivel needed at all? Is the issue related to twist caused by putting tension on three-strand rode?

Also, why did you use double-braid for rode? I always thought that three-strand had more stretch, thus providing shock absorption.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 Old 08-08-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Is the swivel needed at all?
It is my understanding that any swivel is THE weak link in the anchor tackle. I've taken mine out and have no intention of replacing it. By the way, other than 4 nights on the Grenada Yacht club dock a year ago, we've been anchored for more than 660 consecutive nights, so our anchor tackle is pretty important to us.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 61 Old 08-09-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Removed my swivel also

Having 90 feet of chain before the rope road gives me piece of mind when anchoring where there are rocks or even rebar/ trees sunken which could saw an all rope road . Besides the weight of chain helps to lower the cantenary angle and helps prevent anchor wrap in a current situation.

I'd replace the whole windlass ,. What brand type is it?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #14 of 61 Old 08-09-2016

Please dont use a trip line with a float unless anchoring in very foul bottom.
The float interferes with the swing room of other boats trying to anchor nearby.
A boat or dinghy passimg thru at night cant see it and can snag it, tripping your anchor.
You can drift over your anchor and snag the trip line in your prop or rudder.
The float interferes with the swing room of other boats trying to anchor nearby.

We cruise full time from Maine to the Bahamas and maybe, at most, 1% of boats use a trip line.

You could tie one end of a line to the anchor shank and tie the other end about 10' up the rode. When retrieving anchor, untie the end from the rode and wrap it around the drum to finish the retrieval. It will be quite muddy unless you anchor in sand. Do you have a washdown system?
jrd22 likes this.
post #15 of 61 Old 08-09-2016

They make self adjusting anchor floats. Multiple advantages:
Marks where the anchor is. Big flag so helps prevents others from running over it. Also no slack to catch in props.
No way trip line can tangle in rode. No chafe.
Easy to use. Pull in rode until close. Pull up float with boat hook. Use that to get last bit up.
Also great if anchor gets fouled.
Made to survive for multiple seasons as designed for your use.
Short additional money especially c/w what you would pay buying components
Can retrieve anchor if you need to cut and run.

Still agree with others. I've been known to move if boat in front is rope and it's going to be a windy night. Same if I don't see snubbers on chain. People forget it's windage not displacement that is the concern for rode stresses except for the effects of the up and down from chop. Good rope rode needs to be strong. Loading and unloading, abrasions from small particles of dirt and shells wears it out. Always wonder about the strength of a rope rode on an old boat and if it was ever changed out. Seen them break. Not pretty. Usually no way to re anchor on the boat. Leave your keys in the engine at all times. Even when you are not on the boat please. Then there's a chance someone can save your boat if you are not around.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-09-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #16 of 61 Old 08-09-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Please dont use a trip line with a float unless anchoring in very foul bottom.
A boat or dinghy passimg thru at night cant see it and can snag it, tripping your anchor.
You can drift over your anchor and snag the trip line in your prop or rudder.

We cruise full time from Maine to the Bahamas and maybe, at most, 1% of boats use a trip line.

You could tie one end of a line to the anchor shank and tie the other end about 10' up the rode. When retrieving anchor, untie the end from the rode and wrap it around the drum to finish the retrieval. It will be quite muddy unless you anchor in sand. Do you have a washdown system?
Nope...

If the trip line is attached to the chain/nylon as I did in my illustration, then the trip line, and the float, remain below the surface until you raise the anchor. The key is to use a trip line that is only about 3' longer than the chain. I did this for over 5 years, and 100s of days at anchor without a problem.

The only time that I ever remember being concerned while anchoring with this setup was one day inside of the Point Judith breakwater, when some newb, after dragging his anchor three times, motored past me about 10 feet off my bow. He caught, and almost cut, my anchor line on his keel! I had about 6:1 scope out in about 12 feet of water. I saw my anchor line bounce as his keel motored over it... Thank God he didn't catch my rode with his prop... If he did, however, I could have easily found the anchor, as the trip line and float would have been easy for me to snag with the grappling anchor that I keep onboard for my dinghy.

This had nothing to do with the trip line, but had everything to do with his lack of seamanship. If you have to pass close to boats at anchor, you should pass close by their stern, NOT their bow.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #17 of 61 Old 08-09-2016

Trip line with float is just asking for trouble in the real world--don't do it! The answer is simple if you don't have a long length of chain there is no reason not to go with just six feet of chain. When you get as close to the anchor as you can, cleat off the line and motor forward a little bit to break the anchor free. Then pull it in. Despite all the yattering classes here on the Internet there is no need or reason for all chain or even long lengths of chain if anchoring in mud and sand bottoms where there is no coral. I have anchored this way perfectly peacefully up and down most of the East Coast when using my secondary anchor, which is a Fortress on a short length of chain (probably 10 feet) and the rest nylon. There is no gain with having say 15 feet or 30 feet of chain over just 6 feet if the bottom is not likely to chafe the rode. Get to the Caribbean or someplace with coral and things change a lot and long lengths of chain are mandatory unless you are very careful with how you anchor.
post #18 of 61 Old 08-09-2016
Learning the HARD way...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #19 of 61 Old 08-09-2016

By the way, for those that don't know I am pretty sure the OP is anchoring in the Chesapeake which has deep, deep mud in most places. Anchor chain will come aboard with huge gobs of the stinky stuff. Anchoring on mostly rope rode is perfectly safe and probably superior to all chain there, so shorten up on the chain leader, use the engine to break the anchor free. Works perfectly. I have done it hundreds of times on boats in the Chesapeake. Chances are you will be anchored in less than 10 feet of water most of the time so any type of float used would be very vulnerable to being fouled by someone, if you don't foul your own float when the wind goes against the current in some locations. If there is a float on something someone will foul it--guaranteed! I once helped someone unwind a Cuttyhunk mooring ball he had managed to back over and wind up, then the ball jammed in the rudder opening for the propellor!
TakeFive likes this.
post #20 of 61 Old 08-09-2016
Courtney the Dancer

Keep it simple. When (not if) you have to quickly haul anchor at 0300 in a gale you don't want to be messing with extra lines/floats etc that WILL tangle on something. If you don't want to scratch your pretty windlass by wrapping the chain (more the better) around it then just pull that section by hand. On a 34' boat you won't have more than a 30 lb anchor so it shouldn't be a problem (keep a pair of rubberized gloves that fit well handy).

ps three strand nylon is excellent for anchor rode
flyrod likes this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in