Just curious if anyone still makes a living fixing up old sailboats - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 08-11-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Just curious if anyone still makes a living fixing up old sailboats

There are just too many decent, cheap boats flooding the market since the early 2000's for "flipping" boats to be a viable business that would put food on your table and a roof over your head. No need to pay a premium to some guy who slapped a coat of single-part, Interlux Brightsides on a hull and calls it a "refurbish."
TomMaine likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 08-11-2016
arrgh!

Dock

The one way it seems to me that it might work is location to location.

For example:
I have my eye out for a Wayfarer (or a CL 16) -- again a smaller boat. I have a google alert for them and one will pop up about every week.

One thing I notice is you can find ones that go for $800 (usually in Ohio) and those that go for $1,400 (New England). I would guess if you live in a $1,400 city, but often traveled. You could buy it in one place and sell it in another. And with the transportation and some repairs.. make a profit

Still dicey, but if you were regularly traveling in the right places...

As I was writing this, I had a thought why it doesn't work.. and it is related to the post that said there are a lot of cheap boats out there.

I need a house/apartment to live in and in most places a vehicle for transportation --- those aren't really luxuries

I like having a sailboat, but not as import. So when I wanted a Wayfarer, I didn't only look at wayfarer and -- consequently -- ended up with a cheaper/similar boat.

There might be a market.. to a select profile --Wealth group of sailors who like a certain boat. Like retooling VW Buses to a collector. I'm guessing not that many though
TomMaine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #13 of 41 Old 08-11-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

Oh no, I don't have any interest in flipping boats - I just try to buy cheap and sell cheap - I try to buy boats fairly well equipped so not having to add a lot of stuff - but the stuff I need is pretty basic so never a big investment.
I see adds on CL for older boats that someone has sunk a lot of money into fixing it up they way they want it -and then wanting to get the money out of it they put into it - I don't care how nice you have fixed up a 1979 Catalina 27 - its not worth $17,000 maybe $7K.

There is a 1973 Westerly Padgett ( basically a 25 foot boat) on Sailboatlistings.com , plus it was featured in Small Craft Advisor magazine, the guy did an amazing job of redoing it to his needs - but he now has it for sale and he wants $45K for it - for a 1970's Westerly Padgett that would be lucky to fetch $4k in good shape without the mods.

I also see some who put the NADA value in their ad - the book says my 1970's era sailboat is worth $15K - on these older boats - it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay - if you have had the boat for sale for 6 months and the best offer has been $5k - that is what the boat is worth.

post #14 of 41 Old 08-11-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Oh no, I don't have any interest in flipping boats - I just try to buy cheap and sell cheap - I try to buy boats fairly well equipped so not having to add a lot of stuff - but the stuff I need is pretty basic so never a big investment.
I see adds on CL for older boats that someone has sunk a lot of money into fixing it up they way they want it -and then wanting to get the money out of it they put into it - I don't care how nice you have fixed up a 1979 Catalina 27 - its not worth $17,000 maybe $7K.

There is a 1973 Westerly Padgett ( basically a 25 foot boat) on Sailboatlistings.com , plus it was featured in Small Craft Advisor magazine, the guy did an amazing job of redoing it to his needs - but he now has it for sale and he wants $45K for it - for a 1970's Westerly Padgett that would be lucky to fetch $4k in good shape without the mods.

I also see some who put the NADA value in their ad - the book says my 1970's era sailboat is worth $15K - on these older boats - it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay - if you have had the boat for sale for 6 months and the best offer has been $5k - that is what the boat is worth.

one of the funny things about those ads..

come back in two weeks, reduced

then in September really reduced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #15 of 41 Old 08-11-2016

I just saw an ad for a 5 year old boat built by a local boat builder. The boat is in perfect condition, lightly used and very well cared for - like new.

The builder also has an in-house boat brokerage, and that's where I saw the ad.

One of the selling points was this: "Buy for a fraction of the cost of building new".
baywater likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #16 of 41 Old 08-12-2016

There is a surefire way to end up with a million dollars by fixing up old sailboats:

...start with two million dollars!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #17 of 41 Old 08-12-2016

I'm sure the closest way to "make a living" at this would be to hire yourself out to some rich dude, who bought an old collectible, and you're paid to restore it. i.e. it's not about making profit for the boat owner.

Of course, you would have to find enough of these jobs.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm sure the closest way to "make a living" at this would be to hire yourself out to some rich dude, who bought an old collectible, and you're paid to restore it. i.e. it's not about making profit for the boat owner.

Of course, you would have to find enough of these jobs.
You've just defined a reputable boat yard with a history of satisfied clientele. There are a few examples of this in my area. They charge honest rates, make an honest profit, and have highly skilled people happily working for them.

For the yards with this type of history, they don't have to look for work, the work comes to them.

Even though they have all the parts and potential hulls, I don't see these yards rehabbing boats for spec. But some will build new and make a profit.

Boats are tough!
capecodda and baywater like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #19 of 41 Old 08-12-2016

A perfect opportunity for a deep pocket DIY kinda guy. Made the headlines and quite a few comments her on SN a awhile back.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #20 of 41 Old 08-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
A perfect opportunity for a deep pocket DIY kinda guy. Made the headlines and quite a few comments her on SN a awhile back.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Geez, the picture looks like it is made out of OSB!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in