Chris Craft 35 owners? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2016 Thread Starter

Chris Craft 35 owners?

Hello I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there are any Chris Craft 35 owners on here? I own a 1964 Chris Craft and just love her odd and classy styling. This is my second sail boat and hopefully the last. I think she has everything I need or can make do with for now. I plan to spend the next few years getting used to her on the great lakes then head down the Mississippi to complete the loop.

My wife and I are newbie sailors We started July 4th 2016 on a 25' Morgan. I think its great that by chance we started sailing on the July 4th kind of getting a jump start on our own independence that started as only a dream. We learned a lot from our little Morgan "Dragonfly" and after taking her an a 120mi voyage from Tawas Bay to Alpena and back, we knew this was what we wanted to do when the kids got out of the house. I immediately started looking for a boat that would meet most of our future needs. I knew I wanted a center cockpit boat but wasn't crazy about a ketch rig or a boat around 40' or more. I was also looking for a boat built prior to 1972. In talking to other sailors this was before they started using cores and suck for building boats. I knew I wanted a boat with fiberglass on top of fiberglass, built at a time when peoples work was their worth and money was cheap.

Once I saw Northern Light I knew this was the boat for us. She checked almost all of the boxes for us. She's not real fast but she is stable, tough, and elegant. I always tell people "Yep she a Chris Craft, the sailboat with a windshield and wipers" I think more sailboats need windshields. That has come in handy more than a few times on some of our passages. It would be nice if they opened though. My wife likes to go forward on the deck and try to talk to me, with the engine running its impossible to hear anything. Of course shes up there flailing her arms and shouting something back. Its usually "Do you see that boat up there?" which is 1/4 mile away. But sometimes especially at dark its a buoy marking the river or a log.

So if there is anyone out there that owns or thinking about buying one of these gems I'd like to hear from you.

I plan to make a video of her soon and will post the link once thats complete in the next few weeks.

Last edited by DeGraw75; 08-22-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Chris Craft 35 owners?

I have recently uploaded a walk through video of our boat. I cant seem to share the link because I haven't posted enough times yet. If you are curious though just go to youtube and type in Chris Craft Sailboat.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-12-2016
Old enough to know better

I think they are really pretty boats. I looked at a couple, kind of strange the way they are constructed, almost like a wooden boat. Shure have a lot of sheer to them, not subtle at all in when it comes to looks. I have not been out on one, though. There was a couple on the LIS for sale quite reasonably.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #4 of 11 Old 10-12-2016

Sailed on a Chris craft Caribbean 35 when I was a kid in high school. same hull different deck. nice boat in the day. only thing I really remember is it was very slow, we could not keep up with any other boat. would be last in every race. The boat had cotton/ linen sails. the owner did not want any of those new fangled plastic or Dacron or what ever they are sails.
I went to HS with his Grandson and he still has the original mainsail and a spinnaker from the boat.
miatapaul likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 11 Old 10-12-2016

I watched your video. Interesting boat! Looks well built. Is the cabin structure built in wood or is it a veneer?

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2016

What a fascinating and well kept boat!

She seems an excellent choice for the great lakes. Safe, heavy, full keel, with ample weather protection and a sensible draft.

Love the windshield, that'll keep the rain and snow off your face.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I watched your video. Interesting boat! Looks well built. Is the cabin structure built in wood or is it a veneer?
It is painted wood. In the 60's these boats were especially well built. Later they were built in Taiwan and are not as desirable. I would think it would be the case for most boats built in Taiwan when it was booming.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Sailed on a Chris craft Caribbean 35 when I was a kid in high school. same hull different deck. nice boat in the day. only thing I really remember is it was very slow, we could not keep up with any other boat. would be last in every race. The boat had cotton/ linen sails. the owner did not want any of those new fangled plastic or Dacron or what ever they are sails.
I went to HS with his Grandson and he still has the original mainsail and a spinnaker from the boat.
She is quite heavy so tacking is slow but I have no problem keeping up with most boats in the Bay. I have never officially raced it but as they say. What do you call two boats sailing side by side? Racing. She has a 150% Genoa and seems to do fairly well in light air also. What I don't like is her furling boom. I plan to go to slab reefing for next season.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGraw75 View Post
Hello I'm new to the forum and was wondering if there are any Chris Craft 35 owners on here? I own a 1964 Chris Craft and just love her odd and classy styling. This is my second sail boat and hopefully the last. I think she has everything I need or can make do with for now. I plan to spend the next few years getting used to her on the great lakes then head down the Mississippi to complete the loop.
Hi there, hopefully you are still active.

I am currently looking at buying a Sail Yacht 35 in Gig Harbor. I believe it is a 1963, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I saw your YouTube video and you probably know a lot more now than you did then, which still seemed to be a lot. I have reviewed all the information I could find, which was not a lot, but still gave me a basic idea of the quality and potential issues with the boat.

Here is the Craigslist page in sections becuse I can't add the link if you care to take a look.

seattle.craigslist .org/see/boa/d/gig-harbor- classic-35-sparkman-stephens/ 6929063682 .html

My concerns that may not be evident from the ad include: paint bubbles along the cabin trunk, and was told there was some leakage around the portholes. The underlying plywood appears to be sound, but I expect I would need to strip, caulk, and rercoat the affected areas anyway and don't find that to be too much of a dealbreaker.

It has a Perkins 4-108 that seems to be in good working order, if a little aged.

I am concerned about the area where the deck meets the hull, there is some paint coming off, which from a construction standpoint often indicates more serious issues underneath. I have seen mixed reports as to the underlying material in this area and wondered if you knew if it could be delaminated or if it is more likely to be a surface issue. I wasn't sure the quality of the bond if it was glass to glass, or if their was something else that could be a structural issue.

I also think the hose lines, electrical, and water and fuel systems are original, although the aft head appears to have been updated from original. Do you have any experience upgrading/replacing any of these systems?

The rigging, including pulleys, etc., appears to be original, but mostly in good repair, probably would want to replace the teak pulleys to be safe. I have some more pictures I took of the (potential) issues I have noticed if you are interested.

From what I have seen elsewhere, 20k is a pretty good price for this if it is in good shape, but I am inexperienced with sailing in general (why I wanted to start with a motor sailor style boat) and am mostly wanting a liveaboard, but I also want to learn on a good boat and enjoy the craftsmanship and styling of the boats from this era. It would also be just me at this time, I'm mid thirties and fairly handy and determined, but I also don't want to dive directly into a huge project when there are better equipped (if not as classy) boats available for a similar price.

My contact is billybbixby @ g mail .com if you would like to reach out directly. Any help is appreciated! T Fox
post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

T Fox
I tried to send you an email but haven't heard back so will post on here.

I looked at the craigslist post and the only thing that concerns me is when I see them painted. I always wonder if there is something being covered up. I know on our boat that is the case, our our cabin trunk has some epoxy in it. I donít know of a good way to test for this that isnít somewhat destructive. Chances are it wouldnít take away structurally but if it were me I would want to go back to varnish.

The deck joint is a good question. I believe its just glass but have never been in there to tell. I would think some sort of sealant was used but can't say for sure.

As far as hoses and such they will probably have to be cut off. We replaced ours since they were original as well and were quite petrified. The fuel system should be all copper (we have a gas engine) and is one of the best systems out there. Mind you our boat has never seen salt but, copper is far superior to rubber hoses and plastic found in most boats.

Knowing what I know now it would be very hard to talk me out of owning one of these boats. They are so solid and well built not much else compares. With solid fiberglass decks and haul all of the other things concerns you have are all just part of owning a boat.

One thing I have heard of is the compression post. Be sure the stringer midships is solid as the top of it is not glassed and can get moisture inside. We found some moisture in ours this spring but a few weeks later it was fine. I plan to fix this over the winter.

We had planned on living aboard but havenít gotten to that point yet. I like the two cabins so there is privacy if we have another couple aboard. I also like all the space in the engine bay, much time has been spent in there as well.

If you have any other questions let me know, I enjoy talking boats. I also wouldnít mind seeing more pictures if you donít mind sharing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in