Dinghy Material - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Re: Dinghy Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have a walker bay Genesis. Bought it because transom folds down so good vision forward when deflated and folded down on passage. Otherwise lives on davits. Port tube leaks after 3 years. Can't find leak. Think it's where seat hits tube. Frustrated.
Thinking of tossing it and going the Lin and Larry route with a fatty knees. Tired oh chasing this when I have other prep work to do. Thoughts? Talk me out of a hard dinghy please.

Splash out for a decent RIB, with a 15 HP outboard. Your misses aint't going to like the wet panty ride into the yacht club...I know you have a lot of concern for your gals comfort and safety.. a little bitty hard dink, get real dude. Are you going to do A DON XXX on a cheesy dink?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
A PVC cheesey dink after six months in the tropics. A bargain at 400 British Pounds. The stiff upper lip and a man and his dog not happy with the bargain.
Doesn't look like the repair is at the seam, nor caused by sunburm. Looks like it got poked by something sharp.

I can show you pics of my PVC dinghy - lives outside in the Southern Calif sun for a LOOONG time. Not a leak nor a patch after more than a decade of use this way. Mine was also more than $400 - you get what you pay for.
post #53 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
A PVC cheesey dink after six months in the tropics. A bargain at 400 British Pounds. The stiff upper lip and a man and his dog not happy with the bargain.
Not all PVC is created equal and at 400 GBP ( about 500 usd ) I would imagine the quality of the PVC was what you'd expect. BTW, That doesn't really look like material or seam failure, it looks like damage and a kinda cheesy repair.

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone

post #54 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Not all PVC is created equal and at 400 GBP ( about 500 usd ) I would imagine the quality of the PVC was what you'd expect. BTW, That doesn't really look like material or seam failure, it looks like damage and a kinda cheesy repair.
Your half right. Seam failure and cheesy repair in the tropicis. sorry, no downwind marine, West marine or anybody else. That dinghy was just on the dock getting repaired by an elderly cruising couple from South Africa/Britain. Was hoping that some brilliant minds here might get the idea about investing in PVC..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #55 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Doesn't look like the repair is at the seam, nor caused by sunburm. Looks like it got poked by something sharp.

I can show you pics of my PVC dinghy - lives outside in the Southern Calif sun for a LOOONG time. Not a leak nor a patch after more than a decade of use this way. Mine was also more than $400 - you get what you pay for.
Great for you at the dock, at what 24 north? Not my dinghy either. You get to use this thing maybe once week? Not your main ride to shore? Not picking up provisions, fuel, water. Exploring exotic anchorages? Fishing. Diving. Draging it up a beach, alongside a rusty rebar pier..alongside a mexican panga, jigging for squid, trolling for some bait fish, ...didn't think so...so cal boy...

post #56 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Splash out for a decent RIB, with a 15 HP outboard. Your misses aint't going to like the wet panty ride into the yacht club...I know you have a lot of concern for your gals comfort and safety.. a little bitty hard dink, get real dude. Are you going to do A DON XXX on a cheesy dink?
Heh. A pal who does not mind getting their pants wet is easier to find, and likely more fun, than a RIB with 15hp. Trade that misses in. Where I cruise likely candidates for the dinghy companion position swim out to the boat to say "Hello?"

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #57 of 64 Old 09-03-2016

I like my hardshell, and so does Mrs Arcb. Ribs are good grocery getters, but they aren't very nice boats. I guess it depends if you just need function, a toyota tercel on the water, or if you actually get some fun out of your dink too.

I row my hardshell and sail it. I have a motor, for it, but I've never used it. Then, I have a shallow draft, so I can usually anchor fairly close to shore, or find a different Anchorage.
post #58 of 64 Old 09-04-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Used the new dinghy yesterday. It's GREAT!
Lazerbrains likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #59 of 64 Old 09-04-2016
HANUMAN

First dink was a Hypalon Caribe I purchased used, must have been 20+ years old when it got hit by a car in the boatyard, cracking the transom. I pinned and glued it together, getting another couple of years out of it. But it started leaking water around the transom and starting to look like a real POS.

Enter #2, a hypalon air deck model from Mercury. Well the air deck part ain't hypalon (read the fine print) and it lasted TWO YEARS before I needed a replacement floor. The dealer (Defender) suggested I keep the PVC floor out of the sunlight and out of contact with gas. It's a friggen dink in a boat yard, one would think...whatever.... So floor number two got covered with a scrap of indood/outdoor carpet. And guess what, the second floor lasted about 3-4 years before it started to leak. Gasoline + PVC air deck = goo.

I now drive 10' a Mercury hypalon RIB. I found a 15 HP two stoke in 'like new' condition on craigslist. I'm happy and I go fast

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #60 of 64 Old 09-04-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have a walker bay Genesis. Bought it because transom folds down so good vision forward when deflated and folded down on passage. Otherwise lives on davits. Port tube leaks after 3 years. Can't find leak. Think it's where seat hits tube. Frustrated.
Thinking of tossing it and going the Lin and Larry route with a fatty knees. Tired oh chasing this when I have other prep work to do. Thoughts? Talk me out of a hard dinghy please.
If I had to get it on board and lashed down, I'd buy a Puffin. Row well, motor well. I had a hypalon wood slat floor, did fine until the seams gave up. Could have fixed it, but got a deal on a PVC RIB. Three seasons in in Maine, it looks like hell, but works fine. Can't imagine how poorly it would do in harsher UV of the tropics.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in