Just curious - why so many Hunter haters here on this board? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 167 Old 09-01-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Just curious - why so many Hunter haters here on this board?

I don't see it. Not too many "Hunter Haters" here, as I think that most of us understand the compromises involved in all aspects of designing any boat.

Things that I don't like about some of the Hunters that I teach on;
  • In-mast roller furling
  • Swept back spreader rig
  • One has a self-tending jib which $uck$
  • Many have relatively high freeboard
  • The "Hunter Arch" and bimini block your view of the sail and the top of the mast
  • The handling of that Cherubini 37 cutter in a confined space

Things that I like about some of the Hunters that I teach on;
  • The amount of interior room
  • The fact that the boats are loaded with ammenities, at least compared with my ancient tub
  • All of the through hulls are under ONE panel
  • Big Yanmar engines
  • The Cherubini 37 while crossing Buzzards Bay through chop is as stable as any boat of that size could be
  • The price you pay for what you get

Given the choice, in general I'd opt for a similar sized Catalina (better overall build quality IMHO. But, I have no hate for Hunters.
nolatom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 167 Old 09-01-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Ha ha, I would love to have the close quarters handling ability of a 37' Cherubini.
You can have it! It will be for sale soon in Rhode Island. Price guesstimate is ~$40K. PM me if you want details.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #13 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
The haters will show up. Don't worry. BTW, I have the same boat as you alctel.
Ralph
Yeah, you've got the model with a QB right? Interested to see how that looks

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

post #14 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

I had serious thoughts about buying a Hunter 28.5 until I saw the Morgan 33 Out Island sitting next to it.

Gary
post #15 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
My sail has chafe patches on it for where it hits the spreaders. The sail is 16 years old and the chafe patches have not yet needed to be replaced.

Like most "Hunter" type things it really is only a problem on internet forums.

BTW - I feel that SSB is going the way of the dinosaurs. Like everything I post it is only my opinion.
The chafe patches work just fine and for coastal sailing you can simply reach back and forth when you are well off the wind and your good to go. Sailing for days on end offshore on a dead downwind course is when deeply swept back spreaders are a bit of a pain because you simply can't let the main out far enough. As the breeze pipes up your main is contributing to helm which makes the vane or autopilot work more than if the sail was almost 90 degrees to the wind. The Hunter is not alone with deeply swept spreaders as the French boats share that same design. It's a cheaper rig to build so that's a plus but dead downwind is its weakness. Now being an ex beer can racer type we never sailed dead downwind because it's most often the slowest point of sail but with good steady trade winds it's not uncommon to be doing hull speed ddw so it's a favorite set up for many sailors. Main all the way out and prevented and the jib poled out, life is good.
post #16 of 167 Old 09-01-2016
RTB
TROUBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Yeah, you've got the model with a QB right? Interested to see how that looks
I'll try to get you a pic or two. Right now, I'm prepping for Hermine, and the quarter berth is full of stuff!

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

post #17 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

I don't know where you get the "Hunter hater" thing. And by "so many", you're talking about a large group? I don't think so. I've been a member of this site for many years, and have never noticed any "Hunter haters".

I've seen them criticized, along with other production boats like Beneteau and Catalina, but some of that might be attributed to some people not understanding the role and function of a "coastal cruiser".

If what you're looking for is a discussion on Hunters, that's fine, but how about dropping the "hater" label? Who needs that kind of divisiveness?
Lazerbrains likes this.
post #18 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

Side question:
Which (if any) of the Cherubini Hunters had encapsulated lead keel instead of a bolt on keel?
Any info will be appreciated.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #19 of 167 Old 09-01-2016
HANUMAN

Ahhhh, it's like he never left.

Anyway, there are not many Hunter "haters". There are those that drop the occasional jab or snide remark, but that's life in general.

What happens is usually one of two things;

1. Someone starts a thread about how Hunters are just as good or superior to all other vessels, capable of anything and probably better at it, then the cannons fire. Then the OP backpedals and says everything is a trade off, then towards the end of the post comes another: Hunters are just as good as anything, probably better. Any attempt at reasonable conversation is taken as a jab, the cannons fire another volley.

2. Someone joins and starts a thread asking if they should buy this Hunter off craigslist to sail around the world, leaving next week, with little or no sailing experience, does the engine really need to be running and what kind of water maker do I need? They are probably never heard from again as they went off to the hang gliding or base jumping forums to ask silly questions. This leaves the rest of us arguing about stringers or keels falling off Oysters and Hunters. No one ever mentions a life raft or a Sat phone or an epirb.

Henredon sells couches, so does Ikea. If I had to take my dream couch around the world, I would do it on a Heredon couch, but others have gone 'round the world on an Ikea couch.
chall03, arf145, chef2sail and 2 others like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #20 of 167 Old 09-01-2016

Interesting cheribini must of had a thing for B&R rigs. Even the 48' schooner was offered with one for the main mast. Believe they are north of 1 mil to build now. Personally like the look of a boomkin better on that boat. Both they and the various no fixed backstay square heads are by no means cheap.
Think the philosophy of a two string boat has more to do with it. Self tacking jib, in mast furler so flying/striking or underway you only need to attend to two strings at any given time.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in