Recommendations for OUPV (6-pack) license? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 08-31-2016
Master Mariner

Re: Recommendations for OUPV (6-pack) license?

If I was in your position I'd check out the biggest ticket that the USCG will issue you on the sea time and tonnage you have. You have plenty of time to get more tonnage by working on a bigger boat if you wish.
I've not gone through the modern system in which the CG has outsourced the licensing, but I believe if you have all your ducks in a row, the course and testing for anything up to 500 tons can be done in 5 days or so. Check on their web site under licensing and see where you are and where you might be able to get in the next 8 months. But even a 50 ton (I believe that is the smallest) Master's certificate would be more valuable if some day you decided to work on an inspected vessel, even as crew. Hopefully the TWIT (no error, that's what it is IMO) will no longer be necessary.
It will not help get cheaper rates on your insurance, but you probably won't have to bother w/state operators permits if you are traveling on a (your) boat. No one's ever asked me for any operator certification unless I was operating a certified vessel, and that was only the CG. States have nothing to say about the federally regulated vessels except for liquor and tax stuff.
Good luck.
TakeFive likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 09-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
-----

You'll need two years' time, instead of the year required for the OUPV license, but it's worth doing if you have the time. -----

Why limit yourself to just the 6-pack? The study and physical exam, etc, are similar.
nolatom's right,might as well go for the largest license you can. The only qualifying difference is the sea time.

Bear in mind that any captain's license school you go to is not going to teach you a thing about how to be a captain of a vessel, they're going to teach you how to pass the test.
jrd22 likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #13 of 45 Old 09-07-2016 Thread Starter

I need to do some more checking of the requirements, but it is possible that I may only have enough hours for inland OUPV. I'll check some more later.

In the meantime, I have another question. I am seeing a lot of online courses. How compatible is this training with exclusively online presentation? If I do face-to-face, I'll have to travel somewhere for several weekends and stay in a hotel.

Also, how is Annapolis School of Seamanship? Any others I should consider? Are there any good ones closer to Philadelphia?

Feel free to PM me with suggestions of schools to avoid.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #14 of 45 Old 09-07-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

This is in Rock Hall within walking distance of your boat:

https://captainsschool.com/index.shtml

Course Information
OUPV (6 PAK) 3 Weekends
2/19/2016 at Rock Hall, MD with Captain John Sharp
call 1.888.598.9598 or email [email protected]
This class will start on Friday, February 19 and finish on Sunday, March 6. Classes will start at 8 am and run to 5 pm, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There will be no class on Sunday, February 21. The class will be held at the Rock Hall Marine Restoration building.

You missed this year's class but it looks like they have a 2017 class in Bensalem.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #15 of 45 Old 09-07-2016
Learning the HARD way...

The real issue in getting your license is DOCUMENTING your time on a vessel, other than the one you own (or have owned). If you want any license, you need to have the owner of said vessel sign a CG-719S which clearly states the number of 4 hour shifts that you have preformed on that vessel. If you want to step up to a 25, 50 or 100 ton master's license, you need to document time aboard vessels that fit that definition.

Then you also need to worry about inland versus near-coastal. The Boundary Line, not to be confused with the COLREGS demarcation line, is defined in 46 CFR part 7;
Quote:
The Boundary Line marks the dividing point between internal and offshore waters for several legal purposes, including load line regulations.

(The Boundary Line is also used in crediting inland/offshore sea service for mariner licensing; refer to the USCG National Maritime Center website for licensing issues.)

The Boundary Line is sometimes confused with the Demarcation Line, which is the dividing point between domestic rules-of-the-road (Inland Navigating Rules) and the international rules-of-the-road (Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea, or COLREGS). The Boundary Line and Demarcation Line are different lines for different purposes, although they might coincidently overlap at places along the coastline.

Boundary Line Regulations
The U.S. Boundary Line is delineated in 46 CFR Part 7.

As a rule, on the Atlantic, Pacific, and Great Lakes coasts, the Boundary Line generally follows the high water shoreline, extended across the entrances to small bays, inlets, harbors, rivers, the ends of breakwaters or jetties, etc. In most cases, this means that as soon as an outbound vessel crosses seaward of the entrance, it has crossed outside the Boundary Line.

There are some significant exceptions to the above general rule, however:

In the Gulf of Mexico between the Marquesas Keys, FL, and the Rio Grande river mouth, TX, the Boundary Line is located 12 nautical miles offshore. This creates a 12-mile-wide coastwise marine corridor inside of which non-load line vessels may operate. For ease of navigation, this Boundary Line coincides with the "Territorial Sea" boundary marked on nautical charts of the Gulf;

Also in the Gulf of Mexico along the western coast of Florida, Congress widened the load line-exempted corridor to 15 NM offshore (i.e., 3 NM west of the Territorial Sea boundary shown on charts) between Crystal Bay and Hudson Creek;

In New England waters, the Boundary Line follows a series of lights and offshore buoys from West Quoddy Head Light (at the U.S./Canadian border) to Race Point Light (at the tip of Cape Cod). Like the Gulf of Mexico, this also creates a coastwise corridor inside of which all vessels may operate without a load line. However, unlike the GoM Boundary Line (which is a constant 12 NM from the coast), the New England Boundary Line does not follow the coastline and therefore is an irregular distance offshore.

For this reason, operators of non-load line vessels--including fishing vessels that are more than 79 feet in length and that are built on/after 1 July 2013--should especially familiarize themselves with the Boundary Line in New England waters (refer to 46 CFR Parts 7.10 and 7.15). Taking such a vessel outside the Boundary Line constitutes a load line violation;

And at other points along the U.S. coastlines, there may also be some local gerrymandering of the Boundary Line from the mouths of inlets or jetties out to the sea buoy and back.
Therefore, it is essential to consult 46 CFR Part 7, in conjunction with the appropriate nautical chart, to determine the specific location of the Boundary Line for any particular location.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #16 of 45 Old 09-07-2016 Thread Starter

I don't need to worry about boundary lines if I am accepting the inland restriction. That may be all I qualify for (pending further verification).

According to the schools I have checked with, the documentation of hours is relatively simple (though perhaps tedious) if I am using hours on my own vessels, and not trying to get a ticket for over 25 net tons.

I will continue to check this out, but this is what I have been told so far.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #17 of 45 Old 09-07-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Yep. And, a 6 pack is good for up to 100 tons, and there is NO Sailing endorsement necessary.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #18 of 45 Old 09-07-2016
Courtney the Dancer

All I can add to the good advice given already is to take a class and NOT try to home study. Way too time consuming and confusing, then you have to actually go to a USCG testing center to take the two days of tests. It's possible (I did it) but I don't recommend it. The online classes might be OK, but a class/instructor would be much, much better IMHO.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #19 of 45 Old 09-07-2016

A couple of comments:

Our two club launches are certified for 26 passengers. The launch operators license IS below the 6-pack as its only good for operation within the harbor. Basically log time and take a short test.

Get a higher level limited tonnage inland/coastal if you can qualify. As has been said, not much more involved than documenting more time.

I agree that going to an onsite course site is preferable. I think most will give the test at the end, saving you the trouble of going to a USCG exam center.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
flyrod (11-29-2016)
post #20 of 45 Old 09-08-2016 Thread Starter

I fully agree with those who recommend in-class over online/virtual learning. It's always best to have someone there to take questions. As a School Board member, I have a natural bias against the whole cyberschool concept except in very special cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
T...You missed this year's class but it looks like they have a 2017 class in Bensalem.
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the tip!

The 2017 class in Bensalem is in January, which is good because I'm not giving up 3 weekends of prime sailing time. It's also close enough that I could drive from home everyday instead of renting a hotel. It is more weekday time than I preferred (Thursday-Sunday for two consecutive weeks), but the 3 day weekend offerings were going to require taking 3 Fridays off anyway so I think I can deal with taking 4 days off. I've requested some information from them.

The instructor is Jack Sampson, who lives in Lancaster. Does anyone have any comments about him?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in