Anyone Familiar with Coronado 27 Wiring? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2016 Thread Starter
"Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Anyone Familiar with Coronado 27 Wiring?

I'm helping a friend do some work on his Coronado 27, and need to know what happens to the steaming light wiring when it exits the mast. Where does it go? The mast is stepped on deck, he's never had it off. We need to trace the wiring from the mast light socket to wherever it next becomes accessible, as it does not make it to the fuse panel.
Any knowledge of the wiring would be helpful, as it is an undifferentiated mess of bundled wires running across the bottoms of the lockers and just about everywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2016
One of None

Re: Anyone Familiar with Coronado 27 Wiring?

How old is the boat because boat manufacturers did and do use a wiring color code diagram And it actually is pretty standard even on older boats

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
renllawkram (09-20-2016)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-08-2016

I don' think there is any option other than identifying the correct wire as it exits the mast and tracing it back to the fuse/breaker panel.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
renllawkram (09-20-2016)

post #4 of 11 Old 09-08-2016

I have wire tracer - (searching that in amazon pulls up several <$30) - that puts a tone on the wire (single alligator clip) with one module - then you trace the wire with a probe - You need to be withing ~2 feet to "hear" the wire. You can pick the toned wire out a big bundle very easily. You also don't need to follow the wire path - if it comes into your wiring panel waving the probe around will find the wire.

Les
The Following User Says Thank You to LeslieTroyer For This Useful Post:
renllawkram (09-09-2016)
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2016 Thread Starter
"Keep it Simple, Stupid"

The Coronado 27 is early 1970's vintage. I believe the owner said 1974, but I am not certain; I have sent him an inquiry to find out.
However, I have looked at the wiring around the fuse panel and engine compartment, and most of what I've found is a bundle of about 12 red wires going from the fuse panel (or TO the fuse panel) from who-knows-where. They aren't generally mounted with straps or anything, they're just lying in the bottoms of lockers and such. It's a pretty cheesy installation, but he did only pay $1,200 for the boat and a fairly new 4-stroke motor.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2016 Thread Starter
"Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Thanks a lot Les. Does the tracer require a complete circuit loop, or can it trace a single wire in an open circuit?
I'll be checking that on Amazon post-haste; it sounds invaluable.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2016

no it does not require a complete loop -- only a single connection at one end (or middle) of the wire -- it puts a tone on the wire that the probe can sense. Typically you see them in wired telephone work.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-20-2016 Thread Starter
"Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Hi Leslie,

I bought myself a "Fluke Pro 3000" toner & probe set, but when I hook the red wire up to a lamp socket to trace wires behind the headliner, it emits a strong signal almost anywhere in the cabin, just waving it in midair. Just turning the volume down doesn't help.
The directions say to ground the black wire of the toner, or attach it to another wire in the group, so I tried attaching it to a screw which I believe is a keel ground, with no change.
I tried it out on a pair of wires stretched out on the dock, and it seemed to work fine.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions??
And by-the-way, what brand/model tracer are you using?

(We were able to trace the headliner wires with a Harbor Freight 5-way studfinder, but I still hope to identify individual wires in the bundles with the tracer.)
post #9 of 11 Old 09-20-2016
One of None

Do you know how use a continuity tester? Pick 2 wires, twist em together, go other end & check for Continuity on wires that may be the same 2. For one wire , connect one end to the continuity lead, and touch the other lead to the other end it you get full reading that wire is good. Wet core can mess up the signal generator

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
renllawkram (09-21-2016)
post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2016 Thread Starter
"Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Ummm... Thank you Denise, but if I knew where both ends of the wire were, I wouldn't have a problem...
I know where it attaches to the mast light socket, but there's nothing attached to the fuse/switch on the instrument panel labeled "Mast Light", except the power wire. I'm trying to find out where the wire from the mast goes, and I'm pretty sure it runs behind the headliner somewhere. The interior lighting wires appear to be sandwiched between a core and the headliner; if you get the light just right, you can see slight lumps where the wires are buried.
I rather assume the mast light wires are similar, but I've not found where ANY of the wires emerge from the headliner yet.

A wet core in the cabin is a real possibility though; thanks for that thought. I was wondering if somehow the entire headliner could be conductive; for some reason I didn't think about water in there. That would probably do it for high frequencies, like an R/F signal.
Poo! I now have a nice signal generator/probe and no use for it! In fact, I can't even find any mention of it on Fluke's website, so I can't get the manual either.

Tags
coronado 27 , mast light , steaming light , wiring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in