Handheld VHF on shore - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 09-13-2016
Courtney the Dancer

Re: Handheld VHF on shore

I was wondering about this the other day when we heard a distress call about a family being tracked by a wolf on Discovery Island near Victoria BC. The family (and their dog) climbed on top of some building after being stalked by a wolf and they used their handheld VHF to call the CG. They were "rescued" by CG and armed wildlife officers. I'm guessing they weren't too concerned about the rules pertaining to VHF use.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 09-14-2016
Remember you're a womble

Emergency situations usually allow for VHF use, same as a person calling in a mayday doesn't need to have an operator's license.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I was wondering about this the other day when we heard a distress call about a family being tracked by a wolf on Discovery Island near Victoria BC. The family (and their dog) climbed on top of some building after being stalked by a wolf and they used their handheld VHF to call the CG. They were "rescued" by CG and armed wildlife officers. I'm guessing they weren't too concerned about the rules pertaining to VHF use.
A family tracked by a single wolf? Either the family was very frail or it was a really nasty wolf. Mom or Dad could have just picked up a stick and tossed a couple of stones at it. A wolf won't tolerate too many stones being bounced off its head before it takes off. Strange reason to call the CG, the boys must have had a good laugh about that.

In Canada, Radio Licenses are issued by Industry Canada. Around here, the Industry Canada Office is 100 km inland and about 500 km from where I sit. Radio inspections are conducted by the CCG, which is a toothless agency with very limited enforcement powers. Unless you are being really obnoxious or endangering others, I wouldn't worry too much about using a hand held on your dinghy or from shore in Canada.

If you're using a Hand Held in the middle of no where it's only going to have a range of a few miles. The only person who will hear your transmission is the person you are transmitting to. Cell communication is usually an unrealistic option if you're any where even remotely remote. I carry 4 radios, two fixed VHF's on the mother ship and 2 submersible hand helds for dinghy/shore party. As long as you are responsible in the usage, nobody will give you a hard time. I find the US to be similar.

Last edited by Arcb; 09-14-2016 at 08:01 AM.

post #24 of 29 Old 09-14-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
you had to identify yourself using the boat's name and the license number when hailing or signing off.
I haven't heard anyone use their call sign on the marine bands, other than Shipcom, in a long time. I don't know if the regulations have changed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I believe that for US sailors sailing beyond US territorial waters and using a VHF a restricted radio telephone operators permit is also required in addition to the ship's station license.
That is true. The ship station is for the boat. The restricted radio operators permit is for the operator. They are good for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
According to Mexico, Gringos aren't allowed to use 16. You are supposed to use 72 as a hailing channel.
There must be more to that story. The use of marine VHF channel 16 for international distress, safety and calling is subject to international agreement (ITU). Mexico is a signatory.

Just speculation on my part but it is very possible that the Mexican government is tired of the poor radio operating procedures common among Americans. For the same reason that the USCG keeps telling us the proper use of channel 16, Mexico may be trying to move recreational calling to 72 to protect 16 for proper use. This would be similar to the US attempt to move boaters to channel 9 for calling, which has been a dismal failure. Again, this is speculation on my part.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #25 of 29 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I was sailing round that area on my way to Sidney, heard the same call and diverted to peer at what was going on. Saw them all standing on the roof.

Dumb family, bringing their dog into an area with a wolf but at least it made my journey more interesting

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

post #26 of 29 Old 09-14-2016

In Mexico, Ch 16 is reserved for communications between and with the Armada de México. Although the USCG's Rescue 21 system and the ubiquitous Drug War Cutters reach way down the coast. We had an encounter with the Armada this last April off of Cedros. We were so used to monitoring Ch 72 that we completely forgot to monitor Ch 16. They got really close before we got the idea. The second issue was our 'Cruisers Spanish" was totally inadequate for passing off official information and answering contrabando de narcóticos questions. I'll be working on my Spanish this fall!

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #27 of 29 Old 09-14-2016

I had to look up this wolf on Discovery island story. It seems as though the park has updated their website.

www.discoveryislands.ca/wildlife/index.html

Last edited by Arcb; 09-14-2016 at 05:08 PM.
post #28 of 29 Old 09-14-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
That is true. The ship station is for the boat. The restricted radio operators permit is for the operator. They are good for life.
I believe the restricted radio operators permit is good for life but the ship station license is only valid for ten years, then needs to be renewed.

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #29 of 29 Old 09-15-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
I believe the restricted radio operators permit is good for life but the ship station license is only valid for ten years, then needs to be renewed.
Correct what I said is not what I meant. *grin*
bigdogandy likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in