7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 09-13-2016
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Catalina 27 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
Also, knowing nothing about diesel inboards, I'm a bit intimidated about that.
If I can grasp the concept of a diesel, almost anyone can.

Quote:
It makes me lean more toward an outboard. The outboard setup on the Pearson 26 was really simple and worked well enough. At this point all of the C27 inboards are ~30 years old or more. Ticking time bomb? ...
We had to repower to replace a 30 YO diesel. I would guess it depends on how well the PO kept up the engine but ours was, in fact, a ticking time bomb that finally went off when we were away from our marina. We got maybe two more years out of the engine after we bought the boat.
travlin-easy likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 09-13-2016

Tiller.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-13-2016

Diesels are really easy, put in clean fuel, have a good water separating fuel filter, change the oil and adjust the valves at least annually, and turn the key. Should start in a couple of revolutions if it's not cold out and even then with Cold Start function or Glow Plugs, it should start quickly. If it doesn't start quickly get nervous because it may have low compression and need major work. Diesels are no brainer engines with only a little care in maintenance.

It's a tribute to the good old Atomic 4 that so many are still running 50 or more years down the line. Actually it's a much smoother and pleasant engine for a sailboat. Parts, freshwater cooling kits, electronic ignitions and rebuilt engines are still available. A bit more work to keep running because of the ignition system on gas engines and you have to take a little care because of the fuel. Hear of more explosive issues with propane than I do gasoline.

As I stated earlier, there is something to be said for the simplicity of an outboard but they can have issues in rough sea conditions.

If Catalina left the tiller rudder shaft in place for an emergency tiller, changing back to tiller would be a matter of getting a tiller head and tiller, removing the wheel pedestal and filling the hole in the cockpit sole. May even be able to make money if there is someone out there dumb enough to want a wheel. Catalina has a pretty good parts department, may be able to source through them is you couldn't find a used one.

Quote:
Thanks for all the input folks.

I've been sailing 19-22ish foot day sailers for years, until this summer. All summer I sailed a Pearson 26 with a tiller, outboard, and the traveler aft. Real nice setup, much like sailing a big dinghy. I was really happy how quickly I picked it up. Felt a bit worried until I got out on it - but it was real simple. No standing headroom though, as I am 6ft.

The Catalina has standing headroom, barely.

I think my mind is made up on the tiller vs wheel. I've always wanted the tiller. The problem is that tiller versions are fairly rare compared to wheel steering boats - esp. in boats built in '84 or newer (which is what I want). The 84' and later boats have a more modern interior, internal halyards and other improvements.

Assuming I get a boat with a wheel and don't like it, how big of a deal is it to switch back to a tiller? I can't remember where, or whether, the C27 has the tiller attachment still in place on wheel version boats.

Also, knowing nothing about diesel inboards, I'm a bit intimidated about that. It makes me lean more toward an outboard. The outboard setup on the Pearson 26 was really simple and worked well enough. At this point all of the C27 inboards are ~30 years old or more. Ticking time bomb? You can get an outboard version easily for 5k (maybe less). But almost all of the inboard boats I've seen are 10k or more. Seems like a big premium for a boat with a 30+ year old inboard.

post #24 of 33 Old 09-13-2016

My Yanmar 2GM20F diesel has never (truly) failed me when on the water. It always starts on the first try except when the battery is dead of course. That being said I can't say I love it. Access is usually hard on these small boats and there is maintenance to be done on it in sometimes painful to reach places. It has a tendency to stink up the cabin when I use it for a long time. It also depends on how well it was installed in the first place. Check for the engine mounts to make sure they are serviceable (no rotten wood underneath or mounts beyond recovery) and that the fuel tank is not rusting away etc... Like Roverhi mentioned, on a formed sea, a diesel with a prop deep in the water will perform much better than an outboard, always good when that cargo ship is getting a little too close for comfort and there is no wind but if it's just to get in and out of the slip it's another story.

Another advantage of an inboard is the fact that it won't be stolen. Outboard theft is rampant in my neck of the woods.

PS: tiller all the way. On a wheeled Catalina30 I checked a long time ago, the rudder stock was protruding in the back. If that's the case it should be very easy to change back to tiller.

Last edited by flo617; 09-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.
post #25 of 33 Old 09-13-2016

There are so many C-27s out there you should be easily able to find one with the steering and traveler arrangement you want. I'd recommend tiller and outboard. Tiller because it's more fun and opens up the room in the cockpit. Outboard because the engine access is pretty tough on a C27 and outboards are cheap. OTOH, 'cause it seems folks can't even give away a gas powered boat, one with an A4 inboard will be pretty inexpensive.. (A brand new A4 is only about $6K - likely 2x what the boat is worth)

They're a great get-out-there cheap boat.

(I own a A4 powered C-30, so I'm a bit biased)
post #26 of 33 Old 09-14-2016

I've sailed on both and would not in a million years buy one with a wheel, it made getting around the cockpit a real pain in the arse

1988 C22 Owner
post #27 of 33 Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I love the tiller on my C27. The rudder is somewhat balanced, so the tiller feels light (lighter than the tiller on my C22, even though the boat is much heavier). My traveler runs along the leading edge of the lazarette, so the main sheet is within easy reach, and I have a tillerpilot to make single handing easier.

I'm sure there are advantages to a wheel too, but I wouldn't personally want one on this boat.
That's a nice setup. I wish I could find one like that. Can you have a bimini with the mainsheet where it is?
post #28 of 33 Old 09-15-2016

archimedes, That's identical to the setup I had with my 1968 C-27 - very easy to single hand that boat.

Gary
post #29 of 33 Old 09-15-2016
Fortuitous

Quote:
That's a nice setup. I wish I could find one like that. Can you have a bimini with the mainsheet where it is?
It's not ideal for a bimini. It's probably possible, somehow, but it would be a serious compromise without great cockpit coverage.

It's great for sailing though.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
post #30 of 33 Old 09-16-2016

Chip, it was not a problem with the bimini, no more problem than the backstay. Most of the time you are sitting far enough forward that you are well shaded by most bimini setups.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in