Move B*tch, Get outta the Way - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 99 Old 09-20-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Move B*tch, Get outta the Way

as it will take you as long to arrive here as it will for my boat repairing to be completed, i dont have to move (neener neener)--you make sure when ye anchor on me that you give me a few of my boat lengths so you donot have to smell my coffee in morning ha ha ha ha ha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 09-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
There is a small chandlery on the end of Bowen's Wharf called the "Ships Store and Rigging".

Shop

Did I mention it's small?
You should have said "tiny". The bigger Ships Store location is not in Newport. West Marine and the independent chandlery (new & used stuff) at the rotary are closer, but a very long walk from the harbor.

However, if the small store is convenient, you might check it out. Also, if you are in the neighborhood, you can get a free water fill-up at the Newport Shuttle float across the fairway from Bowens Wharf--assuming the float is not occupied.
post #63 of 99 Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Go directly across to Connanicut Marina. A marine chandlery, separate dirt based hardware store, groceries, beer, booze, restaurants, everything in walking distance.

All the best on the cruise!
And how much is dockage there $$$
Cheaper to anchor off Ida Lewis and get a cab to run you to the chandlery. There is a pretty good one up near the Clairborne Pell bridge. There is also a dink dock north of the main harbor that makes walking to that shop not so bad.

post #64 of 99 Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
While trying to overtake us this idiot comes within 10 feet of our port side [w]e maintained our course and speed, as we are obligated under COLREGS to do.
Well, sorta. Rule 17(a)(ii) would have permitted you to change your course or speed if you felt it necessary. But I certainly don't blame you for electing not to do so, in the circumstances described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
While trying to overtake us this idiot comes within 10 feet of our port side and yells; "Get outta the way. I'm racing!" to which I replied "Yes, and you are still obligated to follow the rules of the road".
See further this thread.
post #65 of 99 Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
And how much is dockage there $$$
Cheaper to anchor off Ida Lewis and get a cab to run you to the chandlery. There is a pretty good one up near the Clairborne Pell bridge. There is also a dink dock north of the main harbor that makes walking to that shop not so bad.
I don't think dockage is the right comparison to being anchored. Connanicuts overnight moorings are in the $40 range, for an average size boat. Their launch is free, if you would rather not load the dingy with groceries. I'm not sure whether they have a partial day rate for a mooring or dockage.

The fixed pier that runs through the middle of Connanicut (not the fuel dock on the north side) is actually a town pier. Might even be worth calling the town to see if you can tie there for a couple of hours of grocery shopping. I have this vague recollection that you can and there might even be a floating dock extension on it. Besides all that, Jamestown is definitely worth a visit. One of my fav towns on the Bay, although, I often walk over from Dutch Harbor. That could be along walk with groceries.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #66 of 99 Old 09-22-2016

Well, you did say dockage, not mooring. Kinda different. But 40 bucks for a mooring is still $.
We have no problems loading the dink with multiple cases of beer and water and half dozen bags of groceries.
Now if visiting Jamestown is worth 40, then have at it.
post #67 of 99 Old 09-22-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Well Newport anchoring was FREE and that is better than any over priced mooring!

Currently in New London Ct so I could go to Defender and get some stuff we needed like a new shower sump pump.
fallard likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #68 of 99 Old 09-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Well, you did say dockage, not mooring. Kinda different. But 40 bucks for a mooring is still $.
We have no problems loading the dink with multiple cases of beer and water and half dozen bags of groceries.
Now if visiting Jamestown is worth 40, then have at it.
No, xort, I never mentioned dockage in the post you quoted, you did. You also suggested paying for a cab in Newport to go to the store. Have you done that? Newport cabs are very expensive.

Obviously a moot point for the OP now, but for others interested, Jamestown is a great stop, with about everything a cruiser needs. If the mooring is too expensive and my suggestion for the town pier doesn't pan out, one can anchor in Dutch Harbor and walk over the hill. I would say the grocery store is approx 0.5 mile from Dutch.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #69 of 99 Old 09-22-2016

You did say go the the MARINA there. In most of the world that means dockage. You miss food fights with smak dont you?
zeehag and MikeOReilly like this.
post #70 of 99 Old 09-22-2016

The tag of this chain clearly indicates the tone that will follow. What a waste.
Donna_F and denverd0n like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in