So I got seasick today.... - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Re: So I got seasick today....

Agreed A "boats don't float as well".

Issue of hydration is important but particularly as concerns the ear itself. The utricle, saccule, and semicircular canals need to be at closely defined parameters. If there is an osmotic gradient between the endolymph and perilymph water will follow the gradient and the system screws up. It's why you feel dizzy while and after you've been drunk. You clear the alcohol in your blood quicker than in the fluids in your inner ear particularly endolymph and it rises faster when you are actively drinking. In both situations there's a gradient and you feel dizzy. Hence, that Bon voyage imbibing may not be such a great idea.
Although coffee is a mild diuretic don't usually suggest folks eliminate caffeine. Was a paper in the New England Journal showing as little as one cup a day caused dependency. So if you find coffee an offender you may want to get your caffeine from another source.
We keep those small cups of jello on the boat. Puking, not drinking and insensible water loss from being in the wind can lead to sever dehydration. Jello doesn't spill, is easy on the tummy, and is mostly water. Also sugary drinks seem to be absorbed more rapidly. Some find apples, grapes and other non citrus acidic fruits work. +1 on maintaining hydration but watch electrolytes as well.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-18-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 09-18-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Given puking in a space suit or a hard hat diving can ruin your whole day as can having a warships crew down for the count can make you dead so there is a literature concerning this subject.
There was a seminal piece done by the US Navy focused on the operational forces (so it was written with words of few syllables *grin*) in the late 70s. It was a review and statistical analysis of a lot of previous work if I recall correctly (I no longer have a copy - too much housecleaning). It showed three principal factors: frequency, amplitude, and spectrum. People have some frequency of motion to which they are most sensitive. The degree of sensitivity also varies from person to person. The extent to which people are sensitive off their particular frequency also varies.

This is why there are people who don't seem prone to motion sickness at all, others who get car sick but not sea sick, and some who are very sensitive to motion of any kind.

Not in the study but just from my empirical experience hydration is indeed a very important factor.

I have also observed psychological factors e.g. being out of sight of land.

I have been sea sick twice in my life. I don't recommend it. Fortunately both were in fairly benign conditions (which goes to the cited frequency sensitivity parameter). I have also had the flu while underway which while unpleasant was not as bad as being sea sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I am not sure a roughly 2.5% in water density is negligible.
That depends on what you are considering. Certainly static stability is a factor (see http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-m...4-8CD56C34.gif ) and note you can load a ship more heavily in fresh water. I don't remember any concern about dynamics at Webb about fresh v. salt water.

On an empirical basis, running from Newport to Annapolis (salt to brackish to fresh to brackish) or Annapolis to Norfolk (brackish to salt) I can't say I've detected any change in dynamics.
outbound likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

I seemed to recall the Whitbread (Volvo) racers having a tough time coming to Baltimore from Ft. Lauderdale. Did a little Google search and came up with this. Around the world sailors even sometimes get hit with it.

The race was not kind to any of the 108 sailors in this 870-nautical mile leg. In the Gulf Stream, the boats were beaten by 35-knot winds and a four-knot current. Most sailors were going airborne in their bunks, crashing down with every wave.

"We were just jumping and dropping, jumping and dropping," said Kimo Worthington, an EF Language sailor who had slept three hours in the past three days. "The whole time, you're just waiting for something to break."

Skipper Heiner was seasick, as were Dennis Conner and several other seasoned racers. Sailors were so nauseated aboard Swedish Match, they even turned down chocolate bars.
outbound likes this.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

post #44 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

AS a kid I learned to sleep with my hand pushing against the deckhead to keep me closer to the mattress. Those little (Plimsoll lines) marks on the hull tell a lot. When the fully over laden pilchard boats came up the Fraser they just settled by the stern.Fortunatly this doesen't happen often now,not because we've learned anything about greed but because there's no more pilchards. I've always felt that wave action happens quicker bigger for a given wind on fresh water. Maybe only to give some credit to those poor bas tards who have to sail on lakes.
post #45 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Super posts A and O. What interested me is the fairly recent elucidation of susceptibity gene loci. One wonders why they exist. How can being prone to being sick increase or not effect survivability of the individual hence permit continued inheritance. Military had a puke chamber where they tried to make people sick. Believe astronauts were tested before the expense of training them was incurred. Wonder if they have since incorporated VR technology in testing. Suspect they have. No longer subscribed to paid medical search engines to find out but curious if anyone has further info.
One of the most miserable trips I had was Barrington to Hampton. Too many people on the boat(5), 30s on the nose, short steep chop and cold/wet. Inspite of crew other than wife no reliable people. A slog made worse as the rest sat in the cockpit to avoid getting sick(er). Was constantly tripping over these poor souls.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #46 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Always wondered why some modern boats don't have good settee berthes and you nearly never see pilot berths. Best berths in a seaway. Those HR chairs are wicked comfortable but probably hard to sleep in if to windward.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #47 of 54 Old 09-18-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post

What foods should I stay away from, besides apparently hot wings and pool sized drinks...LOL..thanks for that one Donna??
Happy to take one (once) for the team.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #48 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Genetic traits can be passed on by conversations like. 'Sailing !! are you crazy? I Get Sea Sick .Besides ,I'm pregnant. You can GO drown yersilf.
post #49 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Auspicious, I do not think it's accurate that you can load a ship heavier in Fresh Water, it's been some time since I wrote a stability exam, but my recollection is that you can load a boat deeper in fresh water, but the same weight is involved. The FW load line is roughly 2.5% deeper than the SW line. Assuming you use no consumables, as the ship moves from fresh to salt the ship should naturally have its draft reduced to the SW mark due to the higher density of water.

I am not referring to the TFW line, that is calculated differently, assuming tropical fresh water is safer than say the great lakes.
post #50 of 54 Old 09-18-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Always wondered why some modern boats don't have good settee berthes and you nearly never see pilot berths. Best berths in a seaway. Those HR chairs are wicked comfortable but probably hard to sleep in if to windward.
Curved berths look cool at boat shows but aren't so great for sleeping.

The best berth in a seaway is the floor. You can't fall off the floor.

The HR chairs are indeed very comfortable at dock, anchor, and to leeward. When they are on the windward side the floor beckons.
Donna_F likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in