So I got seasick today.... - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 Old 09-18-2016

Re: So I got seasick today....

Wave action in the Beaufort can be pretty stupendous and difficult to fathom. Storms waves from several directions at the same time, wind based currents. Lumps of fresh river water over riding the salt ocean . Un recorded shallows and maybe pingos When not hiding behind ice flows off shore my four scientist crew were usually prostate on the main cabin floor where I could step over them to refill my coffee while Crystal Gail crooned about mistreating her man. If not dark out I could entertain myself by counting rogue waves marching across the view This was before GPS so lost most of the time. Now Cambridge Bay is full of yachties oozing thru the NWP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 Old 09-21-2016

I didn't read all the reply's but thought I'd add this.

I'm 65 and this year had the thought that I might be a bit more susceptible to sea sickness, but also got a bit upset when in a high place.

My Wife used to get seasick looking at a seascape, I kid you not. The dock was too much for her. As a kid she always barfed in the car, had lots of trouble flying, all kinds of issues. Over the years she has gradually gotten better and better.

This summer we did 3 over nighters.
1. Cape May to NYC - nice night, small following wave, no issue.
2. Gaspe to Magdalene Islands - Started with a fresh beat, then into cross waves, nasty snap. She slept in the cockpit until the sea laid down. 38 hours.
3. Magdalene Islands to Bonn Bay - Motor sailing on a close reach, she threw up once and went comatose once again but came about when the sea laid down. 40 hours.

But interestingly of our last 3 days of the voyage, #1 was OK, no issues. #2 we had a beam swell, some 4'ers. No wind. Rock and roll. She didn't like it but didn't get sick. #3 was a mess. Started with a confused sea to get out of harbor, then a beam set of 6'ers which would really roll us up to 45deg. Then we had a long afternoon of following seas building with occasional sets of 6'ers or so, just starting to break. A few times we took bad rolls with seas on the deck. She got scared but not seasick. Fortunately the last few hours we were in protected waters and it was beautiful.

I'm 65 and my wife is 63. It was totally amazing that she did as well as she did. I've seen her really miserable in far more benign conditions. So we thing that she somehow habituated to it for last 3 days. The previous 2 trips had followed prolonged (5 or 6 days) periods on the dock.

Am I a lucky man or what?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #53 of 54 Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
"eating hot wings and downing a swimming pool-sized margarita the night before."

Gotta drink beer with hot wings. You must have angered the sacred buffalo.

post #54 of 54 Old 09-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Age is not a factor except those below 2years are immune and children have increased risk up to age 15.
This makes sense.
I was going to comment I got seasick as a kid but only once since being an adult.

Your boat's name also makes sense now.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in