So I got seasick today.... - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter
1968 Columbia 50

So I got seasick today....

So, I went out on friends Catalina 30 today on Lake Michigan. The forecast was for mild 10-15 knot winds and 2-4 foot waves. Well, it turned into 25 gusting to 32 with 4-7' waves with the occasional 10'er. We were on a beat to windward all day, and for the first time in 30 years I got really sick briefly. My question is does age increase ones susceptibility getting seasick? I am 51 btw. Otherwise, it was a great sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Last edited by SV Siren; 09-16-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-16-2016
RTB
TROUBLE

Re: So I got seasick today....

I've never been seasick, car sick, air sick in my 64 years so far. How old are you? I doubt it has anything to do with age.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old 09-16-2016

Dock

Of course it has something to do with age!

Why do old people fall over?

Alcohol in the nursing home? No!

I am amazed so few sailors have one iota of knowledge about seasickness except some drug they can shove down their throats.
Google them.

For someone who has never been seasick there are also some other age related things you probably won't find on Google.
30 years ago you were fit. Now you are probably on some medication... perhaps a statin. The side effects of these powerful drugs can be quite serious for elderly people.
seabeau likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 09-16-2016 at 11:57 PM.

post #4 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

I get seasick less often now. Age 69.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #5 of 54 Old 09-17-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

I've wondered the same thing. At 67 I seem to get seasick (about once a year) where I never did before. I would like to find some research that addresses this question.
post #6 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

Age alone is related to suceptability for sea sickness. But it happens to most people from time to time.

Greg
post #7 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

I'm pretty good with seasickness, but I have been seasick many times, I sailed commercially for 20 years and I have observed all kinds of factors contribute. The worst factor for me is fatigue. If I've been up for a couple or 3 days with little to no sleep fighting adverse weather, I find seasickness eventually will work it's way just like mosquitoes, given time will find a crack to get into.

I have also observed pregnant women are highly susceptible, older people can be more susceptible. Hung over people are easy targets. Fear and uncertainty can be major contributing factors.

Sea state is a big factor too. The conditions you describe sound pretty bad for a small boat. Maybe age was one of several factors?

My worst seasickness was a long Search and Rescue operation I participated in. We were a small crew on an aluminum vessel on Lake Huron searching for a 12 year old boy who was blown offshore in a 12' boat with only a swim suit on.

I was very tired, I was cold, I definitely felt some anxiety about the boys welfare. The sea state was not bad, maybe a meter, but you couldn't see them coming in the dark. Also I was using night vision goggles, which always give me a headache.

On the second night of this, I felt so rotten I asked the permission of the Captain to go below for a nap, which he agreed to. I slept for a few hours and felt much much better.

The boy was found safe and sound, although very cold and uncomfortable.

I think it's good you are analyzing causation, it will help you to combat it in the future.

Another bad one was on a chemical tanker in the northern Atlantic, battling what would have been a survival storm for a yacht. Our ship was Hove too and taking it very well, I had ample sleep. It lasted a few days, again, I think a big factor was anxiety. Even Hove too big waves were crashing over the focsal, sweeping the full length of about 300 ft of deck and slamming into the base of the accommodations with rather frightening effect. In that storm I think the only major factor was fear, which in hind sight was probably unwarranted, but felt very real at the time.
post #8 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

I don't know if age directly makes you more susceptible, but it may cause other changes that do. For example, do you wear glasses or contacts? Have you changed prescriptions or moved to multi-focal lenses?

I mostly do not get sea sickness. But I am very susceptible to "simulator/video game sickness", which is entirely a visual thing (false visual motion cues that don't match felt motion.) I've recently started getting mild air sickness on long flights. I suspect it's due to switching from straight (prescription) reading glasses to progressive lenses.

s/v Dancing Days
Beneteau 31
Lewisville Lake, TX
post #9 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
I've wondered the same thing. At 67 I seem to get seasick (about once a year) where I never did before. I would like to find some research that addresses this question.
FWIW - Adult-onset motion sickness rare -- but can happen - The Body Odd
Scotty C-M likes this.
post #10 of 54 Old 09-17-2016

It also has to do with the condition of your ears and semi circular canals... You will slowly imperceptibly loose your sense of balance as you age and this can assist in bringing on mal du mer. Those conditions would probably make a lot of people seasick.
baywater likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in