Automation - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 09-18-2016
al brazzi

Re: Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
The Harken "Rewind" electric winches can reverse to ease a line.
So that's how you tack, which takes me to my first question how long does that take? I can see some self tacking systems working OK in casual cruising but a traditional head sail not so much. Maybe I'm missing something I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 09-19-2016

I can't wait until a boat so equipped wins a race.
Be a tad embarrassing for the humans eh?

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #23 of 29 Old 09-19-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnin Turtle View Post
If you are really against technology... then you are not allowed to use electricity, propane, gasoline or diesel.

If you are going to be a Luddite... then don't be a hypocrite.
I disagree. Embracing technology does NOT need to be an "all or nothing" proposition. All technology is not automatically "good." There is such a thing as the misapplication of technology and it's a skipper's discretion where and how he chooses to apply technology on his/her own vessel.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #24 of 29 Old 09-19-2016

Hmm, I'd say if you like the idea -- buy it.

If you prefer controlling things yourself -- don't buy it.

Hell you can still find people who trash roller furling headsails and bow thrusters, but a helluva lot of sailors use them.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #25 of 29 Old 09-19-2016
HANUMAN

As Mark said (more or less), all they did was add a remote button to the e-winches. It ain't like the damn thing senses proper sail trim and make adjustments.

I'm not much of a tweeker, sometimes I'm too lazy to do simple adjustments like tighten the vang or the outhaul...maybe this is just what I need...or maybe I'd be too lazy to raise my arm and push the button.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #26 of 29 Old 09-19-2016
1968 Columbia 50

I do the technology interesting, most of it is in use already, just the position of the controls has been moved to a central control panel. I have seen electric winches and furlers kitted out on boats, nothing new there.

What does bother me though is the automated trim. The last thing I would want on board is something that, while under great pressure, begins moving under its own power unannounced. The last thing I would want is for someone to lose a hand or finger because the winch started grinding on it's own with someones hand inadvertently placed in the way, such as my daughter. The ability to override a failed or malfunctioning part of this system is a concern, such as having the furler winding, and the at the same time the winch is pulling in the opposite direction.

I personally prefer KISS, and would not use the system, for someone else there might be some good value to it, such as physically challenged, but even then if it fails...what then. All things will fail, and usually at the worst moment...that is what we should all be prepared for...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #27 of 29 Old 09-19-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't have a problem with automation, as long as one can manage with a redundant manual system, if it fails.
I agree with you. I don't see any sign of redundancy in the controls. If the control panel fails you're grinding. Which is okay, because I'm mostly grinding anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Now, about that auto-start generator. What do you use for auto-start? Was always told those are problematic.
Mine works fine. It's all Mastervolt so everything talks to everything on a CANBUS. Everything is optional, but sometimes it is handy to have the battery monitor tell the generator that the battery bank is down to some level (I use 45%) and run until back up to another configurable level (80% for me). There are lots of auto-start applications in the world -- I think Mastervolt looked well outside the recreational marine market for lessons learned. They have since sold off their generator business so I'm not sure what you can get these days.

I don't run the system regularly. I've used it sitting out hurricanes and leaving the boat for land tours. I've also used it at the dock when the power goes out during winter storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Hell you can still find people who trash roller furling headsails and bow thrusters, but a helluva lot of sailors use them.
I don't think much of bow thrusters at all, but that's just me. And most hydrodynamists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
It ain't like the damn thing senses proper sail trim and make adjustments.
That was my first reaction. It made me think of dynamic positioning systems on ships. The technology for autotrim would be easier. It's implementing it at a price point that recreational boaters, including those at the top of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I do the technology interesting, most of it is in use already, just the position of the controls has been moved to a central control panel. I have seen electric winches and furlers kitted out on boats, nothing new there.
Agreed, although most electric and hydraulic systems have individual IN and OUT buttons (pretty robust) instead of a computer control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
The last thing I would want on board is something that, while under great pressure, begins moving under its own power unannounced.
Consider elevators. Escalators. Water treatment systems.

I do worry about the shear weight of all the warning labels.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #28 of 29 Old 09-19-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

"Congratulations captain Dunsel."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Computer

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #29 of 29 Old 09-19-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
So that's how you tack, which takes me to my first question how long does that take? I can see some self tacking systems working OK in casual cruising but a traditional head sail not so much. Maybe I'm missing something I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole video.

In and out. But this is the much more slick captive sheet winch. You can never gring them afaik

trim up to 12 or 13 meters of line per minute, respectively.

Read more at Harken now supply captive reel winches for yachts 45-60 feet - MySailing.com.au

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in