No Sturgeron in the USA--Why? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

Re: No Sturgeron in the USA--Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Mahalo for the discussion on Sailing Anarchy. Pretty much covers what Stugeron is all about and, strange for Anarchy site, not a lot of 'F' bombs. Swear that the 'F' word is the total vocabulary of the posters over there.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

If you really want Stugeron, you can buy it in almost any non-US airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 09-20-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

cinnarizine. google it..mebbe different name or usfda aint tested the stuff yet. could be a bureaucratic fda thing preventing development due to pharma corruption.
OR, available by prescription only, as are most medications in usa.

Cinnarizine tablets (Stugeron) -
patient.info/medicine/cinnarizine-tablets-stugeron
Cinnarizine is an antihistamine used to treat Ménière's disease, travel sickness, vertigo and other balance or movement problems.

Cinnarizine is a medication derivative of piperazine, and characterized as an antihistamine and ... Trade names, Stugeron, Stunarone, Arlevert, Diznil-25.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 09-20-2016 at 12:25 PM.
post #33 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

Short answer is because we don't seem to care about motion sickness. Cinnarizine is great, and I have used it (outside the US) and been pretty pleased with it. I will say that the Scopolamine patches (available with an Rx in the US as Transderm Scop) are *wonderful* and I greatly prefer them to everything else I've tried.

post #34 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

As Stumble has said, the FDA found it neither safe nor effective. Stugeron is an anti nausea drug used in conjunction with chemo therapy. Sea sickness is an off label (read unapproved) use of the drug. It's standard dose is 75 mg. Are you guys taking it in that dosage and multiple times a day?

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #35 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

The drug was invented in 1955 at, and marketed in 1958 by, Janssen Pharmeceutica, a small Belgian company that simply did no noteworthy business in the USA. The company was bought by Johnson & Johnson in 1961. Sturgeron was low on the radar of reasons for buying out Janssen, and you can presume that by the time J & J took a look at submitting it for approval, the actuarial math did not support doing so. That is, there wasn't enough time remaining before the patent expired to justify the investment (money and effort) required for FDA approval. And by then there were better drugs anyway. I believe transdermal scopolamine has been shown to be significantly more effective with significantly fewer side effects. For most people, anyway.
If you want it, you can get it. Buy it online via mail order (it's not a controlled substance); or travel to a country that allows its sale.

Or so i've read somewhere.

--
post #36 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

For motion sickness 15mg is adequate for most people and greatly decreases risk of side effects particularly drowsiness in my experience. There's a manufacturer in England that markets that dose. We've had it on the boat for some years now and pleased with its effectiveness and side effect spectrum. It's a "dirty" drug effecting many neurotransmitters not just histamine so you need to pay attention for possibility of drug interactions and your past medical history before using it. Several Canadian internet suppliers exist.
That said side effects just as hallucinations, very blurred vision, marked confusion, extreme sleepiness which can be seen with the other anti motion sickness drugs might lead you to want to try it. Would stick with the 15mg or 25mg dose for the indication of motion sickness not the 75mg.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #37 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
As Stumble has said, the FDA found it neither safe nor effective.
Just to clarify, the FDA made no findings on this drug because it was never submitted to the FDA for approval.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #38 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

This is consistent with my experience. I have sourced it from Canada mail order so would disregard that statement. It's available on eBay.

An opinion on Seasickness

by David Anderson Posted in Cruising

"I am a Canadian physician who has cruised long distances, and the posted answers cover everything I’ve heard on seasickness. Tom Connelly’s advice is excellent – be outside, face the wind, watch the horizon – important even when taking seasickness drugs. You cannot focus on a task close-up – that is, no reading, sewing, cooking, splicing lines, gutting fish, playing scrabble, etc. On a long passage, it is frustrating when you can’t “do” anything except take watch outside, and sleep (or lie horizontal) when you’re off watch. It’s true that after a few days you get used to the motion, but that’s only true if the motion is consistent. If the weather and wave pattern changes mid-passage, you have to start all over again!

During our circumnavigation, I tried every drug available in the developed world, and then some, including ginger snaps. A warning about the scopolamine patch (Transderm Scop) – side effects do include blurred vision and sometimes even hallucinations – too risky for someone with watch-keeping and navigational responsibilities. I believe the manufacturers warn against cutting the patch in half (although many of us tried that too – hoping for less side effects) – it interferes with the proper absorption of the drug through the membrane. The manufacturers were having absorption problems with the intact patch not too long ago, and took the patches off the market for a long time, but they are available again now. I think they are a reasonable option for someone who is a passenger or even crew, but not for someone essential, like the skipper.

While cruising in the South Pacific I met some cruisers who offered me some Stugeron (generic name is Cinnarizine). I must have been desperate to take a drug I’d never heard of, given to me by complete strangers (although we all treat fellow cruisers immediately like family). It is now the only thing I use, because it works every time. It is an antihistamine, and works in the same way as Gravol (or dramamine), but does not have the side effect of drowsiness at the doses needed for seasickness – for me it was the opposite of drowsiness – I got so much energy from it I was baking bread, cleaning the head, happily bouncing around down below – I felt great! Just so glad to not be seasick anymore.

Unfortunately Stugeron is not available in Canada or the United States. (I couldn’t get it in New Zealand or Australia either – a time when I did more experimenting with other drugs.) The good news is, Stugeron can be obtained easily, without a prescription, in most of the European and developing countries – including Bermuda, Mexico, and many in the Caribbean etc. So you’ll either have to cruise to these places – or get a “source”. It is not a new drug, and is safe – just no one markets it here.

Dosing is individual – I find that 15-25 mg in one dose at breakfast daily is all I need. (I took it for almost 6 months straight going across the Indian Ocean and up the Red Sea. I like the idea of premedicating for days in advance before known rough conditions or awkward motion – for severe sufferers that might give added benefit.

Bonamine (generic name is Meclizine) is another good option, available by prescription, but I experienced more drowsiness and less effectiveness than Stugeron. I would use it before Gravol though – too much sedation with Gravol. As for the wrist bands, I never met anyone in our years of cruising who had any success with these. In my experience, the majority of cruisers use stugeron"

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-20-2016 at 10:11 PM.
post #39 of 45 Old 09-20-2016
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. Stugeron (Cinnarizine) is not available in the US most likely due to a potentially severe side effect. It is known to induce Parkinson's disease and according to Wikipedia it is the second leading cause of the disease.

Stugeron is nasty. I wouldn't take it. Bonine (Meclizine) is very effective and safe. Use that instead.

Shrimp

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34
post #40 of 45 Old 09-20-2016

From what I read of the literature, Stugeron does not cause Parkinson's disease just temporarily amplifies the symptoms. People who might not have been aware they had Parkinson's felt the symptoms and those that knew they had it had more severe symptoms but the side effect was/is only temporary. It took a couple of enterprising druggy chemists in California to make a drug that actually caused Parkinson's much to their chagrin as they used their own product. Up until that time, researchers could do no animal studies on Parkinson's because it is a disease only naturally occuring in humans. The druggies inadvertent discovery made a tremendous advancement in Parkinson's research. Guess that's a plus for illicit drug creation. Now let's hear it from the PETA people who truly are a PITA.

The 75 miligram doses of Stugeron should not be taken for seasickness. Apparently doses as small as 10mg are effective which is approximately half a pill of the normal version of the drug. With any drug, there are different effects in different people. Sure that for some Stugeron is a god send and for others not as effective as other drugs. Fortunately have never had the need for any Mal de Mer medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. Stugeron (Cinnarizine) is not available in the US most likely due to a potentially severe side effect. It is known to induce Parkinson's disease and according to Wikipedia it is the second leading cause of the disease.

Stugeron is nasty. I wouldn't take it. Bonine (Meclizine) is very effective and safe. Use that instead.

Shrimp
cshrimpt likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in