"Only race boats need a traveler"... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 Old 09-26-2016

Re: "Only race boats need a traveler"...

The reasons a cruiser should want a traveler:

1. It is a great shock absorber on jibes.
2. When short handed, it is physically easier to play the traveler than the mainsheet.
3. Less stress on the rig than when completely reliant on the vang.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

2. When short handed, it is physically easier to play the traveler than the mainsheet.
3. Less stress on the rig than when completely reliant on the vang.
I agree a traveller is much easier to work with short-handed than a double block. I am not clear on why it's a better shock absorber. Could you expand on the physics of this?

I was recently touring General George S Patton's former yacht, "When and If" it had a very cool, no traveller system that in addition to the blocks actually had a large spring/shock absorber.
post #13 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I am not clear on why it's a better shock absorber. Could you expand on the physics of this?.
When the boom slams over on a jibe, the lines of the traveler have more energy absorbing "give" than a fixed attachment point does.

post #14 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicapatel123 View Post
hiiiii everyone i'm new your website.

regards
jessica patel
so vang sheeting then?
post #15 of 55 Old 09-27-2016
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

Gotta say that the utility of a traveller to: 1. control mainsail twist
2. depower the main without luffing it

should provide all the rational needed to include one in a sensible sail control setup.
I would recommend against using one in the manner you imply. When teaching students how to gybe, the first instructional step is to trim the traveller to center position and to secure it. Not doing so results in losing some part of the benefit of controlling the main during the gybe - even if you first trim the main to center, during the gybe the main will move double the length of the traveller setting, re-opening the risk of breaking something on breezy day. If not that, the predictable noise will at least scare the kids.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-27-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #16 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

I am still not following this traveller= better shock absorber logic.

My main sheet starts at my boom, leads to a block on the starboard side of my after coachouse and back twice, then to block on the port side of my coach house twice then forward to my cockpit for single handing, creating an inverted V. The boom angle is controlled in the same fashion as a union purchase.

I think whichever system has the greatest length of line to spring has the greatest shock absorption.
wymbly1971 likes this.
post #17 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I agree a traveller is much easier to work with short-handed than a double block. I am not clear on why it's a better shock absorber. Could you expand on the physics of this?

I was recently touring General George S Patton's former yacht, "When and If" it had a very cool, no traveller system that in addition to the blocks actually had a large spring/shock absorber.
The reason is that stretch is more tolerable in a traveler than in a sheet.

The sheet must be relatively low stretch (polyester) or in a breeze it is like trimming a rubberband. This is particularly true on winched sheets that are led to the mast and back to the cockpit (extra length = stretch). The top keeps twisting off, and if you tighten for the puffs, the leach hooks in the lulls. A traveler tackle, on the other hand, can be rigged in high stretch material, like nylon since they are typically hand tensioned, and even if winched are lightly loaded. If they do stretch in a puff, the traveller mealy sags a few inches to leeward, without affecting sail shape. In a crash jibe it stretches farther. I tried a spectra traveler line a few years ago (I was given the line), it was like jibing against a brick, and I removed in a few weeks. I replaced it with nylon climbing rope, and it is very nice. Several well-established riggers are beginning to recommend nylon for traveller line.

I'm sure there are other answers. What you don't want to do is use high modulus line for both traveler and mainsheet. BAM.

I am currently testing a mainsheet shock absorber for an up-coming article. It works, but so far I think I like the nylon traveler line better.

Sail Delmarva: Dynamic Travelers
Barquito and baywater like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #18 of 55 Old 09-27-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Or so I was told by a sales rep at the boat show this past weekend, while looking at a new model 41' sailboat.
It was hard not to laugh.

Same rep also told me that pressboard was a better material than ply for bulkheads. Yikes.

Just amazed at these statements can be said with a straight face.
Because he can't say:

The boat is under equipped, poorly built and costs more than it ever did.
slap, pdqaltair, cb32863 and 2 others like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #19 of 55 Old 09-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I would recommend against using one in the manner you imply. When teaching students how to gybe, the first instructional step is to trim the traveller to center position and to secure it. Not doing so results in losing some part of the benefit of controlling the main during the gybe - even if you first trim the main to center, during the gybe the main will move double the length of the traveller setting, re-opening the risk of breaking something on breezy day. If not that, the predictable noise will at least scare the kids.
I've jibed both ways, and to me trimming the sheet first, jibing, the moving the traveler last (quickly as possible) is easier and more gentle than centering the traveler first. But I likely have a much longer traveler.

But I'm not sure Drew is implying either technique. The traveler lines absorb shock either way.
baywater likes this.
post #20 of 55 Old 09-27-2016
HANUMAN

Do they build boats over 30 feet with one helm?

I was getting ready to *****slap the salesman who told me it was a big help in docking. One might think they would at least put the engine control(s) in the middle.

I'd set up Ye Olde Voice Tube hanging from the backstays over to the engine control.

"ALL AHEAD 1/16, Neutral, ALL AHEAD 1/8, Neutral, ALL STOP, ALL REVERSE 1/3, Neutral, ALL AHEAD 1/32, AFFIX THE FORWARD SPRING LINE, Neutral, ALL REVERSE 1/16, ALL STOP, AFFIX THE DOCKING LINES, MAKE ME A MOJITO, BRING ME MY LOUNGING SLIPPERS, SUMMER ROBE AND ASCOT"

**Please visit my website to buy the complete set of talking tube blueprints (duct tape, rusty filet knife and empty beer cans not included)
baywater and Minnesail like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in