NYC Harbor current/waves - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 10-02-2016

Dock
Re: NYC Harbor current/waves

Norfolk is good.
My boat is now in New Bern, North Carolina.

All I can say is that I sail at the times I think is correct in the season.
I have told many, many many via posts here and on CF that the exit from New York is about 20th of September and October is too late.

I know everyone on this forum thinks I am the dopiest bastard in the world but this is another year that dear prudence is earlier not later.

Mark
CVAT, mbianka and tempest like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-02-2016

Not Dopey, lol, You are a Prophet Mark! If memory serves me correctly many of the northern boats headed south to the Annapolis Show last year also got held up by weather or had to push through it.

I would add another twist. It's probably wise for anyone using the inside passage ( LIS, East River etc.) to be south of New York before the 3rd week of September because the UN General Assembly meets every year in the 3rd week of Sept. The CG often either closes the East River entirely for long periods, or forces everyone down the east side of Roosevelt Island. Then, they also close off the area around the heliport. It can be a real pain to try to time the "river openings" and "current"

This past week there have been a dozen or more boats holed up at the Atlantic Highlands, Sandy Hook et al. waiting out this low. There's now only a very short window to push south before the next blow arrives later this week, and the still to be determined path of Matthew.
CalebD and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by tempest; 10-02-2016 at 10:28 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-04-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Hopefully Don0190 will be in or around the Chesapeake by then which has quite a few hidey holes, gunk or hurricane holes as they call 'em.
How far down have you gotten so far don0190?

This past weekend had some pretty strong NE winds that I would prefer not to be sailing in.
I took advantage of the weather window a couple of days ago and ran all the way down NJ and up the Delaware to delaware City where I'm sitting to decide where to "hide".
CalebD and Sal Paradise like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Norfolk is good.
My boat is now in New Bern, North Carolina.

Mark
What are you plans for the storm in New Bern Mark?

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #15 of 18 Old 10-04-2016
Dirt Free

I'm hiding above Annapolis right now and won't head down til' Matthew clears.
Don's timing is a little too tight for my liking with whats going on right now.
In fact if I was him I'd plane several days up river in Haverstraw bay for 3 or 4 days.
mbianka likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-04-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
What are you plans for the storm in New Bern Mark?

I was going to the boat show but now i am going to have to get back to the boat Friday.

It pisses me off as i rented a car not due back till next monday... So i effectivly waste 4 days rental

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don's timing is a little too tight for my liking with whats going on right now.
In fact if I was him I'd plane several days up river in Haverstraw bay for 3 or 4 days.
I'm going to Georgetown today which is 7 miles up the Sassafras River. It's only Wed and I don't think I'm timing it tight at all and currently have 4 days I think.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #18 of 18 Old 10-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I was going to the boat show but now i am going to have to get back to the boat Friday.

It pisses me off as i rented a car not due back till next monday... So i effectivly waste 4 days rental

Bloody El! Went to bed last night with the storm expected to hit Long Island Saturday night. This morning it is turning east of Hatteras and spin south again. Maybe you'll luck out too. Here's hoping.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in