NYC Harbor current/waves - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-26-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

NYC Harbor current/waves

I'm thinking of catching the current tomorrow down the East river from Long Island Sound to Sandy Hook. The current planning appears pretty straight forward, but I'm concerned about waves at the Battery. Tomorrow's wind forecast is 10-15 SW, which puts the current and wind counter to each other with me riding the current. I've had some hairy experience with this in Boston in the past so wonder what experience in NY Harbor others have experienced.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 09-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-26-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Re: NYC Harbor current/waves

Don0190,

I wouldn't be too concerned about waves at the Battery in 10-15 SW winds. The fetch to the SW at the Battery is not very long (2 miles or less). Governor's Island keeps the bottom of the East River a bit in the lee as well.
I'd be more concerned about all the commercial traffic you are likely to encounter and the heliport right on the water near the Battery.
It is a fun trip (just did it about a month ago) but you need to be on your toes. Really nice to have AIS to see the commercial traffic that is just around the bend from you, heading your way. AIS will give you the name of the vessel so you can call the "skipper/captain of MV XYZ" on the VHF if you need to.
Keep VHF on 16. Ship to ship comms are either on 15 or 13.
Have fun. You will likely hit 10 knots SOG around Hell Gate/Roosevelt Island if you timed it right.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-26-2016

Don, depending on the timing and the actual wind direction and strength it's possible that you could get some steep, short period, very choppy seas in the Narrows, that could induce a little hobby horsing, and knock your speed down. I typically cut behind governors island via buttermilk channel and through the bay ridge flats. Going through buttermilk channel you avoid the Staten Island ferries. if you stay In the bay ridge flats, you'll avoid the seastreak from the highlands, that use the Bay Ridge, and red hook channels. There will be barges anchored in the flats, just keep an eye out for anything getting underway etc.

If it is nasty in the main shipping channel at the narrows you could cross over toward Staten Island and cut behind hoffman island. ( between hoffman is. and staten island) look at the chart. That gets you out of the standing waves earlier ( if present) then once into raritan bay, you can take a tack toward Sandy hook, that let's you clear the Earl ammunition Navy depot and on into Sandy Hook bay.

Just a thought for a fall back plan, in case it's tough slogging through the narrows and down the main shipping channel. The difference can be remarkable.
CalebD likes this.

Last edited by tempest; 09-26-2016 at 07:11 PM.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-27-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

I delayed the trip because it is all rainy out and we what to be able to take in the view as we go. I'll check out the route some more, but tomorrow is suppose to be NE winds and that shouldn't be a problem I think.

Last edited by Don L; 10-01-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-29-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Caught the current all the way with good timing. No issue at all and I didn't find the boat traffic much at all. The biggest issue was the last couple hours into Sandy Hook NJ as a gale started up. So now I'm at anchor in Sandy hook where the wind has been blowing 20-30 since yesterday and has hit 40 regularly today. Hoping to get out of here Sunday :-(

post #6 of 18 Old 09-29-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Good stuff.
Yeah, the forecast does not look so great right now with winds possibly moderating by Sat/Sunday with the wind shifting to North by Mon/Tuesday.
Are you planning to keep going south to Cape May?

Everybody has one:

post #7 of 18 Old 10-01-2016 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Are you planning to keep going south to Cape May?
And beyond!

post #8 of 18 Old 10-01-2016

Better keep a weather eye on Matthew a Cat 4 hurricane just ramping up in the Carribbean. Could come up the coast.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-01-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

that matthew cane is headed right for you.. it is spozed to rake up the coast. find a safe hiding place. hunker down fro some serious wind and surge and rain.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #10 of 18 Old 10-02-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Hopefully Don0190 will be in or around the Chesapeake by then which has quite a few hidey holes, gunk or hurricane holes as they call 'em.
How far down have you gotten so far don0190?

This past weekend had some pretty strong NE winds that I would prefer not to be sailing in.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in