SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Storage costs in FL (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/266322-storage-costs-fl.html)

Flint 09-30-2016 11:23 AM

Storage costs in FL

Hi everybody
I'm hoping someone can tell me "on average" what cradle storage costs at a boat yard in Florida. I sail on Lake Ontario - our season is just ending. I would love to have a boat in the south somewhere. Something 30-35ft. Launch for a couple months cruising time in the winter. (so goes the fantasy anyway :)

But what are storage fees like? Crazy or reasonable?
cheers
David

ianjoub 09-30-2016 02:46 PM

Re: Storage costs in FL

There are very affluent parts of FL and very poor parts of FL. I am sure storage costs vary greatly from one place to another.

hellosailor 09-30-2016 03:14 PM

Would suggest you spend two weeks each in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, St. Augustine, Naples, St. Pete, Jacksonville, and Pensacola for a start. And then two weeks checking out the Keys. Once you have a better idea of which "Florida" you want to sail in, you can start asking what it costs to be there.

Most Yankees have no idea that Canada is a Confederation with different Provinces. Well, Florida is like that, too.

And, you might want to read some of the fiction by Carl Hiaasen, an award-winning long time newspaper journalist out of Miami. You'll say "Oh, that's totally ridiculous, what is this crap?" But Hiaasen only started writing it after years of reporting on it. Pick your port carefully.

Minnesail 09-30-2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 3680762)
And, you might want to read some of the fiction by Carl Hiaasen, an award-winning long time newspaper journalist out of Miami. You'll say "Oh, that's totally ridiculous, what is this crap?" But Hiaasen only started writing it after years of reporting on it. Pick your port carefully.

Hah! Just last week I attended a book event for him, and met him afterward. Funny, funny stuff. Ah, Florida.

Flint 09-30-2016 06:56 PM

Ianjoub: Thanks for that. I'm sure there are disadvantaged groups in FL, just like everywhere, not a place to leave a nice boat. Nor is it my intention to breath the same air as FL super wealthy. Give me an idea of what a "middle of the road" boat yard would want. $100/month, $500/month? more?

Hellosailor: 16 week vacation in FL, yeah man that's a plan. Any facts on the $$$ for yard space? I don't want to sail FL at all. Just a place to keep the boat when I haul out.

travlin-easy 09-30-2016 07:52 PM

While I hate sending you to the Cruiser's Forum site, you will find it fairly easy to utilize the site charts and get the information as to where the marinas are situated, etc..., then give them a call and get some first hand information.

As stated above, it would be a good idea to take an extended vacation, determine what part of this huge state you wish to sail, then go about searching for a marina that suits your needs and budget. For me, the Florida Keys is where I love being, while others prefer the west coast near Punta Gorda, Ft Myers, etc...

There is so much to select from, it would be nearly impossible to find what you wish without at least taking that extended vacation to the sunshine state.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

bigdogandy 09-30-2016 07:58 PM

This is a great place off the beaten path and away from the coastal hurricane zone:

Indiantown Marina - Rates

Not sure what their rates are now but 5-6 years ago they quoted me $350/month to store my 32 boat in their yard:

Dockage ? Cape Marina

I kept my boat in this marina for several years when I lived in Orlando. Great marina, good people, pretty good rates:

Long Term Dry Storage ? Harbortown Marina | Merritt Island Port Canaveral Boat Storage & Fuel

hellosailor 09-30-2016 09:37 PM

Flint, I'd second the motion to look them up directly. maps.google.com and look for marinas, then see what each charges. Depending on whether they will allow you to do work, whether you take it by the month or the season, whether you're near the coast or a height-restricted couple of hours in..."Reasonable" is more likely to happen as you go north, and further from inlets and beaches.

cdy 10-01-2016 06:32 PM

Check out Green Cove Springs Marina in Green Cove Springs Florida - Northeast Florida - its on the St Johns river - there are boats there from all over the world - has about the cheapest dry storage prices - probably around $120 month - do it your self yard - they have hundreds of sailboats there - the bathroom facilities are mot the greatest - close to St Augustine -
Its 50 miles south on the river from its intersection with the Intracoastal and the jetties at Mayport - pass through downtown Jax and then another 25 miles. Fresh water once you get to GCS.

shipshaper 10-01-2016 09:23 PM

In this ex-snowbird's ten "flights" between Chesapeake Bay and Florida 1990 - 2004, I've made several trips from Stuart to Fort Myers and back via the Okeechobee (Okee-dokee, I calls it!) Waterway. Passage is restricted by a 54' high level bridge at (~) mile 28. At mile 29 (from Stuart) is Indiantown Marina, and further along - below Moore Haven, is Glades Storage, mile 89. Both have vast storage areas on the hard - the latter was always rumored to have very reasonable rates. Bear in mind this was over a decade ago, so... I suggest going to google maps and viewing the entire route "from the air" - Jurassic Park may not be your cup of tea! Check cruising guides like Waterway Guide for the rest. Tip: Back in the day, there was a pizza place in Indiantown - Joey's Pizza - delicious, real NY pizza served up by a real NYer. How he discovered Indiantown eludes me - I'd love to hear the story! Also note that either is a "good" place to be in a hurricane - if there IS such a thing! Had plenty too many, meself!