Annapolis boat show +Hurricane Matthew approaching? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 Old 10-05-2016

Re: Annapolis boat show +Hurricane Matthew approaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Minne I saw that this morning and it's good news for us, but the forecast has gotten worse for Florida and the Carolinas.

Fingers crossed for all those in the storm's path.
Agreed. My relief only applied to the context of this thread, the boat show in Annapolis.

My Dad is actually on the East coast of FL and prepping. He plans to ride it out. His house is modern hurricane construction with very good storm shutters. Still, I worry about the old man, now pushing 80. He's ridden them out before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 10-05-2016 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Yes i saw this morning that it could be making a hard right turn out to sea! Yeahoooo

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #13 of 54 Old 10-05-2016

Still another 36 hours of info before needing to make a decision here. We were planning on the boat show this weekend. Even though the storm isn't projected to march directly up the coast, which would gave diverted us to storm prep in RI, I'm still curious where it goes next. If the trip north is just delayed, I still need to storm prep this weekend. These canes are a PITA.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 54 Old 10-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Agreed. My relief only applied to the context of this thread, the boat show in Annapolis.

My Dad is actually on the East coast of FL and prepping. He plans to ride it out. His house is modern hurricane construction with very good storm shutters. Still, I worry about the old man, now pushing 80. He's ridden them out before.
My son's in Marathon down in the Keys. Looks like it will stay well north of him. Definitely a relief.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-05-2016 at 02:10 PM.
post #15 of 54 Old 10-05-2016

Getting back to the boat show, I just got an email from the boat show folks:

Annapolis Sailboat Show Will Open on Schedule

The possibility that Matthew might make its way up the Chesapeake, put a bit of a scare through the sailing industry intent on participating in the 47th United States Sailboat Show, but as of Wednesday morning the hurricane has diverted its path and is expected to miss the Mid-Atlantic.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #16 of 54 Old 10-05-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

[QUOTE=boatpoker;3686481]I'm a day away. Do you know if there is anchoring space in Weems Creek right now ?[/QUOT

Weems Creek was very full last weekend with snowbirds and people already anchored for the show.
We stopped on Saturday to anchor there and went further up the Severn.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.- Dennis Conner
post #17 of 54 Old 10-05-2016
al brazzi

So far a good turn for the forecast, Going (to show) tomorrow and then on to Norfolk, CBBT still a go. A friend going home to Central FL different story for him. Pulling for all on the SE coast.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Virginia | Wind, Weather & Forecast | WindAlert

CBBT Weather Conditions
post #18 of 54 Old 10-07-2016
al brazzi

Another beautiful day in Annapolis. To anyone driving in I might suggest parking near Weems & Plathe tent sale, shop and buy if you wish then use their (free for tips) shuttle service to and from the Gate. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I didn't see any Hunter or Catalina models FWIW. The Gozzard was the beauty of the show and the Gunboat is just bad ass.
post #19 of 54 Old 10-08-2016

Hunter absent. Catalina had plenty in their usual spot behind the tents in the inner corner of the floats.
The Following User Says Thank You to xort For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (10-08-2016)
post #20 of 54 Old 10-08-2016

I didn't get on any boats yesterday. Maybe tomorrow if/when I go back.

However, I did notice that Catalina was there with their usual display of about 6 boats. And I did notice that Hunter was nowhere to be found. That's very surprising to me, as I thought they've been on somewhat of a comeback since Marlow bought them. The show was on their calendar. Were their display boats stuck in port due to Matthew?

Upcoming Events | UNITED STATES SAILBOAT SHOW | Marlow-Hunter, LLC

I've never gotten much out of looking at brand new boats. Usually I come away wondering "How will this boat hold up in 15 years?" I get obsessed with looking for fake melamine wood laminate (that will crack, warp, or delaminate over time, especially at corners), cheap PVC headliners with foam padding behind them (that will crack as the plasticizers gas off, foam will degrade), etc. I guess I do also get a little obsessive about poor cockpit ergonomics. Occasionally I see a nice innovation or two, but for the most part I have no fun looking at new boats.

Now that I have my first inboard diesel boat with more complex systems, I suppose that I'll become more sensitive to access to engine and other systems, and will have new things to obsess over in the future when looking at new boats.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in