Annapolis boat show +Hurricane Matthew approaching? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 Old 10-10-2016
bell ringer

Re: Annapolis boat show +Hurricane Matthew approaching?

I pulled into Newport the day after the show and there was lots of room in the anchorage.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 Old 10-10-2016 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
You can still park for $10 at the stadium and take a free shuttle to the show. You can anchor in the South Anchorage (free) and take a water taxi into the show (cheap) or dinghy in to free dinghy docks. If you come early you can get free street parking and walk. There are many options. If you want to park in the Historic District or close by in Eastport you have to pay the going rate.

Personally I think $30 to park for the day is absurd but the price point seems to still allow filling all the parking. That's good for the Eastport Elementary PTA and it helps offset the extra public service costs of the Show.
SVAuspicious this is excellant advice here! I went to the show with my parents, my dad has 2 hip replacments and anckle issues but he can drink! My Mom had a excercise injury so she did good but, me and the wife felt like we were rushed! Yes it rained and we were all wet and at the end we left at 5:30 we were a little cold. Did not dress for it to be cold. Anyways I did find a free shuttle ride and Free parking it was at a place that had a tent sale almost a ways behind the school lot parking! The only reason i did this is for my parents they couldnt walk that far all day! The Show was alot of waqlking for them anyways and i dont think they will be back, which is sad to me because i LOVE the Annapolis area and the sailors!

I wish i could meet some good people and go sailing there and maybe get aplace to stay LOL! it looks like next year it will be me and the Wife, I try to bring people into my life and show them what i like! This doesnt always work out like you think. I grew up on Mono, learned to sail back when i was 14 years old. Now i have my own catamaran, only 21 foot, it does me just fine in the small lake i am in back at home in Pittsburgh! We are looking to move i just do not know yet where to go. Ihave a 6pack license and would like to use that, i am a Computer IT guy for my profession right now for 16 years. It would be great to do what you love for life, maybe be a sales person for a boat company , i dont know. I was very sad not to see the 32 foot Corsair there , but they did have the Dragon flys! Those are such a nice made boat!

In gettting on and off the boats when you have to take off your shoes and sign up and stuff is a bit not cool! My dad didnt want to get on a lot of boats because of this, i think if you have someone to look at your soles of your shoes to see if you need to take them off would be a better idea. Like me and the wife wear boat shoes and we still have to take them off. I am mostly there for the Multihuls and meeting people and figuring out stuff. Next year i want to try to stay a little longer, but the show was on in the rain less people showed up. lol

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #53 of 54 Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

So, this is it no more talk? WTH Boat show is over and everyone is gone until next year

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""

post #54 of 54 Old 10-11-2016

OK. I'll add this. There were many impressive craft. The cats are amazing in size. And price. I wish I remember the names but having not looked at cats, I'm not nearly as familiar with them so the names didn't stick. Each was impressive in finish and accomodations. Some had more living space than many apartments.

The difference I found between them tended to be at the helm. I sat at one and only by standing and leaning towards starboard could I see the bow or sails. No way to see the port side without leaving the helm.

Others had better lines of site, but that was my take away.

On the monohulls. I looked at primarily the 31-37ish sizes since that's the range I would plunk money down for. I did go in larger craft but only to marvel more than anything.

Those teak boards with the painted lines to make it look like decking....absolutely hideous. It's not so much the teak itself, but IMO to try to make it look like decking is the mistake. We all know it's paint. Instead draw a geometric design or a fleur-de-lis or a maple leaf for Canadians. It's done by a machine, it could be custom for the price of the artwork. The lines scream fake.

Two wheels? On the larger boats there's room. On a 34 they practically touch one another. Stop trying to be something you're not.

One of the marques I specifically wanted to see was Hanse. The interior on the 31 was disappointing. I couldn't tell if the wood was real or pressboard with a veneer. I know there's a price point. IMO don't try to imitate the larger boats (the 37 was much higher quality interior). The interior easily could have been a simpler design with better materials. Maybe I'm not the typical buyer, but that one is off my list.

The cockpits of some of the larger boats look like dance floors. One of the attractions of a sailboat to me is the intimacy of it. Don't get me wrong, I like my space too. But I'm having a tough time imagining having a conversation from one side to the other with the wind whistling in my ears.

The most impressive boat I saw at the show? The Bavaria 34. I know, there were astounding craft all over and they were truly stunning. But the Bavaria's finishes were on par with other manufacturers big boats. It had a great design. It felt solid and well thought-out in every way. And it was just a touch over $200K. Maybe the least expensive cruiser there.

I happened to be on it the same time as a Catalina owner who was just marveling. We spoke about small details all over the boat which had obviously been considered in the build. I believe I actually saw the moment he decided he was ready to trade.

Last point, Friday too many of the display people looked like they would rather be anywhere else but where they were. I've been there, I know it's boring. But if you can't put on your happy face and appear slightly interested, why should I have any interest in your product?

A fun day overall. Glad the weather held out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in