Going, going gone.... - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Going, going gone....

As oft happens this time of year, it is time to say goodby to the lazy, hazy days of summer and the anchorage at St George's, Grenada. And reasonably decent internet.
In a month we managed to get the bottom done, take delivery of and install a new refrigeration compressor (at a whopping us$600.00 for airfreight) and get a bunch of other jobs done. But now the 'good times' are over and it's back to sailing.
With 6 charters already booked and hopefully a few more in the pipe, we're off to WORK. No more scraping, painting, lugging 80# compressors on & off the boat, never mind humping them up & down the companionway ladder and into the dink. Sad day.
So, we're up @ the ungodly hour of 5AM, having a quick bite before we pull the pick and raise the sails for our 65' run to Bequia.
Sailing? I thought the point of living on a boat was doing maintenance and repairs in a tropical anchorage. What a disappointment!
CVAT, mbianka and seabeau like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2016

Re: Going, going gone....

All the best, this season. Many dream of what you're doing, having no idea what it takes to pull it off. The $600 in airfreight should get their attention, if not the amount of work involved. Of course, some of them need to learn to sail first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Best wishes for the earning season and maybe see you in Bequia for Christmas

post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2016

Did you piss in a cup yet?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Whaaaa?!? You're not sailing every day, lounging lazily in warm water, soaking up the endlessly sunny days while waiting for that first sundowner? That seriously blows all my notions about living in paradise. Oh well. Have a great season
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Thanks all for the good wishes. As I'd feared, we've had no internet since before the election, until an hour ago. Who won? Just kidding; EVERYBODY is talking about it down here....
The last week has been absolutely the worst weather I've seen outside a hurricane in this part of the world, with several islands experiencing some of the worst flooding EVER, even including hurricanes. Every town had new lakes and the locals were outdoing one another naming them. We filled a 10" deep bucket with water in 20 hours and the rain kept going for three more days! Tough charter, but they were great sports.
Had to enter the Tobago Cays on radar (to see all the moored boats), as vis was only about 50 feet at times! Thankfully, I'd previously placed waypoints so I had a "marked channel" into the anchorage and hitting the coral wasn't a worry. Ain't yachting fun?
But the sun's back and we've finally gotten the multiple changes of clothes for each day dry. How do the folks in the PNW and SE Ak live with that continual dampness?
Got a true "back to back" next week, dropping off and picking up on the same day. Going to be a busy few weeks, I think.
Hon, may I have another Johnnie Black? A guy's gotta get prepared.
Attached Thumbnails
ark.jpg  
seabeau likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
All the best, this season. Many dream of what you're doing, having no idea what it takes to pull it off. The $600 in airfreight should get their attention, if not the amount of work involved. Of course, some of them need to learn to sail first.
$600 us chump change these days - Hell, I have a tooth crown that costs a lot more than $600.

Have a good season,

Gary
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
$600 us chump change these days

Have a good season,

Gary
Cool. How about you PM me your credit card number and I'll just charge the "chump change" to you next time, Gary? LOL

post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2016

No problem, check your email.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in