What do you do with your yacht during the winter? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 11-09-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: What do you do with your yacht during the winter?

My boat moves indoors, at home...
Lots to do for next season, assuming the boat does not sell. I've already done lots to the boat, motor, trailer, and I'm debating taking it to the next level (painting cockpit, redoing interior cushions, ordering a new genoa... lots of cosmetic stuff).

There are a couple of racier boats I'm looking at starting with the letter J.

My bad you said YACHT... I'm sorry I only own a run down old trailerable One Design.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 11-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
It's that time of year again when many boat yards are filling up with yachts that will be stored ashore for the winter. What will you be doing with yours this winter?

I wrote a short article covering some tips when you lay up your boat for the winter:

Top tips for winterising your yacht - Halcyon Yachts

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. If you have anything else to add then please let me know? It might even be useful to people who are newer to boat ownership...

Pete
It's interesting how EU sailors commonly refer to their boats as 'yachts', no matter what the size. There's no pretension in the word in many (most?) places around the world.

But in the US the term 'yacht' is often seen as elitist if it's not of mega-yacht proportions. I wonder why the difference?

Your list is great. It all depends upon locale on the US coasts and inland. Here in the Northeast, really cold weather can descend in the fall. Raw water components can freeze quickly (I once had a transmission case freeze overnight after haul out before I could winterize).

On the coast of Maine, after haul out I winterize the engine and water systems - remove a garboard drain plug that keeps the bilge dry. Then I put a simple high pitch frame on the boat and use one 30'x50' tarp. I remove the spar so I can keep rain and snow out. Once that's done (and it doesn't take all that much work), I relax with the boat out of the water, and enjoy the down time doing different things(not sailing).

I'll occasionally do work on the boat when weather is nice(it warms up under the tarp). You can do projects underneath leaving tools and what not on deck - come and go for a few hours when you feel like.
baywater and seabeau like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-09-2016

I winter in water, haul and do bottom and wax in Spring. I usually save the engine winterizing for late nov or early dec. But if I see a real cold snap I run down and do the winterizing. It's only takes an hr or two for both systems. I remove the sails and running rigging, but the stick stays. I cover some seasons (the ones with no snow) and don't ( the ones with lots of snow) . Boat has a bat charger and batts are on float. I leave the solar panels out usually... and check on the boat and or work on some project each weak running the Espar to warm things up.

post #14 of 36 Old 11-09-2016
not so Junior Member....

I leave mine in the water but remove most of the clothing, good sails, tools and other relics of civilized sailing but for one quarterbunk cushion, pillows and survival blanket. I leave coffee and soup onboard and some fuell for the stove. I use thr best old sails and try to get out whenever there's a mild weekend without ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 36 Old 11-13-2016
Full time cruiser

Live on her as we do the rest of the year - only difference is we will probably do a heck of a lot less sailing or none - but we will stay on her

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #16 of 36 Old 11-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by baywater View Post
I leave mine in the water but remove most of the clothing, good sails, tools and other relics of civilized sailing but for one quarterbunk cushion, pillows and survival blanket. I leave coffee and soup onboard and some fuell for the stove. I use thr best old sails and try to get out whenever there's a mild weekend without ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Removing and storing cushions can be a problem. I vacuum mine and then cover them with old bedsheets and store them overhead in the open trusswork in the garage. Working them up into that space is always fun!

I also remove the anchors and rodes so they can dry thoroughly over the winter. Removing all the stuff you can from the boat helps keep mildew down, which minimizes "boat smell" in the cabin. Pumping out the holding tank, then flushing and pumping it out again also helps. Having a pump out boat in our area is a real benefit!
baywater likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-13-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i donot own a yacht.
a yacht has a helipad on it.
i own a sailing ketch and i use it year round.
i left coldville many decades ago with bells on my butt and wings flapping ungracefully.
life here is good
it is warm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #18 of 36 Old 11-13-2016

Well, I'll keep sailing my "yacht" this winter where it's warm. The NE Monsoon seems to be kicking in a bit, clearer skies and drier weather, hurray!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I'll probably sail her every week or two.
As long as the water stays soft. Cabin heat was one of my best investments.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #20 of 36 Old 11-14-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
It's interesting how EU sailors commonly refer to their boats as 'yachts', no matter what the size. There's no pretension in the word in many (most?) places around the world.

But in the US the term 'yacht' is often seen as elitist if it's not of mega-yacht proportions. I wonder why the difference?
Are you kidding? Even the term "sailboat" carries a negative connotation in the US. My co-workers constantly give me grief for merely owning such a conveyance. In most other cultures, "yacht" merely means almost any boat not in commercial use.

In nearly any retirement planning article or news article about investing or wealth planning, we're usually subjected to photos of white, elderly, smiling couples wearing white, linen pantsuits. Is it any wonder that it carries an elitist taint in the US?

As a result, I'm made to feel guilty for owning and enjoying my 4-knot sh#tbox. I know people that have more money invested in their Harley-Davidson motorcycles than I do in my boat.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in