What's your Cape Horn boat choice? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 11-20-2016

Re: What's your Cape Horn boat choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Ok, to counter your argument here is a picture of a boat I sailed upwind into the trade winds from Australia to Tahiti TWICE. Often 30-40 knot winds and huge seas breaking over the bow.

Notice the sleek aft sloping windows. We had blue water crashing over these for days on end. Solid waves one after another. Nothing broke, never leaked. Your fear is unfounded if the boat is built correctly.

Those windows are for letting in LIGHT. On the trawler, the windows are for forward visibility. They are tilted inward so that glare INSIDE the pilothouse doesn't distract the person at the helm. Can you imagine how annoying it would be if a computer monitor or some LED light on a piece of equipment kept getting reflected back at you?

Same reason they're tilted inward in THIS building!

No, that's NOT where I work, but close.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 11-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Those windows are for letting in LIGHT. On the trawler, the windows are for forward visibility. They are tilted inward so that glare INSIDE the pilothouse doesn't distract the person at the helm. Can you imagine how annoying it would be if a computer monitor or some LED light on a piece of equipment kept getting reflected back at you?

Same reason they're tilted inward in THIS building!

No, that's NOT where I work, but close.
Spent many watches sitting in a seat behind it day and night and never had a problem with glare from instruments, radar or computer.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #63 of 68 Old 11-20-2016

Basically, people like big windows. So we find ways to rationalize big windows, even though logically, there is little reason to believe that a larger area of glass is less likely to leak or break than a smaller one.

Maybe we can find anecdotes of larger windows not breaking. But that doesn't change the odds. Hell, even leaving aside the water slamming into them, or how they'll hold up if the boat get rolled, consider the increased likelihood of whatever else. Someone drops a winch handle or a spinnaker pole just right. Rigging crashes through it during a failure. Or any other damned thing.

Yeah, lots of glass and a bright interior is very nice. Does it benefit a passage around a great cape? Nope. Is it more probably a liability? Yep.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau

post #64 of 68 Old 11-21-2016

Even if a smaller glass area is not less likely to break under wave impact than a big sheet of glass, it is much easier to plug up a small hole than a big one and have it stand up to wave action.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #65 of 68 Old 11-21-2016

I think some boats built with larger windows with very thick glass/plexiglass and extremely well mounted in metal frames that attach to the inner and outer hull surfaces are probably ok in 99% of the southern latitude sailing. Modern entry level production boats built with thin plexiglass glued to the outer hull are not built for that type of sailing. Falling off a wave can put unbelievable strains on port lites of any kind and it's nice to know you have a boat that can deal with these conditions.
post #66 of 68 Old 11-22-2016

For my "Horse Latitudes" expedition sailboat, 45 to 50 ft. in length, steel would be the only option, with thicker, heaver plating below the immersed waterline and with collision and watertight bulkheads. Twin steering stations, one outside and one in a pilothouse with its windows protected as work boats and naval vessels have been for years, with heavy wire(#9) mesh set into heavy frames approx. 2 inches in front of the windows. The wire mesh acts like the famous "wave breaking sticks" on the bows of the ancient Polynesian trekking canoes, breaking up the impact forces, associated with large boarding waves and but also boat related "missiles". A semi-balanced barn door rudder, with a large hole predrilled in its upper aft section, for emergency steering if needed, would be entirely protected by deadwood. All ballast would be internal, with a centerboard to help act as prevention against knockdown by large breaking waves. Rig would be split(ketch) thereby lowering the center of effort and in the event of rig failure, provide some factor of redundancy/self rescuing.
post #67 of 68 Old 11-22-2016

With all the talk about glass vulnerability why not just apply some ESG or 3M ballistic glass coatings. The glass might shatter but it won't open up and let water in. Seems like cheap easy fix and way nicer to look through then metal mesh. Well not super cheap but in regards to boats rounding the Horn small percent of budget.

Unlimited budget I would have a custom cold molded hull with maybe a little Kevlar in the right places. Something that would be cozy tied up in a little bay of the Beagle channel as I was out rowing and gunk holing my way around Patagonia. Room enough for all my Climbing, skiing, rowing, kayaking, fishing, diving gear etc etc.

Less then 50K I kind of like the Bristol 38.8 but I bet that is still a little expensive. Maybe a Bristol 35.5. The fit out is really tough to pull off under 50K. I really have no desire to sail around the horn though it would be cool to sail to Antarctica.

The Cape Horn is like Everest, I would love to go there and explore the area but I don't need or desire to round it or summit it.
seaner97 and seabeau like this.
post #68 of 68 Old 11-22-2016

When we were cruising in Greece we met a couple at anchor in the early spring before the hordes were out and had a nice talk over tea. They had just spent 2 years in Pantigonia. They pretty much gunk holed the general area and loved the experience. They coastal hopped most of the way down and back and we're sailing a fiberglass boat built in the 70's although it appeared to be well built without the weaknesses of newer production builds. Too damn cool there for us but it's getting to be a popular area for a few diehards.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in