buying a trailer bunks vs rollers Newport 17 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 11-22-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: buying a trailer bunks vs rollers Newport 17

You folks are all bent out of shape about the point loading of "rollers." Don't any of you folks use POPPETS to support your boat? Come on, they use (6) 12" by 12" pads to support boats up to 40 feet! Granted the weight is mostly on the keel, but um... thats POINT LOADING TOO!

My boat sits on its bilge primarily, and the rollers are on flexible arms, that cushion the boat... bunks are usually rigid.. Truth is ANY trailer if you don't adjust it correctly will distort a hull.

I've had every type of trailer in my last 3 boats... bunks (Capri 22), Poppets (Capri 25), and rollers (S2 7.9) I had bunks for that too. My boat is 4750lbs empty (not a light trailerable)..

My point (pun intended) to point loading is, that its a non issue, and even less an issue for the Newport 17.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 11-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Ok so a roller is what about 3" wide... And the boat sits on what...maybe an inch...so 3 sq /in per roller.

A basic stand pad is what 12" x12" or 144 sq/in...so you would need about 48 rollers to equal the spread of one pad...

A basic bunk is what, a 2x6?, probably 8' to 10'...?

Let's use an 8' bunk, 96" x 5 1/2" or 528 sq/in times two (one each side) or 1056 sq/in....

You would need 352 rollers to equal the support of a basic bunk trailer...

How many rollers you got ??? How much support you got ???
If the issue was that simple, you'd think there'd be an epidemic of sailboat hulls, and especially of powerboat hulls with hefty inboard V8 engines, that would be cracking like eggshells on roller bunk trailers, but they aren't. A boat doesn't need support under every square inch of it's surface. Even a trailer with fixed bunks only has narrow planks supporting it. Most of the boat's underwater surface has nothing but air supporting it when it's on a trailer. The hull's shape and inner reinforcement provides it rigidity. Moreover, about 1/3 of the weight of a typical swing keel boat rests on the trailer frame. The other 2/3 is supported by the rollers. On a fixed keel boat, most of the boat's weight rests on the trailer frame. The rollers only need to carry enough weight to keep the boat balanced upright.

The EZ Loader trailer manufacturing company, as well as other manufacturers, have built many thousands of roller bunk trailers since they were invented in the early 1950s. In this litigious world, if they were damaging peoples' boats, they would have gone out of business long ago.

My present boat weighs 13,000 lbs, and it is stored on the hard every winter, supported only by six jackstands with 12" flat plywood boards on top, and most of that 12 inches square doesn't even touch the hull's curved bottom.

If a boat hull would collapse under it's own weight without external support, it would be a pretty poor excuse for a boat.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-22-2016

Scantlings for a power boat with a V8, a 13K displacement sailboat, and a Newport 17 are all very different. The thicker the layup schedule and corresponding hull support of heavy and or fast boats rollers vs bunks becomes less about point loading and more about moving boat on and off trailer. Sure float on and off is great but sometimes a particular launch ramp doesn't have the depth. A second point worth noting is the difference between a boat sitting on jack stands or storage trailer compared to diving down the highway at 60 mph loaded with gear and hitting pot holes towing light boat. Biggest variables are scantlings and proper strapping.

In the grand scheme of things roller vs bunk probably won't make much difference. Find a nice galvanized trailer that fits your boat grease the hubs, rinse the salt off and have fun. For what it is worth I vote bunks for the Newport 17.

post #24 of 29 Old 11-23-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

waterrat, you mention the difference of poppets going down the road.. except that many larger boats, are placed on flatbeds with fixed/welded poppets.... As was my prior boat on its shorelander trailer.

and

Boat weight #3500.

post #25 of 29 Old 11-23-2016

A lot of flat bottom, centerboard dinghies and smaller boats are not built the same way as keelboats. They are not meant to stand up and take the weight on their keel. Most of them don't have a keel. Their bottoms are relatively thin and oilcan easily. Most of the time they are fine on trailers with rollers only, but if the cockpit fills up with rain water or snow, the extra weight WILL crack the hull unless the hull is very well supported. As much as I try to prevent my cockpit drains from clogging, it does happen now and then. So that is why all my trailers have long and wide bunks.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #26 of 29 Old 11-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would look on craigslist for a cheap used boat trailer. You can find one in decent shape that would fit your boat for under $400. You may need to add a mast support to it, but that can be done for about $100. My trailers (have 3 sailboats on them) all have bunks and rollers. No way you would want a trailer with rollers only: they put too much stress on the hull.
My Lancer 25 (4000 pounds loaded) sits on a roller trailer. Has pretty much been there continuously for 9 years. No deflection at all. Even with a number of storms dumping 18" on it. Don't worry about rollers. And with only 9" draft, I bet a power boat trailer with little or no mods will take it nicely.
SHNOOL likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 11-24-2016

Other than having a trailer for a center console dinghy that was only used to store for the winter, I haven't routinely been a trailer sailor, since I was pretty young. Dad had a couple.

Bottom line is that launching and hauling can be a pain in the butt and your mood in the moment can dictate whether you go sailing at all. Not to mention the need to rig and de-rig. Launch ramps are not all the same either, from angle to depth to dockage to pavement. Floating off is not always a practical option, without water coming in the doors of the tow vehicle.

Get the trailer that will be easiest for you to use, with as many toys and conveniences as you can afford. You will sail more. I favor rollers, or a combination of each. Articulating trailers, power winches, whatever your heart desires. Enjoy the boat!
Sailormon6 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-24-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

26 foot sailboat, with swept spreaders, semi-circular mast step with a single pin, and draws 18 inches, with a round bottom... so its "possible" to trailer sail my 26 footer. No I'd not want to do it per sail... so I'm really just seasonal.... Even though I'm in the water from arrival in about 15 minutes... mast is up and sails on in about another 45.

post #29 of 29 Old 11-29-2016

Up until this year, we trailered and launch our 25 every weekend. Depending on the day and how I want to tell the story, it has taken as little as 20 minutes to stop, step and float. Nowadays, closer to 45 minute average. Our mast has a fairly stout section so we need a gin pole, but it isn't bad. We even did mostly day sails the first two years. Still not bad once you get used to and good at it.
SHNOOL likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in