Brexit - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 01-19-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Brexit

It really is a perception she just feels that it's a long way away. Then I guess there is the cost out the flights. From the med we will probably go back to the U.K. Quite frequently and that will get expensive if we are traveling to and from the other side of the pond.
There is also our house in Cyprus which we have struggled to keep up the mortgage payments on for so long that we want to get some use from. It's all a balance and I can see where she is coming from.
The way I see it is a few months sailing then either home to the UK for a while or off to Cyprus then back to the boat again.
We rent our house in Cyprus for the summer months so hopefully that will help to fund our travels.
We are by no means rich so we will have to fund this somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 01-19-2017

fYI see the cheap flights by WOW and iceland air ..it's getting more competitive
post #23 of 25 Old 01-20-2017

I totally understand having to make the crew happy, perception and all. A house in Cyprus is not a bad consolation prize.

All the best with your plans. If you see a crack in the door, planned flights to/from the major Caribbean airports can be cheap. High volume tourist location. If you have to get home to mum, in an emergency, that gets pricey. I suppose it could from Greece too, but I'm not familiar.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 25 Old 01-21-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the good wishes.
I suppose the Brexit question will be answered for sure eventually.
In the meantime I hope we can get some sailing in. Our timescale is back to the Uk Early November, buy boat fix the house up. We have been renting it out, Sell it, take off so hopefully by this time next year we will be getting close.
Hope to be in the med by the springtime. Fingers crossed. Depends how quickly we can sell the house I suppose.
post #25 of 25 Old 02-02-2017
Mermaid Hunter

@MarkofSeaLife got it right at the top of the thread. The relationship between the UK and EU will be the result of much diplomatic negotiation, discussion which have not even begun. Once Article 50 is exercised decisions by other countries within the EU, of which there are already rumbles, could change the game entirely.

For cruisers Schengen does make a difference.

Brexit will have a greater impact on Americans and others who are not UK or EU citizens. The Azores and Canary Islands will be in the EU but the UK will not. That means more C&I (not a huge burden) and likely more care about import and VAT.

As long as my Tessco card is still valid everything else can be worked out. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in