Rolling over - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 01-05-2007 Thread Starter

Rolling over

Inlight of Ken barnes recent expieriance I have started thinking more about what would happen on my own boat if it got rolled. And I Hope Ken gives a detailed disciption on his site in the future we all would benefit from that.
My first thouht was getting rid of the water then the rig thats pretty straight forward.
My secound thought was restoring power this is when I realized hey my house batteries arent secure enough for that.(on the list as of this morning) my engine batteries are.
The next thought was after that 360 would the engine even crank.
So lets assume that you rolled over, down flooding was not bad enough to completely submerg your engine and you have sealed batteries that stayed put. do you think that after getting the water out you would be able to get the engine started? would the batts be shorted out if submerged would water in the exhaust have time to fill the engine up. If you were in weather like that what stepps could you take beforehand to make it more likely that you could recover power. Personally I think I would be trying to roll the engine over by hand and if it wasnt hydro locked be huntin some power or a really good pull rope. what do you think? depends on alot I know just go ahead speculate

Matt

Matt
s\v Soul Searcher
Caliber 40LRC

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in