eBay deals? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SVTatia
  • 1 Post By miatapaul
  • 1 Post By North Channel Sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2017 Thread Starter

eBay deals?

Where have all the good deals on eBay gone? I am finding everything is expensive now. I am trying to source stuff for the new to me Boat. With the low CDN dollar it's even worse. Shipping is way higher now too. Heck, I bought a whole boat on eBay 10 years ago at a bargain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hughes 38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: eBay deals?

I question whether there has ever been a good deal on EBay, more like cheap beaten boats of even less value than the price. Related horror stories are legion. One I think of often, is the guy who bought an EBAY boat on the Boston Noth shore and on the trip to his home, lost the rig just ten miles into Mass Bay...

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-01-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2017 Thread Starter

No survey I guess.

Just noticed that for second hand items and gear its way to expensive when you factor in shipping.

Hughes 38

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
...Just noticed that for second hand items and gear its way to expensive when you factor in shipping.
I was never able to find any good buys specially used stuff on e-bay. I did find quite a bit at "the other forum" classifieds.
Shipping has to be USPS to avoid customs, and yes, it is costly. Since I have a US address, I group my purchases and take a drive to Niagara Falls once a while, but I guess that's way too far for you...
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2017
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
No survey I guess.

Just noticed that for second hand items and gear its way to expensive when you factor in shipping.
Yea, it seems to go in waves. You get some sellers that think there worn out winches and stuff are made from plated gold and are trying to make a business out of selling outdated junk, then you get someone who just wants to empty their shed and can't bare to throw it out. When you find the latter jump.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2017
HANUMAN

I sell lots of things on Ebay and Craig's. Ebay is so big now that it sets it's own market prices. Good deals go fast and most sellers don't use auctions anymore because of the risk of selling too low, and, people wanting to "buy it now".

Amazon and others have conditioned people to want the deal done and it shipped today, delivered ASAP.

So now I tend to sell large lots a few times a year when I can get the product at the right price. If priced right, they sell within 24 - 48 hours. If priced just a bit too high they tend to sit with no activity.

So now 'junk' sellers use free listing to list hundreds of items at or above retail pricing, most sit until a sucker comes along. It's like chumming, you put out lots of stinky bait hoping to catch a dumb fish.

I could break up my lots and sell at near retail prices and make MUCH more money. In fact, that is what those who buy my lots do. I sell a lot of items for 3K and make a quick 1K, the reseller makes another 1.5K or so but he doesn't have the same access to buy the product so he has to take what he can get. If I was patient and enjoyed printing shipping labels....

Selling is easy. Finding product is hard.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #7 of 7 Old 02-01-2017 Thread Starter

Exactly how I feel. Swimming in chum lol
Skipper Jer likes this.

Hughes 38

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in