Hobie Adventure Island? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

Hobie Adventure Island?

I live on a smallish lake and want a sailboat that I can take out for an hour or two by myself if there is some good wind, isn't likely to capsize, is easy to right if it does, and won't be a hassle to get in and out of the water and store each winter. The Hobie Adventure Island meets these criteria; and while it isn't available used, it is relatively cheap. Plus, it has the foot drive so I can hopefully get home if the wind dies.

But is it worthwhile? It is a goofy looking thing and I wonder if it is much like sailing. Does it point into the wind at all well? Any help would be appreciated.

I have asked a few more technical questions at the Hobie forum, but you know how that is; people dedicated to their boats love them no matter what they are, so I think this is more appropriate on a broader forum. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

Re: Hobie Adventure Island?

Sailed a tandem in a 10 kt breeze. fun and wet. does not point very well and peddling is faster up wind. on a reach it tends to sink the ama and is hard to steer with the ama sunk. down wind it is great. all in all it was fun but i will stick with my Laser or Prindle when we want to be wet sailing. we also have a Hobie Mirage tandem Kayak which is a lot of fun . I would say if you want a fun kayak that sails down wind they are a lot of fun.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 12 Old 02-15-2017
Land lubber

I don't know. I bought my wife a Hobie Mirage though and she has mentioned that sailing kit for it. If you do buy, let us know how it is!

post #4 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

The tandem islander has its own class in the Everglades Challenge (300nm unsupported race thru the Everglades and offshore). Dealing with a blow on a small lake isn't a big deal. Worst case you point it down wind, beach it somewhere and walk home until it moderates a bit.

If it's just a mess around boat I would probably steal you to a Hobie 16 instead though. They are everywhere, cheap enough to just bog patch if it breaks, and there's is a lot of good support online.

Greg
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

I found a Hobie Holder 14 last fall for $800 with newish sails and a trailer for $800. It sails very well and is pretty easy to launch and recover. Paddling is not so easy so I am going to stick a small trolling motor (electric) on the back for easing into and away from the dock.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2017
Master Mariner

Two of the most fun boats I've ever sailed are the original Hobie cat 14 & 16. If you are primarily sailing alone, then the 14 is perfect. If there are going to be two of you then the 16 with the jib is the ticket. Light, easy to launch, etc.
Both will capsize, but can easily be righted. Fast and fun boats, probably available fairly cheap, used. What's really fun is that both these boats sail backwards fairly well, with a bit of practice: it's really cool backing into a slip under sail.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

The Hobie AI looks like great fun for exploring, but I'm not sure it would stay interesting on a small lake.

If you want something that keeps putting a smile on your face, get a Hobie 14, 16 or a Prindle.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

A step up from the tandem AI would be a Windrider 17.
You lose some easy, light portability but gain much, imo, and could be ideal for lake hopping.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2017

I own one. It's a 2007 model, (first year).

I'd be open to selling it as I spend most of my time on my keelboat now. I've always wanted to take it around Ontario and launch it on some smaller lakes, but I have never got around to it

I have a video somewhere sailing along with a flock of birds near a rocky point. Some landed next to me like I was their.... It was surreal. And that's where it shines, calm waters near shore. It's a silent mover.

I have taken it out in 25 knots and while it was fun downwind, there was no way I was going to sail it back to my launch point - thankfully I got a lift back up the beach. That is to say that it does not point well.

And it is wet, wet, wet in those conditions.

In 10 knots it is a joy in protected waters. In any sort of chop - it becomes frustrating as the waves kill speed.

I have maxed out at 9 knots. 5 is average.

The mirage drive is fantastic.

It will not capsize in 25 knots, but the ama will bury.

The newer models are much better than mine - dryer seat, better sail, larger ama's, bigger rudder - so they will point much better.

They are very durable. I do not treat mine well.

Assembly on mine takes about 20 minutes - the newer ones are better. But heavier.

It's 16 feet long, so it's a bit of pain to transport.

It draws a crowd wherever it goes.

Storage is a bit whacky.

You can furl the sail and drop the mast en-route in 20 seconds to get under a 10 foot bridge - this impresses bystanders.

When you unfurl the sail and get moving you will think it's the most amazing thing in the world. You are sitting in a chair 2 inches above the water. And then you hit a wave and get wet.
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenSnapz002.jpg   ScreenSnapz003.jpg   ScreenSnapz004.jpg   ScreenSnapz005.jpg  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Two of the most fun boats I've ever sailed are the original Hobie cat 14 & 16. If you are primarily sailing alone, then the 14 is perfect. If there are going to be two of you then the 16 with the jib is the ticket. Light, easy to launch, etc.
Both will capsize, but can easily be righted. Fast and fun boats, probably available fairly cheap, used. What's really fun is that both these boats sail backwards fairly well, with a bit of practice: it's really cool backing into a slip under sail.
I had a 16 on the beach in front of my house in Ocean City , NJ for 18 years. I have love and love my 2 keelboats. The hobie 16 was the most fun I have ever had sailing and is good to learn sail trim as it has a jib and main. In 20 knots of wind I could tow my 4'11 99 lb daughter Behind it on skis.
capta and seabeau like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in