Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 03-15-2018

Re: Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers?

I had a bad experience with a PopYacht broker. I will never even look at one of their listings again.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleemus For This Useful Post:
Chautausun (04-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 03-15-2018
1968 Columbia 50

One question for you all who have recently dealt with POP Yachts.

When I was looking 2+ years ago it seemed to me that they were claim jumping for sale listings. As in they were listing boats for sale that were not actually listed with them...in an effort to get you to work with them to buy a boat. Have any of you come across this??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
Chautausun (04-26-2019)
post #13 of 31 Old 03-15-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

d0n-
"you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me "
I expect that is just one more example of a company (in this case, the parent company itself) trying to monetize everything, gathering up your demographics to sell them. Someone is willing to pay them for every "potential boat buyer" they can name, and when you sign up...you've been datamined. So, step right up and join the game, send the emails to your favorite local FCC chairperson or other deserving entity. Heck, its only karma, right?(G)

They seem like an "MLS" for people who want to be self-employed boat brokers. You find a boat someone is selling, copy it to your PY account...and if you're lucky, get a split. Or something to some similar effect, from what I've seen. And just like real estate brokers (who aren't "Realtorsģ") hey, if the broker is on their toes...all the same to the buyer, right?

post #14 of 31 Old 03-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I expect that is just one more example of a company... gathering up your demographics to sell them.
Yeah, I think you're right. It does seem that their business plan has more to do with collecting e-mail addresses than it does with selling boats.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-16-2018
1979 Morgan Out Island 41

I contacted them a couple years back about a boat and had a good experience with the broker I dealt with. Did not get past the offer stage.

They use a marketing automation system for ongoing marketing (which I don't see a lot of in this industry) which is the reason for the quicker push to collect an email address (my opinion from looking from the outside in).

I got the feeling they are more of an "association" type of arrangement selling leads to various brokers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 31 Old 04-25-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I don't think I'd call Popyachts itself a "scam".
They are more like the real estate MLS, or Amazon, ebay, Alibaba, and every eastern bazaar. It seems pretty much that anyone can sign up, use the Popyachts "umbrella", and then proceed to try posting and selling pretty much anything--without being bothered by things like having or needing a broker's license or other professional oversight.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I don't think I'd call Popyachts itself a "scam".
They are more like the real estate MLS, or Amazon, ebay, Alibaba, and every eastern bazaar. It seems pretty much that anyone can sign up, use the Popyachts "umbrella", and then proceed to try posting and selling pretty much anything--without being bothered by things like having or needing a broker's license or other professional oversight.
No, nothing like an MLS. Yachtworld is the MLS and Popyachts was banned from there. So the answer to the original question is a resounding "YES!!". They supposedly had a boat in Maine for sale, broker was in FL. This was a couple years ago. They kept harvesting and harvesting my info. But would never tell me where the boat was. Supposedly in "Saco, ME." It was a lie. Too good to be true. They steal Craigslist photos and post them themselves, then approach the seller and try to get a commission. They charge fees to buyers, etc., etc. Absolutely no ethics. Now there's a new one that comes after you through Craigslist offering "free FSBO postings," then torments you by phone until you pay them $300.00. I offered to provide the guy's number to the Maine Attorney General's office and never heard from him again.
JimMcGee and Chautausun like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VIEXILE For This Useful Post:
Chautausun (04-26-2019), JimMcGee (04-26-2019)
post #18 of 31 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
My complaint is that you have to register before you can even look at all of the photos. I'm a potential buyer and you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me what you have for sale!?! Give me a break!!! That's just stupid.
I couldn't agree more and I've been seeing realtors do this as well.

I usually just make something up, and if I think I'll be back more than once I save it.

I just did this for popyachts.com

Last Name: Private
Email: [email protected]

FWIW, I looked at a couple of models I'm familiar with and found their prices ranged from high to "are you high?"

I also noticed several of the boats I looked at had their names and home ports blurred out. I don't think I've ever seen that in a boat listing before.

It doesn't exactly give you a warm and fuzzy.
Chautausun likes this.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
Chautausun (04-26-2019)
post #19 of 31 Old 04-26-2019

POPYACHTS is a scam. Here is what I think they do. They look for boats on Craigslist and ebay and contact the seller and get them to agree
to have them represent their boat. They then mark up the original seller price 2X and then make a really flashy ad on Ebay and
Craigslist hoping to get you to over pay for the boat. How do I know this? I had been watching a boat in the Pittsburgh area.
It had been listed for a long time on craigslist locally. This ad stood out because the seller was listing it as a Chris Craft Baja.
Two manufacturers that were never related. The boat was also a wreck and had been sitting out for a long time. One day
while looking at local ebay ads I saw the same boat and same pics listed by POPYACHTS. The ad was glowing and
misrepresented the actual condition of the boat. I contacted the POPYACHTS broker regarding the boat. They got
back to me. When I said why was the boat listed locally for a price that was half of what they were listing it for. He
then became angry with the question and said owners can list them locally for what they want. So I am not actually sure if
the local owner was even aware that their boat was listed on ebay. I suspect not. I would say, if you are consider a boat listed
by POPYACHTS to search for the boat locally and do the deal with the owner and cut out mark up of the middle man. Pretty sleazy company
in my opinion. I suspect any positive reviews are made up by the company. I would avoid.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-27-2019

Every time an add for a POP yachts boat comes up there is an add for Seatow on the page. what is that telling you.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in