7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 04-27-2019

Tells me seatow buys promotion ads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 04-27-2019

Re: Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers?

Ya. you are going to buy adds where your customers are, tells me they get a lot of business from POP 's customers

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #23 of 31 Old 04-27-2019

Brokers or scammers?

Maybe a little of both.

I really hate to give up my information, or have to speak with a broker, just to look at photos of a boat online.

post #24 of 31 Old 04-27-2019

Free 1 yr seatow low level membership
post #25 of 31 Old 04-28-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

It could also be that the self-employed "local representatives" were scamming both the owners AND Popyachts by putting the boat on ebay without the knowledge of either.

Popyachts makes it clear that they are only going to take a 10% commission. But like the Uber drivers who rudely embarrass Uber...the contractors might be up to anything else.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I usually just make something up, and if I think I'll be back more than once I save it. I just did this for popyachts.com
I have done that a couple of times in the past, but have decided that it is not worth the time. If they are so incredibly stupid as to think this is a good business model, then I really don't want to try to do business with them.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-29-2019

Curiously, I just got an email from a Pop Yachts scammer broker in Bradenton, and the boat is on Craigslist in Maine. Wanted to get my phone number so he could "call and explain the process." Said he wanted to market the boat and charge any fees to the buyer. So, Shane, the answer is a resounding "NO." There's a reason (I told him) Pop Yachts is banned from Yachtworld. I also warned him if he ripped and represented my photos in any way, I'd be calling both the Maine and Florida Attorney General's offices.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-29-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

It might be worth contacting Popyachts about this guy. THEY may not want to be affiliated with him either.

Their basic concept, to have a wide listing service other than YW, and to provide "local brokers" to make it different from just a laundry list, isn't so crazy. But if they are not vetting the "local brokers"... Well, even Youtube has been having problems cancelling pedophile accounts, and Amazon can't seem to get rid of the counterfeiters.

Scams appear wherever there's money to be stolen. Ergh, made.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It might be worth contacting Popyachts about this guy. THEY may not want to be affiliated with him either.

Their basic concept, to have a wide listing service other than YW, and to provide "local brokers" to make it different from just a laundry list, isn't so crazy. But if they are not vetting the "local brokers"... Well, even Youtube has been having problems cancelling pedophile accounts, and Amazon can't seem to get rid of the counterfeiters.

Scams appear wherever there's money to be stolen. Ergh, made.
No to contacting Pop Yachts about anyone. The business model is the problem. They rip photos off FSBO's, then try to claim a commission. They got booted from YW for a reason. I mean, how BAD do you have to be to get kicked out of the only multiple listing service for yacht brokerage in the U.S.?
post #30 of 31 Old 04-29-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I don't know why (or for sure if) YW kicked them off, but since the Popyachts operation would seem to be a competitor to YW, not just a simple brokerage, that in itself would be reason to kick them off regardless to any questions of misbehavior.

Very few businesses, including hobby web forums that depends on viewers and advertisers, allow competitors to set up camp on them. If PY is doing all that you say they are, a complaint with the FTC might get them shut down. Ripping off other people's photos and "trying to claim a commission" when there was no prior arrangement would violate numerous laws and probably qualify for prosecution under RICO as well. Which would make them a great target for any federal agency, assuming that's what has been going on.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in