Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-04-2017 Thread Starter
cdy

Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers?

I see their listings plastered all over Ebay and at times on CL - the boats tend to be older and all are overpriced for the Florida market - in the body of each ad is a come on for people to join their brokerage to sell boats - pretty tacky .

Just curious if anyone has bought or sold a boat through them ?- they do at least provide lots of pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-04-2017

Re: Pop Yachts - brokers or scammers?

I bought one thru them, out of state, and it was a good experience.
No games, straight forward.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-11-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I recently inquired about a boat that POP Yachts represented. The broker that contacted me had the customer skills one would usually stereotype with a used-car salesman.

In general, the broker did several things to piss-me-off. I told him that my interest in this boat or any other boat that POP Yachts represent is gone. I will not deal with them again.
Bleemus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.

post #4 of 31 Old 03-11-2018

I looked at one they had listed. Broker was friendly and helpful. I ended up not purchasing the boat but I had no issues with POP Yachts
I'm guessing the experience varies from broker to broker.

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #5 of 31 Old 03-14-2018

My complaint is that you have to register before you can even look at all of the photos. I'm a potential buyer and you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me what you have for sale!?! Give me a break!!! That's just stupid.

Imagine how long Walmart would have stayed in business if, when he opened the first one, Sam Walton had stood at the door with a clipboard and said, "You can't come in and look around until you let me collect some information about you." Sadly, PopYachts is not the only one that does this sort of thing. It just amazes me that there are business people out there who are so completely brain-dead that they think -- just because it's the internet -- it is okay to throw roadblocks in front of potential customers who want to get some information.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-14-2018

You mean like. Mmm. Costco. ......

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towguy View Post
You mean like. Mmm. Costco. ......
No. Not like Costco. Unless they've changed their policy in the last few years, Costco will let you come in and look around without joining. You can check prices, browse through the whole store, and so on. Only when you decide that you want to buy something are you then required to join.

If PopYachts followed that sort of policy I would have no complaints. But PopYachts won't let you browse around -- they won't let you see the pictures of the boats they have -- until you register. That is stupid. Just plain STOOOPID!
post #8 of 31 Old 03-14-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I believe that each POP Yachts broker has the latitude to set their own policies for dealing with customers. Many salespeople feel that you have entered a series of transactions and negotiations from the minute that they pick up the phone; I'll do something for you only if you do something for me. I used to be in sales training, and I recognize the behavior.

Before I made a 5-hour car trip to see a boat, I asked the POP Yachts broker for the HIN of the vessel I was interested in. He flatly refused, explaining that he thought that I would use it to identify the seller, and cut him out of his commission. He stated that he would provide the HIN and answers to other questions that I had after I signed a contract to buy the boat. I found this unacceptable and lost interest in dealing with either him or POP Yachts.

Shortly thereafter I was contacted by another POP Yachts broker who sent me a link to where I could get a free copy of a "Carfax for boats" that had been done on that vessel. I never looked at it, because I had moved on.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-14-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
......explaining that he thought that I would use it to identify the seller, and cut him out of his commission.......
That does sound fishy. Typically, a sales contract is going to pay the broker anyway. I suppose it is possible the seller carved out anyone they source themselves. However, most brokers won't accept that term, as they are competing against their own client. Bad business.

Nevertheless, why was the HIN important to you, before you saw the boat?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-15-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Nevertheless, why was the HIN important to you, before you saw the boat?
The broker should have asked this exact question instead of refusing to tell me until the boat was under contract. A good broker should help you to find and buy the right boat, not play games.

Here is why I wanted the HIN; a friend used to work for this manufacturer, and he owned a sistership. I recalled him telling me that there had been a manufacturing issue with the bonding of the stringers of his boat. When I told him that I was interested in looking at this boat, he explained that the issue affected the first 34 boats off the line, and was addressed by a manufacturer recall. The HIN would identify if this hull was affected by the recall.

There were a couple of other things that rubbed me the wrong way about this guy, but this issue was enough. I told him that I was no longer interested in this boat. The broker responded to that with a snippy email.

What the broker did not seem to realize is that I was able to track down the owner's name, and the HIN, from the name and home port of the boat which was clearly visible in the pictures posted to eBay.
ottos and Minnewaska like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in