Why do you love to sail? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 Old 03-08-2017
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Why do you love to sail?

I'd like to stop flapping my mouth about what makes sailing so great and actually go fscking sailing.
This forecast is just not getting it done.

My boat and I both put on weight in the winter from sitting inert. I eat and the boat gets packed full of gadgets, plumbing and wiring that I install because I'm so damned bored.
Attached Thumbnails
March.jpg  

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 03-08-2017

I did not grow up around sailboats. There's not much of a sailing culture in North Dakota. Just some Sunfish at summer camp.

I first got on a keelboat in the fall of 2009. A Catalina 34. I still remember the moment when we turned off the diesel and boat kept going, magic! It was just a three-day trip, and everything about it was a memory.

I had just paid for a large wedding and a small house. The recession hit and I took a significant pay cut. I felt I couldn't afford a new, expensive hobby, so I actively discouraged myself from thinking about it. But every fall I went on that three-day trip, and every year the feeling built a little bit…

Finally in 2013 I snapped. Took lessons. Joined a sailing club. Bought a 22' boat. Started chartering on my own.

It's still magic every time I turn the motor off and the boat keeps moving.
SanderO, TomMaine, amwbox and 1 others like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #33 of 60 Old 03-08-2017
Master Mariner

Love to sail? Um, let me think about that.
I love being on the water. Sail boat, motor boat, fishing boat, tug or freighter. No matter, as long as I'm out here and not in some city or suburb living the 9 to 5 grind, day after day. No white picket fence, minivan and soccer practice for this guy. Nor does the idea of some assisted living facility for the elderly ring my bell.
I really enjoy sailing on a nice day when everything is going well and there's no strain on the gear or us. It's not like I need to prove to myself, or anyone else, that I can handle the worst weather: been there, done that, innumerable times! But pushing a boat and crew to their limits, no, not so much. However, those days are the price I must pay for the incredible days when the she's sailing in the groove, the dolphins are frolicking around the boat and dinner is offered by Neptune.
Sailing is a means to an end for me, at this stage of my life, after over 50 years of traveling the seas. I certainly wouldn't blow off the thousand dollar helm chair, my coffee close at hand on the dash and good tunes flooding the air conditioned/heated wheelhouse of a stabilized motor boat. Oh well, I guess it's good to still have dreams at 70.
By the way, it's been gusting upwards of 25 knots for the last few days with the only change in sight an increase in the wind. This will mean a long, hard bash to Carriacou late this week to pick up our next charter. Christmas winds in March!
Yeah Yeah, I know. Officially our new government maintains that climate change is a Chinese plot to stifle American commerce, but does that mean we down here in the West Indies must suffer the plot too?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.

post #34 of 60 Old 03-08-2017

Sailing, like opinions on fixing a boat, are all over the chart.
It's not for everyone....
Sailors worry before it breaks or leaks, before they happen.
Sailors or yachtsmen are detail orientated - tidy people.
The land has filled up with "good for nothing -prima donnas and slobs..."
I sail to get away from their so called music and culture centered on their reproduction -self promoting party on subsidies attitude.
Jerks who jabber like chimps with no other purpose than to gloat over a full belly and an armchair in front of Hollywood. They cannot cook, build, craft or improve. All they can fix is another drink.
People are not meant to be on the water so it takes a lot just to get back to zero. You fix things all the time and have a sense of satisfaction getting a boat tuned in and up to speed. When that is done you relax knowing you arrived.
If you can sail and maintain the systems you aren't a dull witted cheese ball. You have moxie and are interesting, independent and open to ideas and stories. Not these self absorbed, recluses who run away from life trying to get unreal, disconnected and remote, (just like me...).
I feel sorry for landlubbers who may never know the joys of a lightning strike near by and how the hair stands on end.
How you get the sails up to find the wind died and now the engine is making a clanking sound that is worsening...
The calm you feel when A coasty checks out your toilet and you have it all under control till they ask if that oil sheen on the water belongs to you.
The casual entry into a marina with a narrow midway -when millions of dollars in boats rest inches away on either side while the current and wind screams in both ears...
But sailing just don't get better than when 60 foot waves are 6 seconds apart and a wounded whale is seeking refuge from a pack of starving sharks who don't know they are knocking holes in your boat.
But not to worry, the other boats coming to your rescue are already towing you when you find out they are actually pirates and now have your wife hostage on the bow.
Who wouldn't love sailing -I ask?
seabeau and SailorMaggie like this.
post #35 of 60 Old 03-08-2017
69' Coronado 25

Dock

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing"- Kurt Leisenfelder (me)

I like knowing and not wondering, it brings to me tranquility and inner harmony.

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt Leisenfelder

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 60 Old 03-08-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

I love sailing for the absolute peace. Once the motor is shut off, there's nothing but the sound of the waves splashing against the hull and wind in the sail.

The saying "a bad day on the boat is better than a good day at work" is so true. Being on the water, stress just melts away and I am relaxed.

I love sailing because it's good for the soul.
SailorMaggie likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #37 of 60 Old 03-08-2017

"nuff said!"

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #38 of 60 Old 03-08-2017 Thread Starter

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better someone posts something even more awesome!

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Excerpt of Invictus
By William Ernest Henley
post #39 of 60 Old 03-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing"- Kurt Leisenfelder (me)

I like knowing and not wondering, it brings to me tranquility and inner harmony.
Sailors are among the most well rounded competent people I know.
@Faster ... WOW just WOW... if those pics don't motivate people... nothing will. Thank you for capturing sailing and cruising and sharing it here. Exceptionally well done!

Last edited by SanderO; 03-08-2017 at 10:11 PM.
post #40 of 60 Old 03-09-2017
Full time cruiser

To us it is simply a way of life and to see what is over the horizon, period. We have been out going on 10 years and if the wind blows great if not so what - we almost never do a day sail anymore as when season comes we sail and move a lot - last year 2,650nm and over 40 ports of call in 6 countries. In all we probably have over 35knm and something like 40 countries and hundreds if not thousands of ports of call.
It is a reasonably inexpensive way of life and allows you to visit places few go and meet people from all over the world. And when pulling into a foreign port and some fisherman ties you up and finds out where you are from there is instant respect and bonding as if a family member just came home.

simply a different way of life that has joys beyond imagination.
MikeOReilly and SailorMaggie like this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in