SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What Cheeses Me Off! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/278049-what-cheeses-me-off.html)

mbianka 03-09-2017 09:28 PM

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 3848025)
All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

:frown:boat ::frown:boat ::frown:boat :

Hmmmm sounds like you are ready for a trawler. :)

neeqness 03-09-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 3848337)
Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.

...and who said mother nature doesn't have a sense of humor?

Very funny thread...I'm still chuckling. ..

troy2000 03-10-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 3849377)
Geez,I thought Basil Haydens's was some kinda new knot I needed to know. Guess I need to get out more.

It's actually pretty good booze. But it's basically whiskey for people who don't like whiskey... :D [ducks as the empty bottles start flying...]

capta 03-10-2017 12:35 AM

We've got a couple of those slapping lines on our spin pole, when the wind gets up. I keep threatening to de-rig it but when I do I know the winds will shift so I'll need it, so I don't.
It's a tough life we lead, ain't it Mark? All those northern folks tucked up all cozy on their bearskin rugs before the fireplace have no idea, do they?

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 06:16 AM

There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

The "unicorn slap, which shouldn't be happening"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?

Don0190 03-10-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849633)
There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?

all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849633)
...If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 3849673)
all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.

If it should/could have been silenced, I agree. However, as Mark is experiencing, there are other kinds....

Quote:

Some are a freak of nature. Sometimes, the wind gets in the furling slot in just the right way that it vibrates the internal mast furling halyard. It's not going to get any tighter and you can't reach it. While tongue in cheek, it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.

willyd 03-10-2017 08:21 AM

Wait, we're falling for it, the old "slatting halyard" ruse, meant to distract us from talking about...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4d6926ab31.jpg

ianjoub 03-10-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849729)
If it should/could have been silenced, I agree.

it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.

Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjoub (Post 3849753)
Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.

To be clear, I'm saying that leaving halyards to slap, while you're away, that could easily be secured and silenced is grossly inconsiderate and annoying. Our marina has the right, in the lease, to board your boat and correct it. However, there are some noises, such as the odd internal halyard, due to a unique wind angle, that just can't be practically avoided and aren't culpable.

It's really about commonly accepted courtesy, not individual tolerance. Then again, I think this thread was intended to be a little more fun than a debate.