What Cheeses Me Off! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old 03-09-2017

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

Hmmmm sounds like you are ready for a trawler.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 03-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.
...and who said mother nature doesn't have a sense of humor?

Very funny thread...I'm still chuckling. ..
post #23 of 51 Old 03-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Geez,I thought Basil Haydens's was some kinda new knot I needed to know. Guess I need to get out more.
It's actually pretty good booze. But it's basically whiskey for people who don't like whiskey... [ducks as the empty bottles start flying...]

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

post #24 of 51 Old 03-10-2017
Master Mariner

We've got a couple of those slapping lines on our spin pole, when the wind gets up. I keep threatening to de-rig it but when I do I know the winds will shift so I'll need it, so I don't.
It's a tough life we lead, ain't it Mark? All those northern folks tucked up all cozy on their bearskin rugs before the fireplace have no idea, do they?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 51 Old 03-10-2017

There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

The "unicorn slap, which shouldn't be happening"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?
bigdogandy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 51 Old 03-10-2017
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?
all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #27 of 51 Old 03-10-2017

Quote:
...If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.
If it should/could have been silenced, I agree. However, as Mark is experiencing, there are other kinds....

Quote:
Some are a freak of nature. Sometimes, the wind gets in the furling slot in just the right way that it vibrates the internal mast furling halyard. It's not going to get any tighter and you can't reach it. While tongue in cheek, it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 51 Old 03-10-2017
美國佬

Wait, we're falling for it, the old "slatting halyard" ruse, meant to distract us from talking about...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4d6926ab31.jpg
Minnesail likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 03-10-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #29 of 51 Old 03-10-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
If it should/could have been silenced, I agree.

it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.
Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.
post #30 of 51 Old 03-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.
To be clear, I'm saying that leaving halyards to slap, while you're away, that could easily be secured and silenced is grossly inconsiderate and annoying. Our marina has the right, in the lease, to board your boat and correct it. However, there are some noises, such as the odd internal halyard, due to a unique wind angle, that just can't be practically avoided and aren't culpable.

It's really about commonly accepted courtesy, not individual tolerance. Then again, I think this thread was intended to be a little more fun than a debate.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in