SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What Cheeses Me Off! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/278049-what-cheeses-me-off.html)

amwbox 03-10-2017 10:52 AM

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

Noise is funny. Some people make a lot of noise, and don't think anything of it. They walk around banging and clanking things, loudly exclaiming verbally and with simple noises about every little thing that enters their field of vision. They stomp up and down stairs. They belly laugh like Klingons. Or maybe they are constantly whistling or singing or just talking to themselves. Maybe they blast their car stereo loudly and roll around town thumping rudely to everyone within a 200 yard radius. Some others work hard to make as little noise as possible out of consideration because other peoples' noise is absolutely infuriating and they don't want to be a noise polluter. I sleep with ear plugs jammed in my head and noise cancelling headphones with a white noise track at moderate volume over the top of the earplugs, in an often futile attempt to block out the godawful noise pollution the inconsiderate constantly generate.

Am I a prematurely grumpy curmudgeon when it comes to noise, particularly noise like a halyard slap that can be so easily corrected? You bet your ass. I'd have to sail to sail for days if not weeks to find peace and quiet. The very best thing about the sea is the complete lack of leafblowers and subwoofer cars.

Stay off my lawn. :D

capta 03-10-2017 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my solution for slapping halyards. Bring the snap shackle to a point on deck and the bitter end through it. Take the bitter end back up and clove hitch it to both, then split the two lines with the bitter end below and above the clove hitch. Never had it loosen even slightly in hurricane force winds.

troy2000 03-10-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amwbox (Post 3850025)
Noise is funny. Some people make a lot of noise, and don't think anything of it. They walk around banging and clanking things, loudly exclaiming verbally and with simple noises about every little thing that enters their field of vision. They stomp up and down stairs. They belly laugh like Klingons. Or maybe they are constantly whistling or singing or just talking to themselves. Maybe they blast their car stereo loudly and roll around town thumping rudely to everyone within a 200 yard radius. Some others work hard to make as little noise as possible out of consideration because other peoples' noise is absolutely infuriating and they don't want to be a noise polluter. I sleep with ear plugs jammed in my head and noise cancelling headphones with a white noise track at moderate volume over the top of the earplugs, in an often futile attempt to block out the godawful noise pollution the inconsiderate constantly generate.

Am I a prematurely grumpy curmudgeon when it comes to noise, particularly noise like a halyard slap that can be so easily corrected? You bet your ass. I'd have to sail to sail for days if not weeks to find peace and quiet. The very best thing about the sea is the complete lack of leafblowers and subwoofer cars.

Stay off my lawn. :D

Some people can't handle silence. I've had them get absolutely twitchy in my pickup before, when I refuse to turn on the radio or slap a disc in...

nolatom 03-10-2017 12:19 PM

I blame (clanging) aluminum spars. Spruce gave a nice woody sound.

Okay, I'm getting kinda old...

ianjoub 03-10-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849793)
It's really about commonly accepted courtesy, not individual tolerance. Then again, I think this thread was intended to be a little more fun than a debate.

Yes, I am reading it that way. I was just sharing my take on it that it would never have occurred to me that a slapping halyard would irritate someone else THIS MUCH.

Zanshin 03-10-2017 04:29 PM

I'm in the same aggravated trades as Mark is in right now (about 500 yards upwind of him), and my problem isn't the halyards since I've got those wrapped tight. My problem is the da**ed wheel lock. When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to overcome the wheel lock and it SQUEELS for about 5 seconds and wakes me up. I'm lazier than Mark since instead of getting up, removing the wheel cover and tying the wheel to something with a piece of line, I just pretend that there won't be any more gusts that strong and I can just shut my eyes again. I was only wrong 10-15 times last night, and there's still no line attached to the wheel :)

travlin-easy 03-10-2017 04:34 PM

:)

Donna_F 03-10-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 3850657)
I'm in the same aggravated trades as Mark is in right now (about 500 yards upwind of him), and my problem isn't the halyards since I've got those wrapped tight. My problem is the da**ed wheel lock. When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to overcome the wheel lock and it SQUEELS for about 5 seconds and wakes me up. I'm lazier than Mark since instead of getting up, removing the wheel cover and tying the wheel to something with a piece of line, I just pretend that there won't be any more gusts that strong and I can just shut my eyes again. I was only wrong 10-15 times last night, and there's still no line attached to the wheel :)

Hi stranger!

capta 03-10-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 3850657)
When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to :)

Have you considered the stress on your steering system of having the wheel slam from lock to lock with that much force?
I will do anything to stop my wheel from spinning. Most of the time the wheel lock will do the trick, but if not then the helm is tied securely, but simply.

capta 03-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 3850321)
I blame (clanging) aluminum spars. Spruce gave a nice woody sound.

Okay, I'm getting kinda old...

I was the one who had to keep those varnished spars varnished. Do you honestly think I would ALLOW a halyard to slap my mast for even a millisecond? Heck, I kept trying to find a way to keep the wind from blowing on them when not sailing.
A bit of anodizing on the other hand, well OK, for a few slaps or so.