SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What Cheeses Me Off! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/278049-what-cheeses-me-off.html)

RegisteredUser 03-10-2017 05:39 PM

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

When the person who invented rap music passes away...I will hold my own private party.

Minnesail 03-10-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 3850745)
When the person who invented rap music passes away...I will hold my own private party.

Biggie passed away 20 years ago yesterday.

The Notorious B.I.G.

travlin-easy 03-10-2017 06:51 PM

RAP is NOT music, at least from my perspective as a retired musician/singer/entertainer. But, I'm old, so what the Hell do I know? ;)

Gary :cool:

RegisteredUser 03-10-2017 07:42 PM

Noise...

When I was a kid I rode 2-cycle bikes and loved the...noise.
Same with chainsaws.
Did concerts where ear drums were never a concern.
I'm guessing mid 40s or so I stopped liking 'noise'...just for the sake of noise.
But even now, a hot V8 on steroids sings like sex and I do get off on that.
Slapping halyards are background noise...until it gets to be too much, and then you donate a bungee....

Our sensitivities change, I guess.

Minnesail 03-10-2017 08:13 PM

I'm off to a rap show right now.

As Jaylah said in Star Trek, "I like the beats and shouting."

Towguy 03-11-2017 01:50 PM

This is funny thread,as I have just spent a week on a boat in a marina...the first night was windy of course and...everyone on the boat kept mention the constant tapping of halyards,creaking of wheels and such..it would change as the wind shifted we all didn't sleep all tat well the first night but by the end ,we had at least ours tucked away nicely every night and no one even mentioned it at all,it became all part of the harbour sounds......Ralph

Zanshin 03-11-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 3850705)
Have you considered the stress on your steering system of having the wheel slam from lock to lock with that much force?
I will do anything to stop my wheel from spinning. Most of the time the wheel lock will do the trick, but if not then the helm is tied securely, but simply.

Ummm, I said that there was a squeel from the wheel brake which is not the same as a "slam". It moved slowly. As I mentioned, the wheel lock was overpowered and I was just too sleepy to get up and tie a line. If it were actually slamming I would have acted.

outbound 03-12-2017 10:26 AM

Have sissy bars halyards go there except main which goes to guard on dorade. Problem is in strong winds we've had recently allowing no east movement down here they will occasionally slap inside the mast. Can decrease by making them very tight ( light turn with a winch) or surprisingly a bit loose. Still line to expand cf spin pole will slap. So take a sail tie and pull it away form pole. Other noise comes from boom and gooseneck. Get rid of it by tying sail tie to mainsheet block on boom. Then to grabrail on hard dodger. Then pull tight with traveler.

For other peoples halyards would like to use a knife or tie them off with granny knots. Haven't got there yet but time will come. Have identified boat's playing rap at 2 am. Have run the dinghy around them a few times at 6am before leaving anchorage once.

troy2000 03-12-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 3852201)
Have sissy bars halyards go there except main which goes to guard on dorade. Problem is in strong winds we've had recently allowing no east movement down here they will occasionally slap inside the mast. Can decrease by making them very tight ( light turn with a winch) or surprisingly a bit loose. Still line to expand cf spin pole will slap. So take a sail tie and pull it away form pole. Other noise comes from boom and gooseneck. Get rid of it by tying sail tie to mainsheet block on boom. Then to grabrail on hard dodger. Then pull tight with traveler.

For other peoples halyards would like to use a knife or tie them off with granny knots. Haven't got there yet but time will come. Have identified boat's playing rap at 2 am. Have run the dinghy around them a few times at 6am before leaving anchorage once.

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who's awakened at 3 AM by a phone call from his neighbor, telling him to shut his [email protected]#ing dog up. Next night he calls the neighbor back at 3 AM to tell him, "I don't own a [email protected]#ing dog."

Rocky Mountain Breeze 03-13-2017 10:52 PM

When Mark was being annoyed by his own boat I was sound asleep but awoken by a phone call from the Colorado State University Veterinary Science Department because they had a cryogenic freezer down at midnight. I had to get out of bed, drive 12 miles, and troubleshoot a 20 year old freezer designed to operate at -80 which had caused a breaker to trip. Turns out it was a bad breaker. My heart bleeds for those of you who have to undergo such a rough existence. Just think how much easier it would be if you worked for a living or were subsistence farming.........