SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What Cheeses Me Off! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/278049-what-cheeses-me-off.html)

MarkofSeaLife 03-09-2017 08:55 AM

What Cheeses Me Off!

All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

:frown:boat ::frown:boat ::frown:boat :

Lazerbrains 03-09-2017 09:31 AM

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

Bungee cords are your friend, don't be scared to use them.

Donna_F 03-09-2017 09:43 AM

Ambien and Basil Hayden's.

ianjoub 03-09-2017 09:46 AM

I like to leave a couple loose just to cheese off the OCD folks :D

capecodda 03-09-2017 10:02 AM

Mark,

I'm about to make a run out to buy gas for the snow blower. Maybe that will calm you down :).

Skipper Jer 03-09-2017 10:23 AM

Flip the halyards around the spreaders. Always works on me boat.

aeventyr60 03-09-2017 10:40 AM

Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.

krisscross 03-09-2017 10:59 AM

Ear plugs work great for me. Especially when that pesky halyard is not on my boat.

willyd 03-09-2017 11:51 AM

Using a spare halyard, run the ship's bell about 1/3 of the way up the mast and secure it there. The clanging will drown out any ambient halyard slap.

MarkofSeaLife 03-09-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyd (Post 3848441)
Using a spare halyard, run the ship's bell about 1/3 of the way up the mast and secure it there. The clanging will drown out any ambient halyard slap.

That's the best idea so far!!

I will note that now its daytime the wind has dropped to just below smack velocity. :eek