SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What Cheeses Me Off! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/278049-what-cheeses-me-off.html)

MarkofSeaLife 03-09-2017 08:55 AM

What Cheeses Me Off!

All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

So I go on deck to secure the errant halyard but by then its stopped.

So I stand below the hatch, torch in hand but it won't slap!

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

:frown:boat ::frown:boat ::frown:boat :

Lazerbrains 03-09-2017 09:31 AM

Re: What Cheeses Me Off!

Bungee cords are your friend, don't be scared to use them.

Donna_F 03-09-2017 09:43 AM

Ambien and Basil Hayden's.

ianjoub 03-09-2017 09:46 AM

I like to leave a couple loose just to cheese off the OCD folks :D

capecodda 03-09-2017 10:02 AM

Mark,

I'm about to make a run out to buy gas for the snow blower. Maybe that will calm you down :).

Skipper Jer 03-09-2017 10:23 AM

Flip the halyards around the spreaders. Always works on me boat.

aeventyr60 03-09-2017 10:40 AM

Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.

krisscross 03-09-2017 10:59 AM

Ear plugs work great for me. Especially when that pesky halyard is not on my boat.

willyd 03-09-2017 11:51 AM

Using a spare halyard, run the ship's bell about 1/3 of the way up the mast and secure it there. The clanging will drown out any ambient halyard slap.

MarkofSeaLife 03-09-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyd (Post 3848441)
Using a spare halyard, run the ship's bell about 1/3 of the way up the mast and secure it there. The clanging will drown out any ambient halyard slap.

That's the best idea so far!!

I will note that now its daytime the wind has dropped to just below smack velocity. :eek

SVTatia 03-09-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 3848025)

So I go back to bed AND IT SLAPS!...

Mark, this has happened to me on a few occasions.
A dodger, a light jacket, half a bottle of whiskey, peanuts and music is my recipe. Why sleep? I just enjoy the silent windy night. By the time I finish the bottle I won't hear anything anyway.:cool:

Minnesail 03-09-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna_F (Post 3848161)
Ambien and Basil Hayden's.

And the next morning you discover that you've French-braided the jib sheets, stacked all the cabin cushions in the cockpit, and had a 45-minute conversation with a fishing boat on the VHF.

Tanski 03-09-2017 02:21 PM

Must be tough, I was up at 2am plowing and salting.

Don0190 03-09-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

If I have been there I would have helped you stop it!!!!!!!!

travlin-easy 03-09-2017 05:04 PM

I use heavy duty rubber bungees to keep those halyards quiet - works most of the time. Sometimes, when the wind is woofin along at 45 to 50, I use two bungees and a couple Margarettas. Better solution!

All the best,

Gary :cool:

troy2000 03-09-2017 05:46 PM

One of the more entertaining threads I've stumbled into lately, although I have nothing but sympathy for the OP with his accursed halyard.

But like Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden's is a little too smooth and civilized for my taste. When I drink bourbon, I want to know I have a glass of whiskey in my hand...

RegisteredUser 03-09-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlin-easy (Post 3849033)
I use heavy duty rubber bungees...

Yeah.
You can also buy rubber rope...the good stuff, and make up your own.
Those good rubber bungees are used by truckers with tarped loads at highway speeds.
UVs will kill cheap bungees in short time....literally turn to dust.

travlin-easy 03-09-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 3849217)
Yeah.
You can also buy rubber rope...the good stuff, and make up your own.
Those good rubber bungees are used by truckers with tarped loads at highway speeds.
UVs will kill cheap bungees in short time....literally turn to dust.

I agree. I use the ones the truckers use, and some have lasted me 4 years and still going strong.

SailingUphill 03-09-2017 08:05 PM

All I can say Mark is we must be kindred spirits... Sounds like something I'd do. If only I'd have those kind of problems though.

aeventyr60 03-09-2017 08:59 PM

Geez,I thought Basil Haydens's was some kinda new knot I needed to know. Guess I need to get out more.

mbianka 03-09-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

All last night...

So we have reinforced Trdae Winds 20/22 knots, occasionally gusting 25/26 knots and 'bullets' for 10 seconds.

So in every gust ONE halyard does 3 or 4 sharp slaps against the mast. Annoying me or waking me up.

AND YOU WONDER WHY SOME OF MY POSTS ARE AGGRESSIVE!!

:frown:boat ::frown:boat ::frown:boat :

Hmmmm sounds like you are ready for a trawler. :)

neeqness 03-09-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 3848337)
Yes, well If I think I'm in some kind of bomb proof anchorage and decide to pull all the halyards back from the mast and cleat off away from the mast a big squall, wx change will pop up and them i'm on the deck at o dark thirty doing the mexican two step combined with the Hawiian Hula to get everything back together while raising the anchor, dodging the boats that anchored too close and trying to fire open the plotter to make my way out to sea...give me some slapping halyards..or a pair of ear plugs.

...and who said mother nature doesn't have a sense of humor?

Very funny thread...I'm still chuckling. ..

troy2000 03-10-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 3849377)
Geez,I thought Basil Haydens's was some kinda new knot I needed to know. Guess I need to get out more.

It's actually pretty good booze. But it's basically whiskey for people who don't like whiskey... :D [ducks as the empty bottles start flying...]

capta 03-10-2017 12:35 AM

We've got a couple of those slapping lines on our spin pole, when the wind gets up. I keep threatening to de-rig it but when I do I know the winds will shift so I'll need it, so I don't.
It's a tough life we lead, ain't it Mark? All those northern folks tucked up all cozy on their bearskin rugs before the fireplace have no idea, do they?

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 06:16 AM

There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

The "unicorn slap, which shouldn't be happening"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?

Don0190 03-10-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849633)
There are as many types of halyard slaps as Eskimos have words for different types of snow.

There is the "you moron, you left the down halyard attached directly to the mast" slap.

There is the "internal up halyard slap"

The "relocated but too loose halyard slap"

The "tight as a drum, but in a bad place, slap"

and many, many more.

If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise. If there's nothing anyone can do about it, the sound seems sweeter and less annoying. Takes a real eskimo to hear the difference.

Want to get into gooseneck squeaking?

all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849633)
...If I (or you for that matter) should have done something obvious to stop it, it's a horrible grating noise......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 3849673)
all of those to the boaters around you = the slap in your face

I hate boats with lines slapping to no end and think the people who leave their lines installed and loose and then leave for the week, all so the lines will "be ready" on their return, are scum of the earth.

If it should/could have been silenced, I agree. However, as Mark is experiencing, there are other kinds....

Quote:

Some are a freak of nature. Sometimes, the wind gets in the furling slot in just the right way that it vibrates the internal mast furling halyard. It's not going to get any tighter and you can't reach it. While tongue in cheek, it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.

willyd 03-10-2017 08:21 AM

Wait, we're falling for it, the old "slatting halyard" ruse, meant to distract us from talking about...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4d6926ab31.jpg

ianjoub 03-10-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849729)
If it should/could have been silenced, I agree.

it does make a different noise from the inconsiderate boater you referred to.

Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.

Minnewaska 03-10-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianjoub (Post 3849753)
Having grown up on the water, I never found those types of noise offensive. In fact, it would seem odd to not have them. I certainly would not consider someone inconsiderate for not 'correcting' what you describe as a problem.

To be clear, I'm saying that leaving halyards to slap, while you're away, that could easily be secured and silenced is grossly inconsiderate and annoying. Our marina has the right, in the lease, to board your boat and correct it. However, there are some noises, such as the odd internal halyard, due to a unique wind angle, that just can't be practically avoided and aren't culpable.

It's really about commonly accepted courtesy, not individual tolerance. Then again, I think this thread was intended to be a little more fun than a debate.

amwbox 03-10-2017 10:52 AM

Noise is funny. Some people make a lot of noise, and don't think anything of it. They walk around banging and clanking things, loudly exclaiming verbally and with simple noises about every little thing that enters their field of vision. They stomp up and down stairs. They belly laugh like Klingons. Or maybe they are constantly whistling or singing or just talking to themselves. Maybe they blast their car stereo loudly and roll around town thumping rudely to everyone within a 200 yard radius. Some others work hard to make as little noise as possible out of consideration because other peoples' noise is absolutely infuriating and they don't want to be a noise polluter. I sleep with ear plugs jammed in my head and noise cancelling headphones with a white noise track at moderate volume over the top of the earplugs, in an often futile attempt to block out the godawful noise pollution the inconsiderate constantly generate.

Am I a prematurely grumpy curmudgeon when it comes to noise, particularly noise like a halyard slap that can be so easily corrected? You bet your ass. I'd have to sail to sail for days if not weeks to find peace and quiet. The very best thing about the sea is the complete lack of leafblowers and subwoofer cars.

Stay off my lawn. :D

capta 03-10-2017 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my solution for slapping halyards. Bring the snap shackle to a point on deck and the bitter end through it. Take the bitter end back up and clove hitch it to both, then split the two lines with the bitter end below and above the clove hitch. Never had it loosen even slightly in hurricane force winds.

troy2000 03-10-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amwbox (Post 3850025)
Noise is funny. Some people make a lot of noise, and don't think anything of it. They walk around banging and clanking things, loudly exclaiming verbally and with simple noises about every little thing that enters their field of vision. They stomp up and down stairs. They belly laugh like Klingons. Or maybe they are constantly whistling or singing or just talking to themselves. Maybe they blast their car stereo loudly and roll around town thumping rudely to everyone within a 200 yard radius. Some others work hard to make as little noise as possible out of consideration because other peoples' noise is absolutely infuriating and they don't want to be a noise polluter. I sleep with ear plugs jammed in my head and noise cancelling headphones with a white noise track at moderate volume over the top of the earplugs, in an often futile attempt to block out the godawful noise pollution the inconsiderate constantly generate.

Am I a prematurely grumpy curmudgeon when it comes to noise, particularly noise like a halyard slap that can be so easily corrected? You bet your ass. I'd have to sail to sail for days if not weeks to find peace and quiet. The very best thing about the sea is the complete lack of leafblowers and subwoofer cars.

Stay off my lawn. :D

Some people can't handle silence. I've had them get absolutely twitchy in my pickup before, when I refuse to turn on the radio or slap a disc in...

nolatom 03-10-2017 12:19 PM

I blame (clanging) aluminum spars. Spruce gave a nice woody sound.

Okay, I'm getting kinda old...

ianjoub 03-10-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3849793)
It's really about commonly accepted courtesy, not individual tolerance. Then again, I think this thread was intended to be a little more fun than a debate.

Yes, I am reading it that way. I was just sharing my take on it that it would never have occurred to me that a slapping halyard would irritate someone else THIS MUCH.

Zanshin 03-10-2017 04:29 PM

I'm in the same aggravated trades as Mark is in right now (about 500 yards upwind of him), and my problem isn't the halyards since I've got those wrapped tight. My problem is the da**ed wheel lock. When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to overcome the wheel lock and it SQUEELS for about 5 seconds and wakes me up. I'm lazier than Mark since instead of getting up, removing the wheel cover and tying the wheel to something with a piece of line, I just pretend that there won't be any more gusts that strong and I can just shut my eyes again. I was only wrong 10-15 times last night, and there's still no line attached to the wheel :)

travlin-easy 03-10-2017 04:34 PM

:)

Donna_F 03-10-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 3850657)
I'm in the same aggravated trades as Mark is in right now (about 500 yards upwind of him), and my problem isn't the halyards since I've got those wrapped tight. My problem is the da**ed wheel lock. When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to overcome the wheel lock and it SQUEELS for about 5 seconds and wakes me up. I'm lazier than Mark since instead of getting up, removing the wheel cover and tying the wheel to something with a piece of line, I just pretend that there won't be any more gusts that strong and I can just shut my eyes again. I was only wrong 10-15 times last night, and there's still no line attached to the wheel :)

Hi stranger!

capta 03-10-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 3850657)
When a big gust hits and the boat is at end extreme end of one swing and then is jolted to the opposite end of the swing the forces on the rudder are strong enough to :)

Have you considered the stress on your steering system of having the wheel slam from lock to lock with that much force?
I will do anything to stop my wheel from spinning. Most of the time the wheel lock will do the trick, but if not then the helm is tied securely, but simply.

capta 03-10-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 3850321)
I blame (clanging) aluminum spars. Spruce gave a nice woody sound.

Okay, I'm getting kinda old...

I was the one who had to keep those varnished spars varnished. Do you honestly think I would ALLOW a halyard to slap my mast for even a millisecond? Heck, I kept trying to find a way to keep the wind from blowing on them when not sailing.
A bit of anodizing on the other hand, well OK, for a few slaps or so.

RegisteredUser 03-10-2017 05:39 PM

When the person who invented rap music passes away...I will hold my own private party.

Minnesail 03-10-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 3850745)
When the person who invented rap music passes away...I will hold my own private party.

Biggie passed away 20 years ago yesterday.

The Notorious B.I.G.

travlin-easy 03-10-2017 06:51 PM

RAP is NOT music, at least from my perspective as a retired musician/singer/entertainer. But, I'm old, so what the Hell do I know? ;)

RegisteredUser 03-10-2017 07:42 PM

Noise...

When I was a kid I rode 2-cycle bikes and loved the...noise.
Same with chainsaws.
Did concerts where ear drums were never a concern.
I'm guessing mid 40s or so I stopped liking 'noise'...just for the sake of noise.
But even now, a hot V8 on steroids sings like sex and I do get off on that.
Slapping halyards are background noise...until it gets to be too much, and then you donate a bungee....

Our sensitivities change, I guess.

Minnesail 03-10-2017 08:13 PM

I'm off to a rap show right now.

As Jaylah said in Star Trek, "I like the beats and shouting."

Towguy 03-11-2017 01:50 PM

This is funny thread,as I have just spent a week on a boat in a marina...the first night was windy of course and...everyone on the boat kept mention the constant tapping of halyards,creaking of wheels and such..it would change as the wind shifted we all didn't sleep all tat well the first night but by the end ,we had at least ours tucked away nicely every night and no one even mentioned it at all,it became all part of the harbour sounds......Ralph

Zanshin 03-11-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 3850705)
Have you considered the stress on your steering system of having the wheel slam from lock to lock with that much force?
I will do anything to stop my wheel from spinning. Most of the time the wheel lock will do the trick, but if not then the helm is tied securely, but simply.

Ummm, I said that there was a squeel from the wheel brake which is not the same as a "slam". It moved slowly. As I mentioned, the wheel lock was overpowered and I was just too sleepy to get up and tie a line. If it were actually slamming I would have acted.

outbound 03-12-2017 10:26 AM

Have sissy bars halyards go there except main which goes to guard on dorade. Problem is in strong winds we've had recently allowing no east movement down here they will occasionally slap inside the mast. Can decrease by making them very tight ( light turn with a winch) or surprisingly a bit loose. Still line to expand cf spin pole will slap. So take a sail tie and pull it away form pole. Other noise comes from boom and gooseneck. Get rid of it by tying sail tie to mainsheet block on boom. Then to grabrail on hard dodger. Then pull tight with traveler.

For other peoples halyards would like to use a knife or tie them off with granny knots. Haven't got there yet but time will come. Have identified boat's playing rap at 2 am. Have run the dinghy around them a few times at 6am before leaving anchorage once.

troy2000 03-12-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 3852201)
Have sissy bars halyards go there except main which goes to guard on dorade. Problem is in strong winds we've had recently allowing no east movement down here they will occasionally slap inside the mast. Can decrease by making them very tight ( light turn with a winch) or surprisingly a bit loose. Still line to expand cf spin pole will slap. So take a sail tie and pull it away form pole. Other noise comes from boom and gooseneck. Get rid of it by tying sail tie to mainsheet block on boom. Then to grabrail on hard dodger. Then pull tight with traveler.

For other peoples halyards would like to use a knife or tie them off with granny knots. Haven't got there yet but time will come. Have identified boat's playing rap at 2 am. Have run the dinghy around them a few times at 6am before leaving anchorage once.

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who's awakened at 3 AM by a phone call from his neighbor, telling him to shut his [email protected]#ing dog up. Next night he calls the neighbor back at 3 AM to tell him, "I don't own a [email protected]#ing dog."

Rocky Mountain Breeze 03-13-2017 10:52 PM

When Mark was being annoyed by his own boat I was sound asleep but awoken by a phone call from the Colorado State University Veterinary Science Department because they had a cryogenic freezer down at midnight. I had to get out of bed, drive 12 miles, and troubleshoot a 20 year old freezer designed to operate at -80 which had caused a breaker to trip. Turns out it was a bad breaker. My heart bleeds for those of you who have to undergo such a rough existence. Just think how much easier it would be if you worked for a living or were subsistence farming.........

aeventyr60 03-13-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze (Post 3854401)
When Mark was being annoyed by his own boat I was sound asleep but awoken by a phone call from the Colorado State University Veterinary Science Department because they had a cryogenic freezer down at midnight. I had to get out of bed, drive 12 miles, and troubleshoot a 20 year old freezer designed to operate at -80 which had caused a breaker to trip. Turns out it was a bad breaker. My heart bleeds for those of you who have to undergo such a rough existence. Just think how much easier it would be if you worked for a living or were subsistence farming.........

Yep, last thing on my list is a tube of sunscreen for this weeks cruise down to Langkawi. Then I get to figure out how this new cruising chute flies.....light winds and about 85 F...might not even put a shirt on...hey, what are shoes anyway?