11Likes
  • 8 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By Faster
  • 1 Post By ianjoub
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

And then there are days like yesterday....

The forecast was for a solid 20 knots of wind slightly south of east. Well that's Ok, we're headed slightly west of south. There'll be no need to make easting on this trip, a rare day of sailing in the Eastern Caribbean. That is our mantra when sailing down here; make all the easting we can, early in the trip. With the winds generally from the east and the current generally setting west, a mile or so of easting can make or break a trip. We hate those long slogs under power directly into the wind to get into a bay we might have made under sail, had we pushed her just a bit more to the east.
Oh well, none of that this day. As usual, we ran from Port Elizabeth to West Cay under jib alone. The wind is usually fluctuating 15 degrees on either side if dead astern, so we don't raise the main until we round West Cay. But it was a swift trip anyway, as the funnel of Admiralty Bay had the breeze a bit above the outside winds.
Rounding West Cay the seas were somewhat smaller than we expected, as the wind had been blowing for quite a few days at 20 to 25 knots. We cranked in the Yankee to a beam reach and rolled out the main to the deep reef position, the norm for West Indian winter sailing. It was immediately apparent we were under powered, but we waited a bit till we were well clear of Bequia's influence before we decided to let out more sail. After about 15 minutes we brought the main out to a very shallow reef.
What a sleigh ride! Sails set just slightly forward of a beam reach and Skipping Stone was strutting her stuff. Virtually no helm and seas abaft the beam; perfect! Out goes the fish line and fingers are crossed. Not that we need fish tonite as we had arranged to have dinner at Vanessa and Sekkie's place on the beach in Chatham, but it's always nice to have fish in the fridge. However, it wasn’t looking promising as the day wore on; there are no birds around and flying fish were few and far between. OK Neptune, we'll hedge the odds. Out comes the 12 foot outrigger and instantly the lure is bubbling away like the flying fish it is meant to represent. What fish can resist that?
We threat between a few squalls, only getting a slight dusting of rain, but the calms before and after are frustrating. Then we’re barreling along again. The outrigger clip snaps and it’s a nice cuda, which Nikki steaks up and puts in the fridge. Thank you.
We sail to anchor in Chatham Bay, Union Island and remark at how much fun this sail was. These are the days we get as payment for those other less pleasant, more stressful ones. But really, they're all better than the alternative, to us. Thank you Neptune for the excellent day.
Stats: 29.2 miles, 6.5k average, 10.7k max speed, 24.2k max wind out of the east. Average speed w/o the run from Port Elizabeth to West Cay and the tacking into Chatham under Yankee alone was around 7.4 knots. Not at all bad for this old 77,000# girl, with just the Yankee and a lightly reefed main.
BarryL, Faster, oldlaxer1 and 5 others like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2017

Re: And then there are days like yesterday....

Sounds like a good one, Capta..

Steady rain and 5-6 deg C here today...
capta likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Sounds like a good one, Capta..

Steady rain and 5-6 deg C here today...
You have my deepest condolences.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2017

Capta,

We are waiting here for a Noreaster w/Snow Tuesday. Mid March winter on the Cape won't let go.

PS - Do you bring riggers on Skipping Stone or did you put release clips on a spinnaker pole or something ....thinking of copying your idea...
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2017
Land lubber

Hmmmm, not bad.

I did an eval on 2 properties we need to renovate then snaked out a sewer drain (shoveling up the cleanout and all). I really do not enjoy sloshing around in other peoples' shi!t.

Always remember, it could be worse.
oldlaxer1 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2017

I thought winter was over so I had taken off the boom tent and bent the sails back on. The forecast is for somewhere between 6 inches and 100 feet of snow😎 so today I put the boom tent back on and then put the plow and chains on the tractor. I'd much rather be where you are Capta. After all this I'm guessing we'll get 1/2 an inch. Schools of course will be closed and there will be a run on milk,bread and toilet paper!

Ianjoub, you have my deepest sympathies.

Cheers,
John

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
The Following User Says Thank You to oldlaxer1 For This Useful Post:
ianjoub (03-12-2017)
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
PS - Do you bring riggers on Skipping Stone or did you put release clips on a spinnaker pole or something ....thinking of copying your idea...
Picked up a real rigger in Martinique. Still working out the bugs, but I think it will help in these depleted waters.
Attached Thumbnails
outrigger.jpg  
capecodda likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2017

.....and I'm sitting here hoping my winter cover holds up over the next couple of days.

I dream of the day where planning my return to New England has barely occurred to me by mid-Mar.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2017

12 to 18 inches of snow forecast for me tomorrow and Wednesday, and in just 5 short weeks the boat goes in the water. Damned I hate winter in Maryland.

All the best,

Gary
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2017

Up and in a holding pattern, going to be a long 24+ hours in a plow truck, after 4 days of bitter cold!
This has got to be the wierdest Canadian winter I've seen, +12C on day -16C the next. Big snow then it all melts off......

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in