Documentation renewal - beware - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 65 Old 04-04-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Documentation renewal - beware

Back in the 70's I remember one business article that claimed the cost of sending out one simple business letter was actually FIVE DOLLARS. That's 45 years ago. The cost was not the paper, not the envelope, not the ink and stamp, but the real cost including amortizing out the typewriter, the squaree feet of office space for the desk and mail room, the employee time for typing and posting it, the heating, cooling, or light for said office and employee....the whole shebang, the total cost of maintaining the entire structure that is required not just the incidental cost of one more letter.

Documentation involves a letter, plus 45 years of inflation, plus the cost of the fancy papers, PLUS the costs of maintaing the facilities for keeping the title database and a means for lienholders and repo men to go update and get the data.

$26 for five years to maintain that system and to touch base with registrants to make sure they are still around, does not seem unreasonable. In fact, if you file a FOIA request, you can probably get the accounting information because in theory the GAO or someone does cost breakdowns on everything before they set fee structures.

NYS treats boats as "motor vehicles". The registration used to be the title ("pink slip" even though it was green" but NYS maintains colorful paper titles separately now. The titleholder and the registrant may not be the same. Every state funds this stuff differently, some charge peanuts, some an arm and a leg, but they get you one way or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 04-04-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Back in the 70's I remember one business article that claimed the cost of sending out one simple business letter was actually FIVE DOLLARS. That's 45 years ago. The cost was not the paper, not the envelope, not the ink and stamp, but the real cost including amortizing out the typewriter, the squaree feet of office space for the desk and mail room, the employee time for typing and posting it, the heating, cooling, or light for said office and employee....the whole shebang, the total cost of maintaining the entire structure that is required not just the incidental cost of one more letter.

Documentation involves a letter, plus 45 years of inflation, plus the cost of the fancy papers, PLUS the costs of maintaing the facilities for keeping the title database and a means for lienholders and repo men to go update and get the data.

$26 for five years to maintain that system and to touch base with registrants to make sure they are still around, does not seem unreasonable. In fact, if you file a FOIA request, you can probably get the accounting information because in theory the GAO or someone does cost breakdowns on everything before they set fee structures.

NYS treats boats as "motor vehicles". The registration used to be the title ("pink slip" even though it was green" but NYS maintains colorful paper titles separately now. The titleholder and the registrant may not be the same. Every state funds this stuff differently, some charge peanuts, some an arm and a leg, but they get you one way or another.
Hellosailor, your thoughtful response has no place here, you take all the fun out of the *****fest

Let me put some fun back in .... The misleading business practice that started this debacle is fostered by an "Accredited and Certified Marine Surveyor" who got his certification at this company. take a look at their free offer .... obviously another highly regarded outfit . see a pattern here ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #33 of 65 Old 04-04-2017

Quote:
...$26 for five years to maintain that system and to touch base with registrants to make sure they are still around, does not seem unreasonable.
How about if it was every year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #34 of 65 Old 04-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
How about if it was every year?
I checked my renewal documentation certificate and--sure enough--it expires next April 30.

On the lighter side, what else can you buy for your boat for only $26?
post #35 of 65 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

My brother got the reminder letter the other day and almost fell for the $75 fee, but I was able to warn him before he renewed.

Again, ONLY use this website and pay $26 to the CG, not $75.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

Catalina 34
post #36 of 65 Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter

Here's a link to BOAT US warning boaters about this.

https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=1280
post #37 of 65 Old 04-17-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Complaints to the US Postal Inspectors and the FTC, as well as any local consumer protection agencies, may be of use.

The letters are being mistaken for official correspondence, and that makes them "deceptive marketing" which IS grounds for FTC action and for the USPI to terminate all mail services to the company, should they choose to do so. The USPI can also raise the question of whether it is mail fraud and sanction them further.

Yes, they've got to receive multiple complaints to do that. But then again, one day I got a reply to "do not call" violations asking me if I would be willing to testify if needed, because someone had just been served a $10,000 fine as a result of some simple complaints. Drop in the ocean, sure, but like a thousand lawyers in chains, a good start.
post #38 of 65 Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Complaints to the US Postal Inspectors and the FTC, as well as any local consumer protection agencies, may be of use.

The letters are being mistaken for official correspondence, and that makes them "deceptive marketing" which IS grounds for FTC action and for the USPI to terminate all mail services to the company, should they choose to do so. The USPI can also raise the question of whether it is mail fraud and sanction them further.

Yes, they've got to receive multiple complaints to do that. But then again, one day I got a reply to "do not call" violations asking me if I would be willing to testify if needed, because someone had just been served a $10,000 fine as a result of some simple complaints. Drop in the ocean, sure, but like a thousand lawyers in chains, a good start.
The BOAT US press release also suggested filing a complaint with the Post Office and gave contact info. They also suggest filing a complaint with BOAT US as well (they do have some clout)
post #39 of 65 Old 04-19-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The nice thing about the (often disorganized, overworked, or simply uninterested) Postal Inspectors is that they are something like the IRS: They can do what they please, and if you don't like it, YOU have to go to court to change things.

So if they tell a local postal station "No more mail deliveries to that company" that's it, they are pretty much dead in the water if they are a mail-order scammer, or business. Obviously they don't do that lightly, but at least they do own "the big hammer" and have the option of using it. All they have to do is see the letter and say "Yeah, this looks like it is pretending to be a government entity..." and the can of whupass can get opened.
post #40 of 65 Old 04-19-2017 Thread Starter

I posted this alert on another boating forum and one of the members said he fell for it and even signed up for the 5 year renewal. That's a lot of money down the drain. That's why I'm trying my best to alert as many people as possible.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in