Weird Roundup under bridge... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 04-13-2017

Re: Weird Roundup under bridge...

Pretty sure we're talking about a bridge without a tender and an airdraft of maybe 100ft, with abutments rather far part too. Yes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Pretty sure we're talking about a bridge without a tender and an airdraft of maybe 100ft, with abutments rather far part too. Yes?
Yes, that is a pretty much standard fixed bridge over ICW

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #13 of 21 Old 04-13-2017 Thread Starter

Yes, regular ICW bridge, about 64ft of clearance. Pretty wide. Used to get engine running but now feeling a little more confident. Motor wouldn't have helped this. This was a roundup, pure and simple. My fiddle block on the main sheet has a cam cleat that faces down. So, a little snap of the sheet down lets it go, a little pull and lift up and it locks. It's the only one I ever worked with, so I don't know what else is out there. Sure glad I didn't hit that fender, it would have been bad. I don't need any problems like that. Boats get dismasted like that, right? kev

post #14 of 21 Old 04-13-2017

It looks like there is a 600' opening by the old bridge approaches and it would appear the currents are minimal--probably peaking at much less than 2 kts. The fixed Rt 520 bridge vertical clearance is 65' and its horizontal clearance (channel center) is 90', with a total span of about 1600' (shore to shore). You would have to watch for traffic in the opening, but the waterway appears to be very wide on either side of the opening.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-13-2017 Thread Starter

No currents. It's a bog, or more precisely, a lagoon. It is a rare thing to have a current. It's 30 miles north and south to any inlets. Sebastion to the south and Ponce inlet to the north. Fifteen years ago, you could see the bottom from the boat in 12 feet of water. See the grass waving. Now, it's a mud hole. Brown algae. Runoff. I dive on my boat to clean bottom, good viz is 2-3 feet, maybe. Nothing but mud on the bottom. No sunlight gets through. Poor lagoon, killed by man. Spent the last 30 years on the Indian River, hope it comes back someday. kev
post #16 of 21 Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Must have been a vortex or something there under the bridge. Great learning experience and I'll be a lot more alert next time I go under a damned bridge. Kevin

TWO 'possibles' here
Could have been a wind vortex cause by the shape of the bridge structure; OR, could have been a combo of an aerodynamic 'rotor' - PLUS, an increase in water velocity in close proximity to and as deflected by the bridge structure during tide flow (or simply being too close to structure when the boat is 'at speed').

In the case of a water velocity increase (from tide rip, etc.) due to water 'deflection' by the structure ... the zone of higher speed water will tend to 'suck' you into the structure. If interested in the technicals, do web search for "vena contracta".
This is the very same reason that LARGE ships do not / will not pass close to one another when at speed ... as the increased water velocity of the between the two (plus a generated 'trough' of water between the two ships) will tend to cause each to get 'sucked into' one another ... all due to anomalies of 'hydraulics'.

Its good you survived unscratched, which is the best part of any 'surprise' education.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-13-2017
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

In the case of a water velocity increase (from tide rip, etc.) due to water 'deflection' by the structure ... the zone of higher speed water will tend to 'suck' you into the structure. If interested in the technicals, do web search for "vena contracta".

This is the very same reason that LARGE ships do not / will not pass close to one another when at speed ... as the increased water velocity of the between the two (plus a generated 'trough' of water between the two ships) will tend to cause each to get 'sucked into' one another ... all due to anomalies of 'hydraulics'.

Bernoulli lurks at the base of every bridge...
RichH and chef2sail like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #18 of 21 Old 04-13-2017
Seņor Member

FB - Did you have any jib out?
post #19 of 21 Old 04-13-2017 Thread Starter

130% jib out. You know, I know what you guys mean, going fast, too close to the fender. I have never gone under that bridge going that fast, under sail. Usually 2 or 3 knots, real slow, mostly with the engine on and in gear, cause of the slow speed. That might have been a factor, along with a puff. kev
post #20 of 21 Old 04-14-2017
cdy

Its a fixed bridge - no bridge tender, not much current, tide in Cocoa - most likely just a wind incident( not current related) my boat is moored just on the southwest side of the 520 bridge,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in