SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/282361-anyone-interested-taking-my-lancer-28-down-san-diego-berkeley-marina.html)

sheltonbaby 04-25-2017 01:22 AM

anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

I own a Lancer 28 Mark V 1982 here in Berkeley Marina but am thinking of ways to transfer it down to San Diego since I'll be spending most of this summer down there with my little kids. If no one here has the interest/time I'm open to suggestions on how I can find a reliable sailor to take my boat down south? Also, I don't have a slip down in San Diego at this point, so I'd also appreciate any info on which Marinas I should be contacting for a slip... thanks much in advance!:pirateraft:

capttb 04-25-2017 10:01 AM

Re: anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

The Log newspaper publishes a guide to marina in California, most availability in San Diego seems to be the South Bay (Chula Vista).
San Diego ? The Log

midwesterner 04-25-2017 03:45 PM

Re: anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

The Lancer 28 seems like a capable boat. People will likely want to know more about how equipped it is for a long coastal passage of that sort. What navigational and communications equipment does it have?: VHF, with DSC and AIS?; Chartplotter?; Radar and/or radar reflector? That route takes you through shipping lanes coming out of San Francisco and L.A. and others. There could also be foggy days.

How old, or new is the standing rigging and the running rigging? What size engine does it have? Number of hours? How confident are you of it's ability to make the passage. What would you say are the greatest areas of need for maintenance?

sheltonbaby 04-25-2017 05:38 PM

Thanks capttb for the 'log', glad to hear there are available spots down there, even though its slightly more expensive than bay area prices (for a change!)

Thank you midwesterner, all valid points and makes one wonder how much $$ this tough/challenging journey might end up costing me if we were to go this route (vs transferring it via a trailer on I-5!)

I do see boats for sale under $2K down in SD that seems to be in not so horrible condition for a summer, but who knows..? (its easy to say so by browsing Craigslist pages)

RegisteredUser 04-25-2017 05:47 PM

Just a thought...
See if you have something like Sea Scouts there. Maybe offer your boat to them, assuming it's in good shape for the trip, for some grand adventure to take it south...
They could get great PR out that...if somebody on their end was smart....

krisscross 04-25-2017 06:00 PM

I'm not sure I would take a chance with this boat on this particular trip, even if it was in good shape and decently equipped. You can encounter some rough conditions out there and this particular boat has a very shoal draft (lack of stability in big seas and high winds) and is not known for robust construction. It is a trailerable lake sailer IMO, not even a coastal run boat. It would be much safer to just ship the boat.

roverhi 04-25-2017 07:29 PM

If it's a typical Lancer, the hull was designed by C&C with the deck a Lancer addition. Not the best built boats but adequate construction for this trip if you keep an eye on the WX. Just made the trip in a Sabre 28 and this winter the constant Low Pressure cells passing through made getting a weather window of more than a week very iffy. We ducked into Monterey and Morro Bay to fix things that had gone wrong. Ended up sailing for only one day and powering for 3 days to get the boat from Alameda to Oceanside.

Hopefully with the end of winter, it will be back to prevailing NWesterlies so the trip will be a reach with optimal winds. Forecasting is quite good so you can bail out if weather doesn't look good. Would take plenty of fuel as the chances are good you'll have to power much of the time once you get around Point Conception and maybe even before.

midwesterner 04-26-2017 05:36 PM

One bearing on the decision to sail your boat south is which Lancer you have. Sailboatdata.com shows a Lancer 28 MarkV with a displacement of 3400 and ballast of 1200 and a Lancer 28T MarkV with a displacement of 5200 and ballast of 2600. The lighter of the two would really get tossed around out there beyond the bridge.

Minnesail 04-26-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwesterner (Post 3903850)
One bearing on the decision to sail your boat south is which Lancer you have. Sailboatdata.com shows a Lancer 28 MarkV with a displacement of 34,000 and ballast of 12,000 and a Lancer 28T MarkV with a displacement of 52,000 and ballast of 26,000. The lighter of the two would really get tossed around out there beyond the bridge.

A 28' boat that displaces 52,000 pounds?

twoshoes 04-26-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesail (Post 3904082)
A 28' boat that displaces 52,000 pounds?

I think there may be an extra zero there, or the entire hull and keel are made of depleted Uranium.