anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina) - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to sheltonbaby
anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

I own a Lancer 28 Mark V 1982 here in Berkeley Marina but am thinking of ways to transfer it down to San Diego since I'll be spending most of this summer down there with my little kids. If no one here has the interest/time I'm open to suggestions on how I can find a reliable sailor to take my boat down south? Also, I don't have a slip down in San Diego at this point, so I'd also appreciate any info on which Marinas I should be contacting for a slip... thanks much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2017

Re: anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

The Log newspaper publishes a guide to marina in California, most availability in San Diego seems to be the South Bay (Chula Vista).
San Diego ? The Log

"Just call me TB"
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-2017

Re: anyone interested in taking my Lancer 28 down to San Diego (From Berkeley Marina)

The Lancer 28 seems like a capable boat. People will likely want to know more about how equipped it is for a long coastal passage of that sort. What navigational and communications equipment does it have?: VHF, with DSC and AIS?; Chartplotter?; Radar and/or radar reflector? That route takes you through shipping lanes coming out of San Francisco and L.A. and others. There could also be foggy days.

How old, or new is the standing rigging and the running rigging? What size engine does it have? Number of hours? How confident are you of it's ability to make the passage. What would you say are the greatest areas of need for maintenance?

post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to sheltonbaby

Thanks capttb for the 'log', glad to hear there are available spots down there, even though its slightly more expensive than bay area prices (for a change!)

Thank you midwesterner, all valid points and makes one wonder how much $$ this tough/challenging journey might end up costing me if we were to go this route (vs transferring it via a trailer on I-5!)

I do see boats for sale under $2K down in SD that seems to be in not so horrible condition for a summer, but who knows..? (its easy to say so by browsing Craigslist pages)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2017

Just a thought...
See if you have something like Sea Scouts there. Maybe offer your boat to them, assuming it's in good shape for the trip, for some grand adventure to take it south...
They could get great PR out that...if somebody on their end was smart....
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2017

I'm not sure I would take a chance with this boat on this particular trip, even if it was in good shape and decently equipped. You can encounter some rough conditions out there and this particular boat has a very shoal draft (lack of stability in big seas and high winds) and is not known for robust construction. It is a trailerable lake sailer IMO, not even a coastal run boat. It would be much safer to just ship the boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2017

If it's a typical Lancer, the hull was designed by C&C with the deck a Lancer addition. Not the best built boats but adequate construction for this trip if you keep an eye on the WX. Just made the trip in a Sabre 28 and this winter the constant Low Pressure cells passing through made getting a weather window of more than a week very iffy. We ducked into Monterey and Morro Bay to fix things that had gone wrong. Ended up sailing for only one day and powering for 3 days to get the boat from Alameda to Oceanside.

Hopefully with the end of winter, it will be back to prevailing NWesterlies so the trip will be a reach with optimal winds. Forecasting is quite good so you can bail out if weather doesn't look good. Would take plenty of fuel as the chances are good you'll have to power much of the time once you get around Point Conception and maybe even before.
sheltonbaby likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-2017

One bearing on the decision to sail your boat south is which Lancer you have. Sailboatdata.com shows a Lancer 28 MarkV with a displacement of 3400 and ballast of 1200 and a Lancer 28T MarkV with a displacement of 5200 and ballast of 2600. The lighter of the two would really get tossed around out there beyond the bridge.

Last edited by midwesterner; 04-27-2017 at 03:18 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
One bearing on the decision to sail your boat south is which Lancer you have. Sailboatdata.com shows a Lancer 28 MarkV with a displacement of 34,000 and ballast of 12,000 and a Lancer 28T MarkV with a displacement of 52,000 and ballast of 26,000. The lighter of the two would really get tossed around out there beyond the bridge.
A 28' boat that displaces 52,000 pounds?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
A 28' boat that displaces 52,000 pounds?
I think there may be an extra zero there, or the entire hull and keel are made of depleted Uranium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in