28'' S2 8.5 (4'6 keel) in the Chesapeake ? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter

28'' S2 8.5 (4'6 keel) in the Chesapeake ?

Hi,

I'm looking for a shoal draft 25 Catalina or similar boat to travel the Bay.

a 28'' S2 8.5 (4'6 keel) has come up at a good price....should I wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2017
Master Mariner

Re: 28'' S2 8.5 (4'6 keel) in the Chesapeake ?

I'd be more inclined to wait, as I doubt you'd get too much sailing in on a 28 inch boat! lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 4 Old 04-27-2017

Beat me to it....lol!! Anyway, the bay is not that shallow all over. A 5'-6' keel is very doable in most places, just refer to your charts and know your cruising area.

Pull up the Navionics webapp on your computer and check for yourself: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=miegF%7CpzpM

1973 Pearson 39 "Brandy"

post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2017
Administrator

4'6" should be no problem on most of the bay. My prior Boat, a 28 footer drew 5'-0 and I routinely cruised the Chesapeake on her with no problem at all. My current boat draws 6-4" and that hasn't restricted where I cruise the Bay all that much.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in