Advice on NC inlets. Which do you feel are safe and which are terrible? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bristol299bob
  • 1 Post By travlin-easy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter

Dock
Advice on NC inlets. Which do you feel are safe and which are terrible?

I'd love to get some advice on what inlets you guys feel ok with and what inlets you avoid using. If anyone has any resources like webpages that discuss this exact topic I'd be much appreciative.

I'm ready to stretch my legs and go beyond the Pamlico Sound. I sail out of Oriental, NC on a Morgan 321 shoal keel that draws 4'. I've been to Cape Lookout via Beaufort Inlet of course but I'm looking for opinions on what other inlets on the coast of NC are generally ok and the ones to be avoided. In addition, any opinions on rounding Cape Lookout, and Cape Hatteras (I know) I'd also be very interested in. For example: How far do you suggest going out to round Lookout? That sort of thing.

I'm looking specifically for NC coastal inlets that lead out to sea. example: Bogue, Oregon, Beaufort, etc...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Advice on NC inlets. Which do you feel are safe and which are terrible?

Cape Fear, Masonboro, and Beaufort are easy. The inlets such as Oregon Inlet along the Outer Banks all require a lot of local knowledge to transit safely.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2017

Agree 100% with SVAuspicious

I'd recommend this book https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a little out of date but still quite an impressive work.

I'm sure you are aware that any inlet can be a handful at times. Even the mostly benign Beaufort Inlet can kick up some impressive breaking waves in wind against current situations. So use caution and common sense.

No reason *not* to round Cape Lookout and head north but watch the weather before you do. If you decide on this route, your next safe inlet will be the Chesapeake bay, that's a long haul for your first time venturing out. Are you singlehanding?

Here are some shorter options that get you out into the Ocean

- motor down to Wrightsville beach via ICW
- Leave Masonborro late in the day
- sail overnight to Cape Lookout.
- spend a day or more at Cape Lookout to enjoy it and rest up.
- back to Beaufort and back home.

This is a great coastal nighttime sail. If you leave from Masonboro Inlet you will be arriving at a familiar place (vs leaving out of Beaufort and entering Masonboro Inlet for the first time). You could probably do this in daylight but if you are stretching your legs you'll need experience at night anyway.

Other "leg stretching" sails could be:

- Beaufort to Little River Inlet (or vice versa)
- Beaufort to Charleston (or vice versa)
RichH likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Absolutely. I carry that book along on US East Coast deliveries. It's a fundamental part of bailout plans. I use the book to support decision-making and electronics for navigation.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2017 Thread Starter

Dock

Thanks for the response. This is great advice. Thanks guys. Exactly what I'm looking for. SVAuspicious, you reinforced my hesitation on the smaller inlets. I'm relieved to hear it's a good idea to stay away from them. I did Beaufort inlet last weekend when the tide was going out and it was no joke. I've been looking at Mansonboro to Cape Lookout. That's a great idea to ICW down then return.

I don't see myself singlehanding in the ocean any time soon. I have a couple highly skilled crew that would go with me although their knowledge of the inlets and ICW is limited.

Any concerns on depth going around Cape Lookout? Play it safe and give it plenty of respect and distance south I suppose?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-29-2017

CG reports shoaling around Bogue Sound Inlet. Excellent anchorage inside Cape Lookout bite for those coming in late from an off shore or attempting an off shore passage..
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2017

When the weather is good and your boat has less than 4' draft, local inlets can be done without much problem. Just go slow, watch the locals, and keep an eye on the tides and depth.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2017

Oregon Inlet is nothing more than a slot through the surf and not at all suitable for sailboats - even during slack tide. Hatteras Inlet, though a bit better, is still quite dangerous and I would avoid it like the plague. Both are difficult to navigate in a powerboat.

Good luck,

Gary
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in