America's Cup 2017 - SailNet Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 168 Old 05-03-2017 Thread Starter

America's Cup 2017

Have I been living under a rock, or has nobody been talking much about this year's race? Is nobody suing anybody this time? Are smaller foiling cats (a good thing IMO) or the less accessible venue making a difference? The race had some good momentum coming out of the last battle in '13.

I had actually planned to make the crossing in June, but those plans were skunked by the crew. Logistics were a bit tough and likely would have consumed too much of our sailing season in New England.
titustiger27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 Old 05-03-2017
1968 Columbia 50

Re: America's Cup 2017

From my perspective, they have gone so far away from what real sailors and cruisers sail, that there is no real connection to it anymore. They have a huge image problem, and they created it. The designs are cutting edge and rely on technology so much, in my opinion, and it is less about tactics, and the crew. Most of my friends are now more interested in the VOR than the Americas Cup. My father in law helped in designing many of the boats in the mid 70' through late 80's for the US team, now I could care less.
chuck5499 and oysterman23 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
chuck5499 (05-28-2017)
post #3 of 168 Old 05-03-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
From my perspective, they have gone so far away from what real sailors and cruisers sail, that there is no real connection to it anymore. They have a huge image problem, and they created it. The designs are cutting edge and rely on technology so much, in my opinion, and it is less about tactics, and the crew. Most of my friends are now more interested in the VOR than the Americas Cup. My father in law helped in designing many of the boats in the mid 70' through late 80's for the US team, now I could care less.
I felt pretty much the same way going into the last Cup. I changed my opinion, when I saw the announcing and graphics that laid out the race, like a real sporting event. Certainly, the comeback made a huge sporting difference, even if I'm no Ellison fan. Not like the days of Dennis Connor, which were the only sport to be more boring on TV than golf, despite the boats closer connection to the rest of us. I did think the last Cup was raced on boats that were too dangerous and apparently, so did they.

The VOR is an amazing race, but is ridiculously too long for the mass market. The ACC finals are just about max duration.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 168 Old 05-03-2017
Barquito

I think the current AC is now more about crew compared to the past. It now takes a bit of athleticism to just keep the boat upright and moving.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 168 Old 05-03-2017

We are on our way to Bermuda in a week or so. Were in SF for the last one. If you think fewer tactics are involved, then you either haven't been paying attention or have selective bias. There were more tacking duels and lead changes in a single race last time than in the entire series event of the previous mono races. I think I read that the SF race series had more tacking and lead changes than all of the modern times AC races combined.

The athleticism to just stay on those boats exceed almost anything in today's professional sports, let alone sail and operate them. They are on extreme training programs that have been ongoing for years - sophisticated equipment, special diets, technical monitoring, etc. These athletes are certainly WAY above the level ever required to sail anywhere - particularly the fat-soaked, lard-ass, lazy AC drift races of the past (was Dennis Conner or his contemporaries ever in even moderate high school athletic shape?).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #6 of 168 Old 05-03-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
From my perspective, they have gone so far away from what real sailors and cruisers sail, that there is no real connection to it anymore. They have a huge image problem, and they created it. The designs are cutting edge and rely on technology so much, in my opinion, and it is less about tactics, and the crew. Moest of my friends are now more interested in the VOR than the Americas Cup. My father in law helped in designing many of the boats in the mid 70' through late 80's for the US team, now I could care less.
I thought this when the American showed up one year with a catamaran against a monohull and made a farce of the AC that year.

Many racing sports such as cars are the hotbed of innovation for future use. If you want to test sailing skills tune into the Olympics where everyone has the same boat.

The old 12 meter boats are beautiful and fantastic and race in one design classes. However we're only owned and sailed by elite.

The Americas Cup now is a combo of design skill, athletic prowess, sailing and tactical skill and racing ability.
They are the pinnacle of teamwork. Times have moved forward as has the Cup racing.
capta likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 168 Old 05-04-2017

Yea, I'd rather watch the Volvo, but I also enjoy watching these high tech foiling machines. It will be TV and youtube for me, but I will watch it and do enjoy it. The foiler's are so fast that it seems to me that a lot of the race is over at the start; however, I remember some close tacking situations in SF that were pretty darn exciting. Hope there is a lot of that in Bermuda.

We help out at the Volvo when it comes to Newport so I am admittedly biased. We were there to watch a run from South America end with the 2 lead boats within a minute of each other at the finish after 6,000 miles that took my breath away. Matched boats, a crew race and an open ocean race to boot...with in port races for live spectating.

These two events are different, IMHO both are well worth following and do a lot to promote and advance this activity that we so love.
chef2sail and rbrasi like this.
post #8 of 168 Old 05-04-2017 Thread Starter

I see they have an app, which seems can be used to watch the races live. I remember having trouble gettting to watch the races, when I was out sailing myself. I think I had to get NBC Sports app and sign up with my home cable account, or something like that. Hopefully this app works well and has the same level of graphics as the broadcast did last time.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 168 Old 05-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
If you want to test sailing skills tune into the Olympics where everyone has the same boat.

The old 12 meter boats are beautiful and fantastic and race in one design classes.
Keep in mind that these AC boats are one design class with everyone having essentially the same boat. Yes, there can be tweaking differences within the design rule limits, but that was the same with the 12 meters and many other classes.

Mark
chef2sail likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #10 of 168 Old 05-04-2017
Mermaid Hunter

The movie Wind comes to mind. 11.30 and on. Note 11.55.
capta likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in